The Student Room Group

TSR Foreign Affairs Hub

It was suggested that there be a place for people who don't want to make a thread every single time an interesting development in foreign affairs occurs. So welcome.
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I'll start this thread by expressing my shock over the effects on overwhelming floods in Australia, and how they're expected to get worse.

Saw a youtube video earlier :s-smilie:.
Reply 2
Nice idea.

And yep, I was perplexed too when I heard about it this morning on the radio. I didn't think of it much until Julia Gillard started reeling off statistics. 100 missing, 10 confirmed deaths, 6500 homes in danger with the death toll set to rise despite Army efforts. They've had the worst luck for the past 3 years.
Original post by Mujeriego

Nice idea.

And yep, I was perplexed too when I heard about it this morning on the radio. I didn't think of it much until Julia Gillard started reeling off statistics. 100 missing, 10 confirmed deaths, 6500 homes in danger with the death toll set to rise despite Army efforts. They've had the worst luck for the past 3 years.

Apparently, it is the worst they have in a decade. Have you seen footage of it? Cars were being washed away, as if they weighed nothing.
I wasn't too happy when I came across this: China's alleged stealth fighter. Let alone its claims that its military remains decades behind its counterpart in U.S. To me this sounds like an enormous piss-take and a déjà-vu, after all, didn't we witness an almost identical scenario in the 1930s?
(edited 13 years ago)
If China wants to expand in Asia, it doesn't really matter if its military is decades behind the US because they won't do anything directly to stop them. I think China's military technology will vastly improve over the next decade or so and the gap will close significantly, especially as the US can't exactly afford to invest heavily but China can and will.
Reply 6
Original post by Stalin
I wasn't too happy when I came across this: China's alleged stealth fighter. Let alone its claims that its military remains decades behind its counterpart in U.S. To me this sounds like an enormous piss-take and a déjà-vu, after all, didn't we witness an almost identical scenario in the 1930s?

Whats wrong with China claiming its military is decades behind the US? Surely it is? The US is the only country with a 5th gen Fighter the best any one else has can only be classed at best as 4.5
Original post by Aj12
Whats wrong with China claiming its military is decades behind the US? Surely it is? The US is the only country with a 5th gen Fighter the best any one else has can only be classed at best as 4.5

Analysts believe that the new Chinese aircraft may be able to defeat the F-22 in a dogfight. As for decades behind, I find that farcical. Its anti-ship ballistic missile certainly poses an enormous threat towards U.S. carrier groups in the Pacific Ocean charged with defending Japan, South Korea et al.
Original post by CombineHarvester
If China wants to expand in Asia, it doesn't really matter if its military is decades behind the US because they won't do anything directly to stop them. I think China's military technology will vastly improve over the next decade or so and the gap will close significantly, especially as the US can't exactly afford to invest heavily but China can and will.

Which is precisely why this is a serious problem.
Reply 9
Original post by Stalin
Analysts believe that the new Chinese aircraft may be able to defeat the F-22 in a dogfight. As for decades behind, I find that farcical. Its anti-ship ballistic missile certainly poses an enormous threat towards U.S. carrier groups in the Pacific Ocean charged with defending Japan, South Korea et al.

I find it had to believe really. China's new plane will not even be operational till at least 2019. Seems far to early to be predicting what it can and cannot do.

I'm very wary of this missile in development. I doubt it has taken the US by surprise and I doubt it will be long before counter measure exist. I always find it odd when countries are so open about their weapons.

They may be developing their weapons but you still need coherent strategy and a good communications infrastructure.
Original post by Lord Hysteria
Apparently, it is the worst they have in a decade. Have you seen footage of it? Cars were being washed away, as if they weighed nothing.

Yeah. Quite a few UK news sites have local footage and updates are streaming every half hour or so. First the drought then the forest fires and now the floods. I can't understand how and why the weather in Australia has become so unpredictable lately. Worst yet is the people in Toowomba haven't got a chance in hell because it's situated inland of a massive mountain range and resources have to be flown in. Britain still hasn't committed to disaster relief either.....:K:

Original post by Stalin

Why?
Original post by Aj12
I find it had to believe really. China's new plane will not even be operational till at least 2019. Seems far to early to be predicting what it can and cannot do.

I'm very wary of this missile in development. I doubt it has taken the US by surprise and I doubt it will be long before counter measure exist. I always find it odd when countries are so open about their weapons.

They may be developing their weapons but you still need coherent strategy and a good communications infrastructure.

Their words, not mine. What I don't understand is why they would leak their alleged stealth fighter. It makes very little sense to do so unless of course, it's not a stealth fighter, but instead, a mere model.

It hasn't taken the U.S. by surprise, however, the U.S. has--as far as the public is concerned--failed to counter it. If this alleged model--which could very well be a complete lie--has actually been developed and has a range of 900 miles it presents immense trouble.
Why?

Why is the militarisation of a country a serious problem? I'll let you work it out. However, before you do so, don't think of it as the militarisation of a nation the size of say, Iran. Instead, think about 1.3 billion people; an economy which has been growing at a rate of 10%~ for the last 20 years; a country committed to annexing Taiwan; a country which has laid claims to the South China Sea; a country which brutally oppresses the people of China; and a country which has nuclear capabilities.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Stalin
Their words, not mine. What I don't understand is why they would leak their alleged stealth fighter. It makes very little sense to do so unless of course, it's not a stealth fighter, but instead, a mere model.

It hasn't taken the U.S. by surprise, however, the U.S. has--as far as the public is concerned--failed to counter it. If this alleged model--which could very well be a complete lie--has actually been developed and has a range of 900 miles it presents immense trouble.

Hmm. The US's is something like 700 billion. It seems odd China could build tech that can compete with this on a budget of 70 billion.
Have you considered just making a Foreign Affairs Group (like the old Societies) if there isn't already one?
Original post by Aj12
Hmm. The US's is something like 700 billion. It seems odd China could build tech that can compete with this on a budget of 70 billion.

The U.S. is on roughly £500 billion, whereas China is on at least £100 billion (no one knows for sure).
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Stalin
The U.S. is on roughly $500 billion, whereas China is on at least $100 billion (no one knows for sure).

Just going by what I saw today. The BBC put the US on 700 billion.

Do you think the US will start helping India arm up to counter China?
Original post by Aj12
Just going by what I saw today. The BBC put the US on 700 billion.

Do you think the US will start helping India arm up to counter China?

Indeed, my mistake. $700 billion is equal to just less than £500 billion (I work in £s and €s these days). :smile:

Of course it will. Obama endorsed India's bid to become a permanent member of the UNSC and Brown did the same thing last year, or the year before. It wouldn't surprise me if some sort of anti-Chinese coalition-U.S., EU, Japan, South Korea, India, Indonesia, Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, Australia, Vietnam and perhaps even Russia--was formed to contain Chinese expansionism.
Reply 18
Original post by Stalin
Indeed, my mistake. $700 billion is equal to just less than £500 billion (I work in £s and €s these days). :smile:

Of course it will. Obama endorsed India's bid to become a permanent member of the UNSC and Brown did the same thing last year, or the year before. It wouldn't surprise me if some sort of anti-Chinese coalition-U.S., EU, Japan, South Korea, India, Indonesia, Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, Australia, Vietnam and perhaps even Russia--was formed to contain Chinese expansionism.

Sorry my mistake not putting a $ sign

Asia defiantly. I was actually surprised by how few freinds China seems to have in the surrounding area.

It will be an interesting decade for China.

I do not think we are heading for an inevitable crash between the west and China though. There is a lot that could be gained from working together. Though judging by Chinas policy in Africa it seems they see themselves as a lone star sort of state.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Stalin

Original post by Stalin

What is your objection to China? The fact that they might attack the USA ... out of interest ...

-----

The UN "peacekeeping" force is such a bunch of worthless ****wits.

The UN need to use force to get rid of Gbagbo, and send him to the war crimes court. Get serious! Deploy air forces to bomb the offices where Gbagbo is hiding and take a progressive stance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending