The Student Room Group

Having trouble sleeping..any advice?

I can't sleep. I haven't actually been to sleep yet and this is becoming a regular habit. I finally fell sleep at about 7am yesterday morning and got up about 11:30am to do my work, which is the last time I slept.

It's ridiculous, how can I get my sleeping pattern back to normal? Or establish some sort of routine? I've tried lying in bed for hours and hours but it makes no difference, I just don't fall asleep. I don't even feel tired at the moment.

Should I just stay awake now and hope I fall asleep at a decent time tonight?
I find that exercise is key for me. When I go for periods where I don't do anything physical, I just can't drift off.
Reply 2
Switch off all computers tvs and stuff at least half an hour before you want to sleep :smile:.

And as has already been said, exercise so you're so tired you fall asleep.

No caffeinated drinks at night either :smile:.
Reply 3
pills lots of pills :colone:
I have some natural remedy sleeping tablets that I take for only a week or so, which get me back into a normal routine of sleep!
also don't go on the computer anytime near before you go to bed, it always makes my mind really active and then I can't rest... and as other people said, do some exercise, have a nice hot bath and get into a reaalllyy comfy bed and you should drift off :h:
Count sheep?
Do you know what you are thinking about when you're trying to get to sleep? If you're worrying about something it's really hard to get to sleep.
have a joint :colonhash:
Reply 6
Thanks for all the suggestions..I'll try exercising and turning my laptop etc off before I sleep!

Original post by bluepanda123
Count sheep?
Do you know what you are thinking about when you're trying to get to sleep? If you're worrying about something it's really hard to get to sleep.

Ironically, I get frustrated about not being able to sleep and worry about wasting the following day feeling tired.
Reply 7
Exercise, alcohol, tablets work great.
Reply 8
Try not to sleep for 24 hours, then u will fall asleep at the right moment. If cannot then do heaps of exercise. Another way is alcohol and sleeping pills, guess thats the worst u can go for which i don recommend personally. But whatever is it, make sure your mind is free and clear. Is hard to sleep when your mind is filled with craps. :colondollar:
Reply 9
No alcohol, no drugs, no tablets. But I'll try all the other suggestions =)
Reply 10
I always listen to a podcast to try and get to sleep. Find the most boring one you can!
I'm quite similar actually, but it doesn't bother me so much.

I figure I'm a Winston Churchill type (no, not fat and smoke a pipe) but only needs a few hours sleep.
3-4 hours does me - believe it or not. I seem to work better this way, my mind if alert and I think better. Maybe it's just extreme sleep deprivation. i have no idea.

I consider 1.30am an early betime now, and it's really been a progressive thing for a few years now.

As for hint and tips:

- Exercise (tires you out a lot quicker)
- Go to the doctor (prescribed meds)
- Eat less sugary foods
- Stay hydrated
- Night nurse is good too. (Not too much though)
- Herbal tea is also good for detox, which premotes better sleep.

Lol, that's all I can really think of besides counting sheep. LMAO
Rohypnol, works like a charm :wink:
Cover a cloth in chloroform, and sniff it, should make you sleep like a baby :smile:
Masturbate/have sex.
Original post by Elf.
Switch off all computers tvs and stuff at least half an hour before you want to sleep :smile:.

And as has already been said, exercise so you're so tired you fall asleep.

No caffeinated drinks at night either :smile:.

these and drinking milk has a sleeplike effect so drink some milk before bed not too much so that u wont wake up to go pee in the morning.. make sure your surroundings are dark
and an hour before u go to bed let ur mind rest, dont watch tv because of the damn light it gives off (or at least it bothers me), maybe read a book, listen to some calm tunes?

if ya want the whole thing u prolly should stay up know and at 19:30 go for a run, to the gym, some easy excersices at home that'll exaust u... when u hit ur limit in heartbeats maybe 20:00, or 20:30? u take a hot shower.. then relax a bit by ca. 21:00 drink milk and get a book u like, maybe already have read? so that there wont be exiting bits were u cant leave it aside and have beethoven in the background. also read it in bed, then by 22:00 shut all the lights and if u want to leave the music on for a bit do so and then drift off peacefully :smile:

If that doesnt work get some sleepingpills, many do use them and they work :smile: if not go to ur doctor

we dont want a repeat in irl from fight club :tongue:
milk + cookies :coma: before bed :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending