The Student Room Group

Any hope for non-uni people?

If one person doesn't even want to do A Levels and wants to quit study after GCSEs, is there any future for someone like that?

Can you do anything except working at McDonald's or some supermarket or something?

Would you look down at someone who quits education after the age of 16?

Just want some views on this.

BTW This does not apply to me. I will be (hopefully) going to uni from this September, but I am just asking for views on someone in that position.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
I was in the same position as this... you do have the option of applying for apprenticeships.
However I found that studying is a more safer option as there are no jobs out there and you'll find when you get out of Uni there are hardly any jobs either...
My advice is to stay on and get some qualifications as you might need them later in life, even if you do not enjoy it.
I hate it but i'm doing it for reassurance.
Personally, I wouldn't look down on anyone who left school at 16, particularly if they had a good reason for it.

Some people know exactly what they want to do in life, and if this doesn't require university then I think that it's probably just a waste of time going to uni, ecspecially if they know they wont enjoy the course or do well.

There are loads of jobs that you can do that aren't in McDonalds or a supermarket with only GCSEs and some people with little, no or poor GCSEs become very successful. For example, Cheryl Cole has no GCSEs and alot of candidates on the apprentice this year seemed to mention the fact that they had poor GCSEs and still did well in life.

I think that as long as you know what your doing, then you can still be successful without higher education.
Reply 3
I wouldn't say there is no hope. Ofcourse those careers that need a degree eg; teaching, medicine, law are a no-go.

Working your way up the 'career ladder' is possible, with your strong point being your experience.
Reply 4
I know quite a few people that did this who are doing fine now. The majority aren't but the majority that quit at that age weren't the smartest.

If you've got brains and some kinda idea of what you want to do you can easily do better than the average university graduate, and without the debt.
There is a difference between no education whatsoever and no formal education.

If you dont want a formal education, fine. You can learn things on your own and be successful without qualifications. But you do actually have to learn stuff, getting no education whatsoever will leave you competing with 16yr olds for minimum wage jobs all of your life.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
It is possible.

I know someone who left school after his GCSE's and went straight into retail.

4 years later, he's a store manager and doing pretty well for himself.

I also know people who have gone into general office work straight from school because they wanted to work straight away, and are doing quite well :smile:
Reply 7
Career ladder. Just expect to be making the tea for years..
Entrepreneurs can do very well. You don't need qualifications to start your own business.
However maybe A levels are a good idea. They aren't needed though, because if you get a job you can become successful by working your way up on merit. You can become an accountant and similar jobs straight after A levels.
Reply 9
I know a bloke who has made about £40 million selling stolen kettles, he's only 17.
Reply 10
Original post by Paperkissx
I wouldn't say there is no hope. Ofcourse those careers that need a degree eg; teaching, medicine, law are a no-go.

Working your way up the 'career ladder' is possible, with your strong point being your experience.

I'm afraid you're wrong, you can gain a Professional Diploma in Law and Practice and then study for a Professional Higher Diploma, which would make you more qualified than having a Law degree.

You could study the AAT accountancy qualification if you're interested in becoming an accountant.
Start your own business. Preferably an online-business. In a couple of years if you put in enough determined consistent effort you can make a lot of money. Since you're young, if you start now - by the time you're 20 you'll be earning at least £3,000 a month.
Reply 12
If you are a driven person you can still be successful.

You could argue that sales/trade is more lucrative than the majority of post grad career paths bar law, medicine etc

It could even be fair to suggest that there will always be more jobs in those sectors as well...
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Chocolate219
Personally, I wouldn't look down on anyone who left school at 16, particularly if they had a good reason for it.

Some people know exactly what they want to do in life, and if this doesn't require university then I think that it's probably just a waste of time going to uni, ecspecially if they know they wont enjoy the course or do well.

There are loads of jobs that you can do that aren't in McDonalds or a supermarket with only GCSEs and some people with little, no or poor GCSEs become very successful. For example, Cheryl Cole has no GCSEs and alot of candidates on the apprentice this year seemed to mention the fact that they had poor GCSEs and still did well in life.

I think that as long as you know what your doing, then you can still be successful without higher education.

Woah, I never knew that! In fact, I thought GCSEs were compulsory anyway? :curious:. Most of those celebrity-type people don't really need uni for the type of careers they have, so fair play to them.

I made a thread recently on a similar topic: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=29214340
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
Woah, I never knew that! In fact, I thought GCSEs were compulsory anyway? :curious:. Most of those celebrity-type people don't really need uni for the type of careers they have, so fair play to them.

I made a thread recently on a similar topic: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=29214340

Yeah, GCSEs are compulsory but that doesn't mean people pass them =S
Original post by Chocolate219
Yeah, GCSEs are compulsory but that doesn't mean people pass them =S

Oh OK. You can use the "edit" button to edit or delete your posts btw.
Original post by EMMIIEPlay
I was in the same position as this... you do have the option of applying for apprenticeships.
However I found that studying is a more safer option as there are no jobs out there and you'll find when you get out of Uni there are hardly any jobs either...
My advice is to stay on and get some qualifications as you might need them later in life, even if you do not enjoy it.
I hate it but i'm doing it for reassurance.

That's true....it's not easy.
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
Oh OK. You can use the "edit" button to edit or delete your posts btw.

Sorry! I'm new to all this, only got an account yesterday! Hopefully in a few years I'll fit in and have a clue what to do on here =S

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending