The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial Engineering, as 'hard' as IB?

Hey,

Everyone has been saying Imperial is super hard-core in terms of workload and independent study. I am wondering how valid this is, especially in comparison to the IB.

I've gotten an offer to Chemical Engineering, and my friend has gotten one for Civil Engineering. Are these notoriously hard core? All the complaints I've seen are for Chemistry.......

many thanks!
Reply 1
Yeah I was wondering the same thing. I am doing IB as well and its almost impossible to imagine something being harder than it is now. By the way what was your IB offer?
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by dsds1000
Yeah I was wondering the same thing. I am doing IB as well and its almost impossible to imagine something being harder than it is now. By the way what was your IB offer?

39, 7 in maths, 6's in phys and chem

what are you applying for and what is your offer?
Reply 3
i did ib, now i am a thirds year computing student at imperial. i think that chemical engineering is generally regarded as one of the harder courses at imperial.

and yes, i would say that imperial is definitely harder than ib. i dont know whether i did more work during ib or now, but i dont remember ever being frustrated about it while doing ib, while it is easy to see frustrated people at imperial... and also, my standards of what is "hard work" have definitely been raised here.
Reply 4
Original post by adammarek
i did ib, now i am a thirds year computing student at imperial. i think that chemical engineering is generally regarded as one of the harder courses at imperial.

and yes, i would say that imperial is definitely harder than ib. i dont know whether i did more work during ib or now, but i dont remember ever being frustrated about it while doing ib, while it is easy to see frustrated people at imperial... and also, my standards of what is "hard work" have definitely been raised here.

ooo, what about the independent study bit? are you satisfied with the quality of teaching there?

thanks btw :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by do2puff
39, 7 in maths, 6's in phys and chem

what are you applying for and what is your offer?

I applied for Electrical and Electronic Engineering with Management, but I haven't got my offer yet. I am worried because it seems that this year Imperial raised the HL Math score to 7, and I am not sure if I will be able to get it. Are you taking HL Chem and physics as well?
Reply 6
whats ib?
Reply 7
Original post by dsds1000
I applied for Electrical and Electronic Engineering with Management, but I haven't got my offer yet. I am worried because it seems that this year Imperial raised the HL Math score to 7, and I am not sure if I will be able to get it. Are you taking HL Chem and physics as well?

yeap! HL chem, phys, and maths.
i know what you mean.. the HL math score for 7... dunno if i can do it........ :frown: i feel like maths has gotten harder after 2008 as well... sigh.

good luck!
Original post by do2puff
Hey,

Everyone has been saying Imperial is super hard-core in terms of workload and independent study. I am wondering how valid this is, especially in comparison to the IB.

I've gotten an offer to Chemical Engineering, and my friend has gotten one for Civil Engineering. Are these notoriously hard core? All the complaints I've seen are for Chemistry.......

many thanks!

Not everyone thinks that the IB is all that difficult to be honest. If I wasn't such a procrastinator it would be easy peasy (but since I am, it's a struggle sometimes). Either way you should probably expect university to be more difficult that high school, especially a university like Imperial. But remember you're studying something you actually like at uni. :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by do2puff
Hey,

many thanks!

Well, I can vouch for Chemistry being hardcore, but that's because of the bloody labs which take all your time day and night and you'll be spending a lot of time in the library researching. It's quite similar for other courses as well though - if you have lots of experiments/practical to do, then you're in for a rough ride. But so long as you have good time-management, then it should be ok. Work hard, play hard :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by ziigmund
whats ib?

Hahah. Well, IB is the International Baccalaureate. Wikipedia it.
Reply 11
Well Im in my 3rd year of EEE now and it is very tough and very difficult. During my first 2 years (i have given up the thought by now) I frequently looked back at the IB and thought "if only i could do that again for a few years". Imperial is definitely a massive step up. Its different work than IB.

The danger with universities i find is that you can easily overwork yourself. There is no upper limit to what you can do/learn/read. In the IB there is a strict syllabus and usually one book per subject. Deal with those and you are fine. At university you do not have enough time to work your way through everything that you get from lecturers so you have to be careful. When you aim for top grades and try to be in the upper quartile of your class at uni you can very quickly end up in deep trouble and begging for a time machine (yes i have expressed my desire for such a device a few times. Think Harry Potter, Prisoner of Azkaban i think, the thing hermine uses since shes taking too many classes).

The skill to learn how to prioritise things and not lose focus on your non-work life is essential to have sustainable success at university. if you overwork you could be fine for a year or two, but it will catch up with you.
(edited 13 years ago)
Lol. University is hard. Live with it i guess.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending