The Student Room Group

aqa biology unit 1 january 2011 actual paper

1(a) Name A-
1(b) Name two structures present in an epithelial cell from the small intestine that are not present in a cholera bacterium.
1(ci) Give one advantage of using a TEM rather than a SEM
1(cii) Give one advantage of using a SEM rather than a TEM
1(D) Calculate the actual width of the cholera bacterium between points B AND C. Give your answer in micrometres and show your working.
1(e) Describe the relationship between the number of deaths from cholera and the height at which people lived above sea level.

2(ai) Describe the induced fit model of enzyme action.
2(aii) Describe one way that the lock and key model is different from the induced fit model.
2(b) Use the diagram and your knowledge of enzymes to explain how sulfanamide prevents bacteria producing folic acid.

3(a) (i) which of the blood vessels, D to G carries oxygenated blood to the heart.
3(aii) carries deoxygenated blood to the lungs?
3(b) Explain, in terms of pressure, why the semilunar valves open.
3(c) When a wave of electrical activity reaches the AVN, there is a short delay before a new wave leaves the AVN. Explain the importance of this short delay.
3(di) Calculate the athlete's stroke volume after training. Show ur working.
3(dii) Use onformtion from the table to explain how training has caused the resting heart rate of this athlete to be lower.

4(a) OMEGA-3 fatty acids are unsaturated. what is an unsaturated fatty acid?
4(b) Do the data show that eating omega- 3 fatty acids prevents CHD? Explain.
4(c)Name bond x.
4(cii) A triglyceride does not contain sucrose or bond x. Give one other way in which the structure of a triglyceride is different to olestra.
4(cii) Starting with separate molecules of glucose, fructose and fatty acids, how many molecule of water would be produced when one molecule of olestra is formed?

5(a) Before reweighing, the student blotted dry the outside of each cylinder. xplain why.
5(b) complete the table to show how he made 20 cm cubed of a 0.2 moles per decimetre cubed NaCl solution.
5(c) The student calculated the precentage change in mass rather than the chnage in mass. Explain the advantage of this.
5(d) The student carries out several repeats at each concentration of sodium chloride solution. Explain why the repeats were important.
5(e)Use the graph to find the concentration of sodium chloride solution that has the same water potential as the potato cylinders.

6(a)HPV vaccine is offered to girls aged 12 to13. Suggest why it is offered to this age group.
6(b) The vaccine is made from HPV types 16 and 18.Explain why this vaccine may not protect against other types of this virus.
6(c) Three injections of the vaccine are given. Use your knowledge of immunity to explain why.
6(d) It will be many years before it can be shown that this vaccination programme has reduced cases of cervical cancer. Suggest 2 reasons why.
6(e)Smear tests will continued to be offered to women, even if they have been vaccinated. Suggest why women who have been vaccinated still need to be offered smear tests.
6(f) Suggest 1 reason why vaccinating a large number of people would reduce significantly the spread of HPV through the population.

7(a) Pulmonary TB is a disease of the lungs. Describe the transmission and course of infection pulmonary TB.
7b) Emphysema is another disease of the lungs. People with emphysema may feel weak and tired. Explain why.
Reply 1
Anyone got answers??
Reply 2
You could just go through the book and work out the answers for yourself :smile:
Reply 3
yh but they can't all be worked out like that!
Reply 4
Original post by -skill-
yh but they can't all be worked out like that!

Let me know which ones you got stuck on and I'll help :smile:
Reply 5
where have the answers gone?
does any1 know what the grade boundary's for this test could be..June 2010 was 45 for an A..I found this test harder..does any1 agree with me..Im worried coz if it becomes 45+ for an A..then I may miss out
Reply 7
Original post by usamakhanlodhi
does any1 know what the grade boundary's for this test could be..June 2010 was 45 for an A..I found this test harder..does any1 agree with me..Im worried coz if it becomes 45+ for an A..then I may miss out

Hi, this is what has been posted elsewhere:

Predicted Grade boundary:

A: 39
B: 34
C: 29
D: 24
E: 19
U: Anything below 19

But im not sure. We can only wait and see, i would use this with caution as more of a guide.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending