The Student Room Group

For the love of God - please read.

After months of pondering in indecision, I've come to realise that English is my favourite subject and am considering taking a degree in it for uni. However seeing as the subjectly isn't exactly what one might call 'vocational' it's got me questioning What Will I Do With The Rest Of My Life?

I was wondering what profession English Lit students were consdering after uni.

Ok, so I may have got carried away with the title a tad but I'd really appreciate some answers to give me a wider perspective and answer few of the million questions I have floating in my head.

Thanks in advance. :smile:
I want to go into journalism, which you don't really actually need an English degree for, but it's a good way to start. Plus I just love the subject, so what better way to spend three years?

An English degree shows an employer you know how to articulate yourself, that you can write well, have good analytical skills and a number of others which I'm sure others will point out for me! So yeah, it's a well-respected degree and looks good to any number of employers. If you don't know what you want to do and if you love English then go for it.
Don't worry. I know people with English degrees in completely different jobs. From publishing, consultancy and investment banking to wannabe rockstar...
Reply 3
I personally would like to be a journalist. If thatfails then perhaps a career in publishing, research or teaching. I don't think that jobs necessarily have to be english based, the skills you learn doing an English degree are transferrable and you should be ok to do most things after your degree. xx
Reply 4
Third year undergraduate here. I'm intending to go into teaching afterwards, all being well.
Reply 5
Uhhhh... :redface:

I'm thinking of accountancy at the moment, or maybe publishing.
i want to study english and have NO idea what i want to do (as in a job) afterwards. So far all ive got is that i want to travel for at least a year after uni. Hopefully that will work out.
Teaching/writing/further study. Not in that order and not necessarily all of them.
I'm personally torn between investment banking,law and publishing lol...but they're all quite happy to take english undergrads!as far as i know,there isn't a job in the whole world which specifically asks for people with english degrees...Xx
I want to be an English teacher :smile:
Reply 10
swirl
After months of pondering in indecision, I've come to realise that English is my favourite subject and am considering taking a degree in it for uni. However seeing as the subjectly isn't exactly what one might call 'vocational' it's got me questioning What Will I Do With The Rest Of My Life?

Ok, so I may have got carried away with the title a tad but I'd really appreciate some answers to give me a wider perspective and answer few of the million questions I have floating in my head.

I know what you mean, I've been indecisive for months too between English or Psychology. With a few days left till I send off my application I am still back and forth like a yoyo wondering whether I've made a mistake by applying for English which is silly because I've always intended to do an English degree.
I have thought about the non vocational aspect too but English is still a traditional respected degree and it does lead into good jobs in the journalism field etc so if you really enjoy it, go for it, because you might as well do something you enjoy if you have to do it for 3 years.
I think UCAS is a really confusing time and everyone is going to have doubts since it is such an important decision. Oh well just thought I'd let you know you're not alone! I Hope everything goes well!
Reply 11
I was indecisive for ages as well - so much so that I ended up studying maths at university. Then I was suddenly gripped by the fear that I might end up being an accountant, so I turned to English. (nothing wrong with accountants you understand, I just don't want to be one). I have absolutely no idea what I want to do with it, I know it's very cliched for English undergradutes going on about how they want to be a writer, but I couldn't imagine myself doing anything else with my life.

Do not worry about what it might lead to - the fact that you like and are willing to study it for three years is enough!
swirl

Being non vocational is a good thing IMO
Reply 13
Thanks for the replies, guys. I've still yet to decide what profession to go for, however I certainly feel better about it as I've been told it's a transferrable and respected degree.

For those of you considering journalism, I too was also considering something within the field of Media (currently unsure about it) so it's great to see that my degree will relate to it should I choose to revert back to a Media related job. Actually, come to think of it, I've considered most of the aforementioned professions in the thread at some point. :smile:
Reply 14
i'm a second year and i have absolutely NO idea what i'm going to do afterwards, long term. this summer tho i'm doing a certified tesol course to back up my gap teaching experience and am going to volunteer in sri lanka for two months teaching kiddies. i may well continue to do this for a few years after i graduate, until i can settle on an england based career that would be bearable... swirl, i think the number of arts students who know exactly what they want to do is fairly tiny. just make sure with your degree choice that you want to spend the next three years of your life concentrating on that subject - worry about afterwards afterwards!
Ideally I'd love to go into journalism. I know I could do it, its just my lack of confidence that would pull me down! Don't really know what else I'd like to do...maybe publishing or editing
ive thought about publishing in the past...
i just like the fact that i can study english lit for three (maybe four) years, and then have such a wide range of options. If i did a degree that generally led to direct and specific employment id feel obliged to graduate and settle down.
Im much too indecisive for that :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending