The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Scroll to see replies

I didn't bother turning up for the interview because I don't value it as an institution.
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Original post by Infallible
I didn't bother turning up for the interview because I don't value it as an institution.

A tip for life: Don't think that your academic results (assuming they are true) entitle you to behave like a tit. When you leave the bubble of education you will realise that being a pompous tit will result in many doors being slammed in your face.

Also, why did you apply if you didn't value it? That's a F for common sense I'm afraid.
(edited 12 years ago)
As a PhD applicant who visited at an Open Day and has some links to the uni, here are my conclusions so far:

It's good but not absolutely amazing for undergraduate studies. It's got one of the best medical schools in the UK and the best Dentistry department. Materials engineering is also very good there. The rest of the courses are definitely good, but probably not on par with UCL/Imperial.

However...

On the postgraduate and research side of things, it's one of the best universities in the UK (hovering around the 10th place, currently 11th as ranked by the RAE). It prides itself in having put out several Nobel Laureates, while the top 10 uni. I'm currently at can't say the same. It's got the highest research budget of any university not in the Russell Group.

It outranks Durham, St. Andrews, Bath, KCL, Nottingham, RHUL and a lot of others that are otherwise considered top unis.

The only reason why QMUL ranks so low in the rankings is because of its lenient undergrad entry requirements (one of the main league table criteria), something that the University wants, simply because it was founded on the original People's Palace principles of giving people a chance at 'high class' life (the conditions in the East End were a lot worse in the 1800's). Even so, QMUL hovers around the 20-40 mark in overall league tables which is NOT bad by any stretch of the imagination. If you want to do a top class undergrad course, I guess you're better off trying UCL or Imperial (or maybe something like York or Bath), but it's not bad as a second choice.

The campus looks great and very friendly, although I think I will miss my current uni. a lot, and I really hope I can come back one day in some regard. QMUL doesn't have forests and lakes and other stuff like that, it's a lot more urban and modern, but that also means you don't get to live in fetid 50's (or older) buildings for your accomodation.

The only thing that put me off slightly at the Open Day was that pretty much everyone there was (way) older than me, and I couldn't find anyone to socialize with, but then again it was a postgrad day. It's VERY multicultural, which is not a bad thing at all, but I can imagine feeling a bit distant due to culture shock. I'm sure I'll find friends if I end up going there, but I'll probably keep traveling back here once in a while to keep attending society meetings and other things.
(edited 12 years ago)
A great place to be, with an excellent reputation in employers'minds.

It's part of the Uni of London, which must be among ( in anybody's ranking) the top ten unis on planet earth!
If you can ignore the lunatics that run around campus all day screaming about religions and political ideals; accosting you on the way to class to sign some BS petition to help XYZ get out of prison for a great injustice it's not all bad.

Luckily I only have to venture onto Mile End once a week at most and they usually **** off when I tell them to.

Original post by HRH2
Are you joking? Not being biased but KCL is 21 on the world rankings. Queen Mary is not in the top 100. KCL has one of the best Law departments in the country (although yes QM has a good law department), KCL is the best in Europe for War Studies and has the largest medical school in Europe. Not considering the fact that it is called the oxbridge of Dentistry and known as the best dental uni in the world.

Other than that its not full of asians....its a well mix with lots of Europeans. The Strand campus is the most expensive campus in London. All our campuses are in Central and now the Somerset house at the Strand is part of KCL, making it the largest central campus. Our library which was acquired from the governments public record office is the biggest university library in Europe with over 300 rooms.

I know I am being biased but I live in Mile End with lots of friends who go to QM and have been to QM many times as well. I respect QM but you will have to admit on Kings being a better uni. I had an offer for my subject from QM as well.

The largest medical school in Europe? Might want to get your facts correct. It's not even the largest in England, by putting an incorrect statement in your first paragraph for an argument based almost entirely on figures you're not doing very well. Not only that but when did large = good? If anything a large cohort almost entirely holds negative aspects compared to a smaller one.

Jus' saiyan.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by HighestKungFu
A tip for life: Don't think that your academic results (assuming they are true) entitle you to behave like a tit. When you leave the bubble of education you will realise that being a pompous tit will result in many doors being slammed in your face.

Also, why did you apply if you didn't value it? That's a F for common sense I'm afraid.

My signature is for trolling. My actual results were good, but not that good. Anyway, have you heard of a backup? I applied to the universities that I wanted to go to and two backups. By the time Queen Mary responded, I had received several unconditional offers.
My signature is for trolling. My actual results were good, but not that good. Anyway, have you heard of a backup? I applied to the universities that I wanted to go to and two backups. By the time Queen Mary responded, I had received several unconditional offers.

I disagree with most of what you said, however they ARE taking their sweet time with my application.

Yes I've heard of a backup, in fact I had so a long time before you son. But backups are usually still universities that you value enough to say "If I don't get my first choice(s), then I value this institution enough as a solid runner-up".

I wouldn't put a university I didn't 'value' as a backup unless I was putting one down that, in the event I ****ed up my A Levels catastrophically, I would be forced to attend there. But given that QMUL has high entry standards, that point of argument is also mute. Ergo, your argument has no logic.
(edited 12 years ago)
Yes I've heard of a backup, in fact I had so a long time before you son. But backups are usually still universities that you value enough to say "If I don't get my first choice(s), then I value this institution enough as a solid runner-up".

I wouldn't put a university I didn't 'value' as a backup unless I was putting one down that, in the event I ****ed up my A Levels catastrophically, I would be forced to attend there. But given that QMUL has high entry standards, that point of argument is also mute. Ergo, your argument has no logic.

Erm, you're an outsider telling me that my 'argument has no logic', even though I'm the one who has lived it. To say that 'I wouldn't' is irrelevant because it doesn't even concern you.

Now, let's look at the logic behind such a move. I received my A-level results last summer and took a gap year (voluntarily) so that I could have a break from education. I didn't apply in Year 13, so I was always taking a gap year. I sent my form off in late October, fully aware of the grades I had achieved (because I had achieved them). Do you understand now? Because you sure as hell didn't whilst making your comment.

I had QMUL as a backup but, as demonstrated by my actions, I didn't have any intention of attending.
(edited 12 years ago)
Erm, you're an outsider telling me that my 'argument has no logic', even though I'm the one who has lived it. To say that 'I wouldn't' is irrelevant because it doesn't even concern you.

Now, let's look at the logic behind such a move. I received my A-level results last summer and took a gap year (voluntarily) so that I could have a break from education. I didn't apply in Year 13, so I was always taking a gap year. I sent my form off in late October, fully aware of the grades I had achieved (because I had achieved them). Do you understand now? Because you sure as hell didn't whilst making your comment.

I had QMUL as a backup but, as demonstrated by my actions, I didn't have any intention of attending.

Your second paragraph is pretty incoherent, but either way this doesn't prove anything to the contrary. It still makes no sense either way that you had a university you didn't 'value' as a backup.
Your second paragraph is pretty incoherent, but either way this doesn't prove anything to the contrary. It still makes no sense either way that you had a university you didn't 'value' as a backup.

The second paragraph is chronologically written but maybe you're choosing not to read it correctly.

Perhaps to you it doesn't make sense, but I am confident enough in my own ability and it has paid off. I'm good enough to put down institutions that I don't care about. What doesn't make sense there? I don't want to go to a second-rate institution and I won't be.

I'm sorry that you're taking my opinion to heart.

Oh, and in response to your petty other comment: grow up.
The second paragraph is chronologically written but maybe you're choosing not to read it correctly.

Perhaps to you it doesn't make sense, but I am confident enough in my own ability and it has paid off. I'm good enough to put down institutions that I don't care about. What doesn't make sense there? I don't want to go to a second-rate institution and I won't be.

I'm sorry that you're taking my opinion to heart.

Oh, and in response to your petty other comment: grow up.

I'm not taking it to heart I just think your attitude stinks. It reeks of pomposity and arrogance, both of which are dislikeable qualities.

What university do you go to now then? And what are you studying? It must be the dizzying heights of Oxford, Cambridge or frickin' Harvard for you to have this kind of attitude.

Also this regarding line: "I'm good enough to put down institutions that I don't care about".

One word: douche.
Reply 132

Even if you get A*A*A* you are still a wasteman
Can we just ignore this guy, he actually mentioned in a previous post that he's trolling, and even if he's not we don't value him enough to give a damn.

According to his posts, he's going to...wait for it....Royal Holloway in Surrey. I couldn't find a smiley which expressed the right amount of irony. Think he's a QMUL reject. Best left alone!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by CalabiYau
Can we just ignore this guy, he actually mentioned in a previous post that he's trolling, and even if he's not we don't value him enough to give a damn.

did you apply to QM? I couldn't help not to notice that you were from Romania :biggrin:
Original post by Rancorous
According to his posts, he's going to...wait for it....Royal Holloway in Surrey. I couldn't find a smiley which expressed the right amount of irony. Think he's a QMUL reject. Best left alone!

LOL case closed :rolleyes:
LOL case closed :rolleyes:

Not that I'm sticking up for that guy, but what's wrong with royal holloway?
Reply 138
Original post by MsChanandlerBong
Not that I'm sticking up for that guy, but what's wrong with royal holloway?

Well it's about the same level as QMUL, and a fair way behind it in terms of research. So someone saying QMUL is crap and below them and then going to RHUL is pretty funny.
Reply 139
Original post by RollerBall
If you can ignore the lunatics that run around campus all day screaming about religions and political ideals; accosting you on the way to class to sign some BS petition to help XYZ get out of prison for a great injustice it's not all bad.

Luckily I only have to venture onto Mile End once a week at most and they usually **** off when I tell them to.

The largest medical school in Europe? Might want to get your facts correct. It's not even the largest in England, by putting an incorrect statement in your first paragraph for an argument based almost entirely on figures you're not doing very well. Not only that but when did large = big? If anything a large cohort almost entirely holds negative aspects compared to a smaller one.

Jus' saiyan.

You should do some research. I did mine well in advance. And for a little kid you sure talk a lot. Go check on Wikipedia. But here is the link to a more reliable source from a medical consulting website http://www.medical-interviews.co.uk/Kings-College-6year.aspx

Latest

Trending

Trending