Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Smiths

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Its not naked if he has his...*ahem*'parts' covered.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    he IS naked, though he's holding a record to cover his parts. damn record!
    here's a pic of one of them...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ag6r4yqCMAEJXFv.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	138458
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lewys93)
    Err, don't you mean Bernie Taupin?

I agree, there are few people who can put words to emotions as Morrissey. I'm not too keen on him as a person, but he has an incredible talent for writing, even if they are seemingly trivial vignettes, such as 'Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others', although the chorus isn't the most imaginative, as with all Smiths songs, it does everything it needs to - nothing more, nothing less.

My newest favourite:
    Lol because Morrissey is really the guy's full name, isn't it?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The smiths and especially Morrissey, I believe, are a gate way for the people who feel estranged from society to connect. Not meaning to sound sad but all the feelings of being alone tend to disappear when you know that you share the same views as someone else. Morrissey is a genius and one of the biggest enigmas of the 21st century rock scene.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soph.Jade)

Much as I like Morrissey, that was slightly disturbing O.o
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I want to express my 'Smiths appreciation also! I love The Smiths! :flip:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    This is the Smiths song I like.

Correct, LOVE.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I will always hold a very special place in my music heart for The Smiths - my favourite band and I can't see any other artist ever topping them for me personally. Apart from 1 awful song (Golden Lights, which both Marr and Morrissey admit to being their worst song) I absolutely love their entire back catalogue. For me, it's impossible to choose a favourite album let alone song :P I love Morrissey's voice - even without his incredible lyrics, sometimes even his moaning (e.g. consecutively for over 2 minutes on Barbarism Begins at Home) says a thousand words. I love Marr's unique jangly guitar sound that helped to inspire many great guitarists of the 90's and still to this day. The rythm section of Rourke and Joyce was also superb. The fact that they were the first ever band to have an album reach number 1 by promoting it in interviews and live shows alone (no marketing or advertising by the record company) is an incredible achievement. Despite the endless number of bands that have tried to be the new Smiths, there will never be another Smiths, they could only have happened when they did. I think when people first listen to the Smiths they might come to the assumption that they are depressing but for me there is nothing more uplifting than listening to songs where you feel like some-one else feels just as **** as you do in that moment. Also, there are some uplifting, jubilant or just fun songs - Hand In Glove, Handsome Devil, London, What Difference Does It Make, William, Panic, Bigmouth Strikes Again, The Queen Is Dead, Sweet and Tender Hooligan, What She Said, Barbarism Begins at Home, Shakespeare's Sister and This Charming Man are just a bunch off the top of my head.

Sorry, bit of a poorly written fangirl post but I just needed to get my love of the Smiths out there.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    This song was everywhere in 1984
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soph.Jade)

But how does the sun shine from his behind?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh I Really Don't Care)
    But how does the sun shine from his behind?
    I'd love to get a closer look & let you know but somehow I don't see it happening :P
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 08ictn76)
    The smiths and especially Morrissey, I believe, are a gate way for the people who feel estranged from society to connect. Not meaning to sound sad but all the feelings of being alone tend to disappear when you know that you share the same views as someone else. Morrissey is a genius and one of the biggest enigmas of the 21st century rock scene.
    (Original post by glousck)
    For me, it's impossible to choose a favourite album let alone song :P I love Morrissey's voice - even without his incredible lyrics, sometimes even his moaning (e.g. consecutively for over 2 minutes on Barbarism Begins at Home) says a thousand words. I love Marr's unique jangly guitar sound that helped to inspire many great guitarists of the 90's and still to this day. The rythm section of Rourke and Joyce was also superb. The fact that they were the first ever band to have an album reach number 1 by promoting it in interviews and live shows alone (no marketing or advertising by the record company) is an incredible achievement. Despite the endless number of bands that have tried to be the new Smiths, there will never be another Smiths, they could only have happened when they did. I think when people first listen to the Smiths they might come to the assumption that they are depressing but for me there is nothing more uplifting than listening to songs where you feel like some-one else feels just as **** as you do in that moment.

Sorry, bit of a poorly written fangirl post but I just needed to get my love of the Smiths out there.
    Completely agree with everything being said here, they were just the perfect combination of everything really and even more appealing, given Morrissey's often morbid, always fascinating outlook on life.
    Another weird thing about The Smiths, is that almost all their songs seem ordinary in the sense that they do not try to over dramatise or decorate them, it's just pure substance, and for that reason, holds style in equal measure. This is what makes them most satisfying - songs and lyrics you'll savour, but never lose replay value. They really captured this in their name as well: The Smiths simultaneously meaning someone ordinary and someone of great craft.

I love them. I just love them.

I really do
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    ****ing love The Smiths Grew up listening to them as my parents are fans (very jealous that they've both seen them live ) and as others have said, love pretty much everything they've done (apart from the unforgivable "Golden Lights" :grumble:). Couldn't choose a favourite song, but my most played on lastfm is "Still Ill" with "Oscillate Wildly" not far behind.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Im just in love with this thread. As you can see from my username, I absolutely adore Morrissey.
    I think I love The Smiths because I really can connect with their lyrics. They have real passion and emotion in each song which is truly inspiring. I haven't heard anything like them and it makes me sad that I'll never see them in concert.
    I really dislike people that like The Smiths because of 500 days of Summer. As much as I like the movie, that really annoys me!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MorrisseyForever)
    Im just in love with this thread. As you can see from my username, I absolutely adore Morrissey.
    I think I love The Smiths because I really can connect with their lyrics. They have real passion and emotion in each song which is truly inspiring. I haven't heard anything like them and it makes me sad that I'll never see them in concert.
    I really dislike people that like The Smiths because of 500 days of Summer. As much as I like the movie, that really annoys me!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Try being in the second row at a Moz gig and being stood behind people who are entirely still for the entire setlist apart from HSIN and TIALTNGO but refuse to let you near the barrier. THAT is an annoying "fan" :P
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I love the Smiths as well.

I also like Morrissey and his enigma. I admire his fearlessness in the age of political correctness. He has his views, as extreme as they are, but he's willing to bare the brunt of the storms he brews, and is unapologetic in the face of criticism. Also, I adore his lyrics. Poetry, just pure poetry.

Oh mother, I can feel the soil falling over my head
    See, the sea wants to take me
    The knife wants to slit me
    Do you think you can help me?

Sad veiled bride, please be happy
    Handsome groom, give her room
    Loud, loutish lover, treat her kindly
    Although she needs you more than she loves you
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I feel you are being perhaps a bit melodramatic - he is hardly outspoken or extreme. He just calls it as he sees it.

However, his lyrics are pretty amazing.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh I Really Don't Care)
    I feel you are being perhaps a bit melodramatic - he is hardly outspoken or extreme. He just calls it as he sees it.

However, his lyrics are pretty amazing.
    Eh, I think it's just because he falls under the radar/public eye nowadays. He's still pretty militant when it comes to politics and animal rights. Re-reading my post, I didn't mean to hyperbole and make him out to be some sort of martyr. :P
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tier)
    Eh, I think it's just because he falls under the radar/public eye nowadays. He's still pretty militant when it comes to politics and animal rights. Re-reading my post, I didn't mean to hyperbole and make him out to be some sort of martyr. :P
    Haha, like the Norway comments last year (however the papers might have misconstrued them) were still pretty extreme, as is his hate of the royal family.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glousck)
    I will always hold a very special place in my music heart for The Smiths - my favourite band and I can't see any other artist ever topping them for me personally. Apart from 1 awful song (Golden Lights, which both Marr and Morrissey admit to being their worst song) I absolutely love their entire back catalogue. For me, it's impossible to choose a favourite album let alone song :P I love Morrissey's voice - even without his incredible lyrics, sometimes even his moaning (e.g. consecutively for over 2 minutes on Barbarism Begins at Home) says a thousand words. I love Marr's unique jangly guitar sound that helped to inspire many great guitarists of the 90's and still to this day. The rythm section of Rourke and Joyce was also superb. The fact that they were the first ever band to have an album reach number 1 by promoting it in interviews and live shows alone (no marketing or advertising by the record company) is an incredible achievement. Despite the endless number of bands that have tried to be the new Smiths, there will never be another Smiths, they could only have happened when they did. I think when people first listen to the Smiths they might come to the assumption that they are depressing but for me there is nothing more uplifting than listening to songs where you feel like some-one else feels just as **** as you do in that moment. Also, there are some uplifting, jubilant or just fun songs - Hand In Glove, Handsome Devil, London, What Difference Does It Make, William, Panic, Bigmouth Strikes Again, The Queen Is Dead, Sweet and Tender Hooligan, What She Said, Barbarism Begins at Home, Shakespeare's Sister and This Charming Man are just a bunch off the top of my head.

First of all, can you read my mind?! The Smiths are the most important music in my life also. I could fangirl forever.
    Secondly, Golden Lights wasn't theirs though. It was just a cover (thankfully) because Morrissey particularly admired Twinkle (for some reason that I can't remember). He always had a soft spot for independent female singers.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 24, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.