The Student Room Group

1 billion people are starving

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Tell me about it! Lunch is a whole 3 hours away!
Original post by Aj12
Wonder how many get thrown in prison for asking for freedom of speech or basic democratic rights

The "1,000,000 lifted out of poverty" are just shot and put out of their misery :frown:
"Thank you for signing this petition to end hunger. The petition will be presented to governments at an event taking place in Rome, Italy on 29 November 2010."

Bit late perhaps?
Reply 43
But I don't want the UN to make it their top priority.. I'd rather they make space exploration their top priority, or fusion energy research, or any kind of renewable energy really. "Hunger" is such a vague thing to 'solve'.

Original post by Aj12
No I just do not agree with evil dictatorships like China who oppress control and bully their people.

Where would you rather live though, China or Somalia? Surely you aren't so blind you can't see the positives in China even if you don't directly agree with the governing style.
Reply 44
Original post by xarcul
I'm not naive, I know that this won't change the world, but surely its just a little something?

Sign the petition!

http://www.1billionhungry.org/xarcul/

The problem is that too many poor people are breeding. Overpopulation will be a massive threat to global stability in the coming century. Africa, for instance, is going to double to 1.5 billion people. That is totally unsustainable and efforts need to be made to introduce contraception ASAP.

I like Garrett Hardin's essay on Lifeboat ethics & the case against helping the poor.

Environmentalists use the metaphor of the earth as a "spaceship" in trying to persuade countries, industries and people to stop wasting and polluting our natural resources. Since we all share life on this planet, they argue, no single person or institution has the right to destroy, waste, or use more than a fair share of its resources.

But does everyone on earth have an equal right to an equal share of its resources? The spaceship metaphor can be dangerous when used by misguided idealists to justify suicidal policies for sharing our resources through uncontrolled immigration and foreign aid. In their enthusiastic but unrealistic generosity, they confuse the ethics of a spaceship with those of a lifeboat.

So here we sit, say 50 people in our lifeboat. To be generous, let us assume it has room for 10 more, making a total capacity of 60. Suppose the 50 of us in the lifeboat see 100 others swimming in the water outside, begging for admission to our boat or for handouts. We have several options: we may be tempted to try to live by the Christian ideal of being "our brother's keeper," or by the Marxist ideal of "to each according to his needs." Since the needs of all in the water are the same, and since they can all be seen as "our brothers," we could take them all into our boat, making a total of 150 in a boat designed for 60. The boat swamps, everyone drowns. Complete justice, complete catastrophe.

http://www.garretthardinsociety.org/articles/art_lifeboat_ethics_case_against_helping_poor.html
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude
1 billion people are starving?

These stats are severly innacurate, technically under the government criteria, the amount our family is earning of benefits classes us aas " in poverty ".... Yet I can eat over 3000 calories a day for the gym, pay for the gym membership, pay for travel tickets, go out with friends, and buy the **** I want....

It's about relative and absolute poverty. You seem to be in relative poverty whereas these starving people are in absolute poverty.
Reply 46
*Om nom nom nom nom nom*

*pauses...... stares at chocolate wafers"

resume.

*Omnomnomnomnomnom*
I have to agree on this.

Signing a petition wont do anything. Giving money to a charity will help, but it wont solve it. You simply cannot solve world hunger, as that would involve liberating third world countries which are what keep us afloat.

It's Darwinism at it's best, unfortunately it's just the luck of the draw.

However, 'absolutely poor' people having kids is something I cannot fathom.

"We have no money, we cannot feed ourselves. I know, let's ****!"
Reply 48
Original post by JohnC2211
I have to agree on this.

Signing a petition wont do anything. Giving money to a charity will help, but it wont solve it. You simply cannot solve world hunger, as that would involve liberating third world countries which are what keep us afloat.

It's Darwinism at it's best, unfortunately it's just the luck of the draw.

However, 'absolutely poor' people having kids is something I cannot fathom.

"We have no money, we cannot feed ourselves. I know, let's ****!"

Haha, I think you have it round the wrong way. The West sends billions upon billions to prop up third world countries and this is fueling overpopulation. For instance, the African population has surged over the past 50 years.
Reply 49
When do these people die? I mean it's clearly not good that 1 billion people are starving, but if they're literally starving, they'll die after what? A month? If so, how are they getting the energy to reproduce? Do they have a tiny piece of food, then have sex? How are they continuing in existence is my question? I want them to.... I just don't know how they're doing it....

At the very least, the number should be decreasing surely?
(edited 13 years ago)
One Billion and One.... I am bloody hungry!
A petition! This is a completely original idea! I can't believe nobody has tried this before, it's sure to work!
Hmm I'm hungry, I know food supply is scarce..let's have 15 babies.
Hands which have to be fed with food they don't have.
Reply 54
Original post by 01010000 01001010
Yeah, capitalism sucks huh? Corporate and economic globalisation does NOTHING to help third-world countries, yet China manage to pull over 1,000,000 of their inhabitants out of poverty every month.

Clearly you are a fool.

No one in Britain starves. People in China starve.
You seem to act like Britain has the responsibility of the world.

So Britian beats China. How many people in the third-world does China lift out of poverty?
Original post by Huskaris

So Britian beats China. How many people in the third-world does China lift out of poverty?

none because they're smart enough not to spend stupid amounts of money on stupid things

the uk economy is in the ****s yet it still spends millions if not billions on foreign aid....
Reply 56
I knew I had heard that speech before.

Also I'm not going to sign the petition, this is not an issue on which a petition can help
Reply 57
Original post by Mithra
But I don't want the UN to make it their top priority.. I'd rather they make space exploration their top priority, or fusion energy research, or any kind of renewable energy really. "Hunger" is such a vague thing to 'solve'.

Where would you rather live though, China or Somalia? Surely you aren't so blind you can't see the positives in China even if you don't directly agree with the governing style.

No I can see the benefits of it. But those benefits come with a pretty high cost.
Hardly. Even though the children who survive (and this is dangerously low) get put to work at around 4 or 5, that's still 4 or 5 years which they are not providing money, and not providing food, as they are not working on the land.
Original post by Huskaris
Clearly you are a fool.

No one in Britain starves. People in China starve.
You seem to act like Britain has the responsibility of the world.

Clearly you are a fool;
>Completely missing my point
>Implying I am British and/or live in Britain.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending