The Student Room Group
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth

Ask a first year anything....

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 26daystoworkwith
Halls use Resnet through the phone line, there is WiFi in some of the teaching buildings and in the library.

Oh, that ain't too bad I guess... Thanks!
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth
Reply 61
even though this thread was made a while ago, and the arguing made quite an interesting read, portsmouth is one of my choices for 2012 entry, and was just wondering how they go about accommodation? like making friends and what if i get put with people who don't want to go out or vice versa, or people that really have completely different interests?
i'm clueless sorry!
Original post by rouseface
even though this thread was made a while ago, and the arguing made quite an interesting read, portsmouth is one of my choices for 2012 entry, and was just wondering how they go about accommodation? like making friends and what if i get put with people who don't want to go out or vice versa, or people that really have completely different interests?
i'm clueless sorry!

You get put with random people, like most universities - it's a game of luck and chance. If you end up not liking your flatmates, there's tons of other people you can meet, be it through your degree course, society or a sport. You'll also meet people when you go out, etc.

If you hate your accomodation majorly, then I'm pretty sure you can apply for hall swaps, but bear in mind, the room you'd be moving into is where another person didn't get along with their flatmates. The same could be said for any university though.

It's incredibly unlikely that you'll be in a flat where you're the only person who likes going out, or vice versa.
Wow this topic has been trolled O_O

I'm not sure if people realise that a degree of any sort is good for demonstrating a commitment to work and self reliance. The skills gained are so desirable that in Denmark students are actually PAID to study a degree.

Anyway which is better to go for campus halls or langstone? I know langstone has a bus service but I've heard the bus just drives straight past sometimes =D doesn't sound too favourable lol
Original post by AkiyamaRuss
Wow this topic has been trolled O_O

I'm not sure if people realise that a degree of any sort is good for demonstrating a commitment to work and self reliance. The skills gained are so desirable that in Denmark students are actually PAID to study a degree.

Anyway which is better to go for campus halls or langstone? I know langstone has a bus service but I've heard the bus just drives straight past sometimes =D doesn't sound too favourable lol

Campus halls tend to be the most desirable, like James Watson and Trafalgar. You're in the centre of everything and as a fresher that is a great thing because for your other years you're most likely to be further down to bus route or elm grove area.

Bus service is no problem from langstone to uni, it's the first stop. The problem is during rush hours other stops are full and bus just drives past. Especially during the first month or so of uni, then people start walking, then it becomes good again. But that's not really an issue for you. Your issue is getting the bus back home from uni to langstone. Make sure you're waiting at The Union bus stop not at Eldon one, as sometimes the bus gets full at first stop so doesn't stop at Eldon sadly. Rush hours in the evening are pretty bad, around 5ish. So many people waiting that sometimes you can't even get on it! Then it's another 20minutes of waiting for the next bus. Walking to Langstone is a trek. I think walking back to Fawcett road (where many students live) is a trek in itself, now imagine going to Langstone...even further down.

My advise is go for Campus halls, but Langstone people have their own little community so in a way being stuck at Langstone during weekends can be a good thing as you can bond with people :smile: there are pros and cons for everything.
Original post by HannahMortlock
Hello all!

I was going through what you are this time last year so if you have any questions, especially related to the university of Portsmouth then please reply to this thread or send me a private message.

Anything on halls, the city, the uni, the transport, the teachers or anything!

Look forward to helping.

I've got a conditional offer (DDM at BTEC which is equivalent to AAC at A-level) to study forensic psychology at portsmouth this september. I went to an open day yesterday and I quite enjoyed it. I thought the halls were a little bit grotty though and there wasn't a common room in any of the buildings. Does that have a negative impact on student life do you think?

Also, how do you find the local men and the shops? lol are there a lot of night clubs and clothes shops within walking distance of the halls?
Reply 66
What is it like to go to the toilet at uni?
Original post by saggy8
What is it like to go to the toilet at uni?

Depends what you ate the night before :P
Are there irons and ironing boards provided at portsmouth or should I bring my own?
Original post by littleone271
Are there irons and ironing boards provided at portsmouth or should I bring my own?

Not in halls (or at least James Watson). We waited till we arrived then all chipped in for one, but we never use it!
Original post by 26daystoworkwith
Not in halls (or at least James Watson). We waited till we arrived then all chipped in for one, but we never use it!

Oh ok, thanks :smile:

I think I'll probably do the same!
Reply 71
Original post by HannahMortlock
Hello all!

I was going through what you are this time last year so if you have any questions, especially related to the university of Portsmouth then please reply to this thread or send me a private message.

Anything on halls, the city, the uni, the transport, the teachers or anything!

Look forward to helping.

HI, i'm really baffled as to where to live for 2012. my options are fratton or southsea. i know most of the student population stay in southsea but fratton is closer to the uni, however i heard its kinda unsafe.

i have also not got anybody to team up with in terms of accomodation yet. should i be worried?

any advice as to which area to live? loll

sorry if this sounds waffly!

PHARMACY 2012 :biggrin::biggrin:
Original post by unique193
HI, i'm really baffled as to where to live for 2012. my options are fratton or southsea. i know most of the student population stay in southsea but fratton is closer to the uni, however i heard its kinda unsafe.

i have also not got anybody to team up with in terms of accomodation yet. should i be worried?

southsea southsea southsea.

do not live in fratton. i live there now. awful place. southsea is way nicer and more student friendly.
Original post by unique193

Hi!

Firstly don't be worried about not having anyone yet, there are many facebook pages/ uni pages you can use to find a housemate.

I live in Southsea and it's a good student area. Fratton is not as nice but it's still not too bad and is usually close to the station.

Roads i'd take a look at:

Orchard, Manners, Telephone, Fawcett, Hudson, Pains, Margate, Playfair.

Good luck!

Quick Reply