The Student Room Group

TSR Foreign Affairs Hub

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by sandys1000
I don't really see how he can keep denying it. At least he's not still got complete immunity.

I think this may be the end of him. THis whole Bunga Bunga episode will not disappear
Original post by Aj12
I think this may be the end of him. THis whole Bunga Bunga episode will not disappear

Yeah, hopefully with the extra legal, and political pressure finally properly coming to bear, this may be the case. I think that for quite a while, it was probably laughed off in many quarters, but that doesn't seem to be the case any more.
Original post by Aj12

You guys shouldnt underestimate him....

The end of him was apparently when he had the Vote of No Confidence when 4 of his ministers deflected to Fini's party...everyone was like YES THE END OF BUNGA MAN!..and what happened?..he survived it contrary to many peoples expectations..

The dynamics in Sub-Saharan Africa are totally different.
Reply 85

I doubt it will spread to China. China is not some banana republic run by some tin pot dictator. China is rich enough and much of the population is now starting to see a good rise in their living standards. Democracy will come to China but not in the form of an uprising.

I disagree with this guy btw..what do you guys think?
In Iran: Mir Hossein Mousavi (ex two term Prime Minister of the Islamic Regime) and Mehdi Karroubi (ex Speaker of the Islamic Regime's Consultative Assembly), now both "reformist opposition leaders", have been arrested along with their wives and taken to prison, according to Mousavi's website.

http://www.kaleme.com/1389/12/09/klm-49729/
http://www.freedomessenger.com/?p=23964
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 88
Original post by Democracy
In Iran: Mir Hossein Mousavi (ex two term Prime Minister of the Islamic Regime) and Mehdi Karroubi (ex Speaker of the Islamic Regime's Consultative Assembly), now both "reformist opposition leaders", have been arrested along with their wives and taken to prison, according to Mousavi's website.

http://www.kaleme.com/1389/12/09/klm-49729/
http://www.freedomessenger.com/?p=23964

Will the state execute them?
Original post by Aj12
Will the state execute them?

I'm not sure. On the one hand both Mousavi and Karroubi have been servants of the Islamic Regime since day one and neither of them have called for the overthrowing of the regime or anything like that. They are not radicals. Then again the people of Iran use them as an excuse to come out and protest and they demand the overthrowing of the regime. That is certainly alarming for the current ruling faction of the Regime.

On the whole I don't think they will be executed, though I wouldn't be surprised if they are imprisoned. It's interesting though that since 2009 this regime has been constantly fighting itself. Either this purge of the "reformist" element of the Regime will result in a strengthened Islamic Republic, or it will completely destroy it. With the correct response from the international community and the indefatigable resistance of the Iranian people however, the latter option is certainly attainable and it is therefore only a matter of time.
I , as a representative of many people in Britain, heavily condemn Israel for their violation of human rights in palestine. The UN has also heavily condemed Israel, for the continual murder of children.

In addition, many globally condemn Bahrain and Saudi Arabia, for their violent crackdown on peaceful pro-democratic supporters, and violation of human rights
Original post by Democracy
I'm not sure. On the one hand both Mousavi and Karroubi have been servants of the Islamic Regime since day one and neither of them have called for the overthrowing of the regime or anything like that. They are not radicals. Then again the people of Iran use them as an excuse to come out and protest and they demand the overthrowing of the regime. That is certainly alarming for the current ruling faction of the Regime.

On the whole I don't think they will be executed, though I wouldn't be surprised if they are imprisoned. It's interesting though that since 2009 this regime has been constantly fighting itself. Either this purge of the "reformist" element of the Regime will result in a strengthened Islamic Republic, or it will completely destroy it. With the correct response from the international community and the indefatigable resistance of the Iranian people however, the latter option is certainly attainable and it is therefore only a matter of time.

*sigh*

You are clearly bias against the current government, because they are independant , succesful, and are not bullied into policies by the US government.

Shall we have a debate on Iran?

One more thing, the current president won the elections by over 10 , 000 , 000 votes, he got the majority.

... should labout voters cause havock and protest because the tories / lib dems are in government, or should we, as democratic people accept the winners ?

Do you want Iran to turn into shah again, where people and poverty was so high, and the shah took most of irans wealth, built massive houses and spent it on themselves

Ahmadinejad does not accept his presidential salary, he says it is the peoples money

he has stayed in the same house, and even sleeps on the floor

Slander him, tell a half - baked story, but God is with Ahmadinejad,the president of Iran, i know he is with truth, and if you honestly do not like his politics, then fair enough , that is a democracy, you got your vote, but if you are a simply trying to topple Iran, then you will account for it

(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 92
Original post by sixthformer
*sigh*

You are clearly bias against the current government, because they are independant , succesful, and are not bullied into policies by the US government.

Shall we have a debate on Iran?

One more thing, the current president won the elections by over 10 , 000 , 000 votes, he got the majority.

... should labout voters cause havock and protest because the tories / lib dems are in government, or should we, as democratic people accept the winners ?

Do you want Iran to turn into shah again, where people and poverty was so high, and the shah took most of irans wealth, built massive houses and spent it on themselves

Ahmadinejad does not accept his presidential salary, he says it is the peoples money

he has stayed in the same house, and even sleeps on the floor

Slander him, tell a half - baked story, but God is with Ahmadinejad,the president of Iran, i know he is with truth, and if you honestly do not like his politics, then fair enough , that is a democracy, you got your vote, but if you are a simply trying to topple Iran, then you will account for it

http://www.iranian.com/main/blog/faramarz-fateh/ahmadinejads-hidden-wealth-170-million

Then we have loverly remarcks from him

http://glossynews.com/top-stories/politicos-and-polticians/201009170104/ahmadinejad-concentration-camps-merely-weight-loss-centers-for-rich-jews/

The main problem that the president of Iran has is that no president would get a vote could that high. He got something like 90% with absolutely no international observation.
Original post by Aj12
http://www.iranian.com/main/blog/faramarz-fateh/ahmadinejads-hidden-wealth-170-million

Then we have loverly remarcks from him

http://glossynews.com/top-stories/politicos-and-polticians/201009170104/ahmadinejad-concentration-camps-merely-weight-loss-centers-for-rich-jews/

The main problem that the president of Iran has is that no president would get a vote could that high. He got something like 90% with absolutely no international observation.

Again , you keep mistating something you probably heard on Fox news, which with all due respect, is propaganda in it's own form.

He actually won the votes by 64%

BBC :

Iran confirms Ahmadinejad victory

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad was officially returned for a second term
Iran's top electoral body, the Guardian Council, has confirmed the victory of Mahmoud Ahmadinejad in the presidential election after a partial recount.

News of the decision, which comes after a series of protests by the opposition against what it says was a rigged ballot, was announced by state TV.

The 12-strong council is the most influential body in Iran and is currently controlled by conservatives.

Some 17 people are thought to have died during opposition street protests.

"The secretary of the Guardian Council in a letter to the interior minister announced the final decision of the Council... and declares the approval of the accuracy of the results of... the presidential election," the state broadcaster said.

A partial recount of the election carried out on Monday showed no irregularities in the vote, Iran's English-language Press TV television station added, according to Reuters news agency.

Mr Ahmadinejad was officially re-elected with 63% of the vote on 12 June.

Clearly, just because david cameron and nick clegg won, does not mean we should fight against him

again, like many people before you, you have mis-stated facts, heared propaganda, and believed it.

I congratulate Iran on it's scientific achievements, to keep this thread on topic
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 94
Again , you keep mistating something you probably heard on Fox news, which with all due respect, is propaganda in it's own form.

He actually won the votes by 64%

BBC :

Iran confirms Ahmadinejad victory

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad was officially returned for a second term
Iran's top electoral body, the Guardian Council, has confirmed the victory of Mahmoud Ahmadinejad in the presidential election after a partial recount.

News of the decision, which comes after a series of protests by the opposition against what it says was a rigged ballot, was announced by state TV.

The 12-strong council is the most influential body in Iran and is currently controlled by conservatives.

Some 17 people are thought to have died during opposition street protests.

"The secretary of the Guardian Council in a letter to the interior minister announced the final decision of the Council... and declares the approval of the accuracy of the results of... the presidential election," the state broadcaster said.

A partial recount of the election carried out on Monday showed no irregularities in the vote, Iran's English-language Press TV television station added, according to Reuters news agency.

Mr Ahmadinejad was officially re-elected with 63% of the vote on 12 June.

Clearly, just because david cameron and nick clegg won, does not mean we should fight against him

again, like many people before you, you have mis-stated facts, heared propaganda, and believed it.

I congratulate Iran on it's scientific achievements, to keep this thread on topic

Haha this thread has no topic but still.

Clegg and Cameron were not vetted before voting by some kind of "gurdian council" Iran is a million miles from democracy. The rulers pick who runs.

Here are some other problems with the election

More than 100%

In two Conservative provinces, Mazandaran and Yazd, a turnout of more than 100% was recorded.

No swing At a provincial level, there is no correlation between the increased turnout, and the swing to Ahmadinejad. This challenges the notion that his victory was due to the massive participation of a previously silent Conservative majority.

Reformist votes In a third of all provinces, the official results would require that Ahmadinejad took not only all former conservative voters, and all former centrist voters, and all new voters, but also took up to 44% of former Reformist voters, despite a decade of conflict between these two groups.

Rural votes In 2005, as in 2001 and 1997, conservative candidates, and Ahmadinejad in particular, were markedly unpopular in rural areas. The claim that this year Ahmadinejad swept the board in more rural provinces in 2009 flies in the face of these trends.

The source is Wiki. Purely because it gives an overview and I am lazy:tongue:
Original post by Aj12
Haha this thread has no topic but still.

Clegg and Cameron were not vetted before voting by some kind of "gurdian council" Iran is a million miles from democracy. The rulers pick who runs.

Here are some other problems with the election

More than 100%

In two Conservative provinces, Mazandaran and Yazd, a turnout of more than 100% was recorded.

No swing At a provincial level, there is no correlation between the increased turnout, and the swing to Ahmadinejad. This challenges the notion that his victory was due to the massive participation of a previously silent Conservative majority.

Reformist votes In a third of all provinces, the official results would require that Ahmadinejad took not only all former conservative voters, and all former centrist voters, and all new voters, but also took up to 44% of former Reformist voters, despite a decade of conflict between these two groups.

Rural votes In 2005, as in 2001 and 1997, conservative candidates, and Ahmadinejad in particular, were markedly unpopular in rural areas. The claim that this year Ahmadinejad swept the board in more rural provinces in 2009 flies in the face of these trends.

The source is Wiki. Purely because it gives an overview and I am lazy:tongue:

He won the election fairly and democratically by 63% of the votes to get elected a second time. It is the Iranian people who choose the people, no-one else.

They elected him fairly.

Clearly, but you know and i know, tht Iran, being one of the only countries not to be influenced negatively by the US, clearly will get lies and propaganda.

Propaganda one : You told me 90% of the people voted for him,which must have meant it was rigged. This was your premise, and your premise was false. Thus, you did not do any researched, and i have been debating someone who was , not your fault, but mi-informed and lied to. This intself, brought light to people i debate , and their real intentions? Some people argue when their wrong, so that people think their strong. Be mindful of the diseases of the heart, and find a cure.

Do you think he said he wanted israel to be wiped of the map?

Tell me this::

Iran allows full inspectio nof it's nuclear facilities, and does not or nor intends to posses a nuclear bomb, said by the president so many times.

Israel has hundreds , and does not allow inspection, and has in the past few years broken many world and humanitarian laws.

Now tell me, logically, why impose sanctions on the one who abides law, is tranparent, yet, fund the last?

No, my heart and my mind tells me it is clear propaganda, and i take this time to URGE the UN, to respect and adhere to it's duty.
Reply 96
He won the election fairly and democratically by 63% of the votes to get elected a second time. It is the Iranian people who choose the people, no-one else.

They elected him fairly.

Clearly, but you know and i know, tht Iran, being one of the only countries not to be influenced negatively by the US, clearly will get lies and propaganda.

Propaganda one : You told me 90% of the people voted for him,which must have meant it was rigged. This was your premise, and your premise was false. Thus, you did not do any researched, and i have been debating someone who was , not your fault, but mi-informed and lied to. This intself, brought light to people i debate , and their real intentions? Some people argue when their wrong, so that people think their strong. Be mindful of the diseases of the heart, and find a cure.

Do you think he said he wanted israel to be wiped of the map?

Tell me this::

Iran allows full inspectio nof it's nuclear facilities, and does not or nor intends to posses a nuclear bomb, said by the president so many times.

Israel has hundreds , and does not allow inspection, and has in the past few years broken many world and humanitarian laws.

Now tell me, logically, why impose sanctions on the one who abides law, is tranparent, yet, fund the last?

No, my heart and my mind tells me it is clear propaganda, and i take this time to URGE the UN, to respect and adhere to it's duty.

90% was a figure I got wrong. Bear in mind I was pretty drunk when I as responding to your posts last night:colondollar:

Israel maintains a ambiguity policy. They will not confirm nor deny the presence of weapons. Indeed they to should have to have inspections. However all the pressure in the world will not work on them.

Iran is hardly transparent. Its a dictatorship that allows the people to elect a figurehead. Amadinijad (spelling?) is nothing more than that. Never forget there are people pulling his strings.

My argument again and again has gone with regards to nuclear weapons. Disarmament will never happen. Once a country has weapons they will not give them up. It will be better for the entire region if Iran does not have weapons.

The Arab states hate each other. Israel unifies their hatred. However if Iran gets nuclear weapons every other state will want them. We will see a nuclear arms race and end up with a powder keg ready to blow at any spark.
Original post by Aj12
90% was a figure I got wrong. Bear in mind I was pretty drunk when I as responding to your posts last night:colondollar:

Israel maintains a ambiguity policy. They will not confirm nor deny the presence of weapons. Indeed they to should have to have inspections. However all the pressure in the world will not work on them.

Iran is hardly transparent. Its a dictatorship that allows the people to elect a figurehead. Amadinijad (spelling?) is nothing more than that. Never forget there are people pulling his strings.

My argument again and again has gone with regards to nuclear weapons. Disarmament will never happen. Once a country has weapons they will not give them up. It will be better for the entire region if Iran does not have weapons.

The Arab states hate each other. Israel unifies their hatred. However if Iran gets nuclear weapons every other state will want them. We will see a nuclear arms race and end up with a powder keg ready to blow at any spark.

I've given you my stance, refuted all of your claims, i am no longer going to engange in a debate with you on this matter, you have heard all of what i have had to say on my nuclear thread, if you truly believe you are right, then fine, i will account to my lord, and so to will you.
Reply 98
I've given you my stance, refuted all of your claims, i am no longer going to engange in a debate with you on this matter, you have heard all of what i have had to say on my nuclear thread, if you truly believe you are right, then fine, i will account to my lord, and so to will you.

You have not refuted any of my arguments on this. Your argument seems to boil down to what an amazing country Iran is and how wonderfully democratic it is. Something that I have told and others have told you is wrong.
Reply 99
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-13491445

Might as well add something to this older thread.

A south/north Sudan border town has been seized in what the south are calling a declaration of war

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending