The Student Room Group

[post exam discussion] AQA GCSE Biology 13th Jan Unit 2

Hi,

How did everyone find this? I thought that it was actually quite a good paper since there weren't any of those graphs. Any questions you were unsure about?
Reply 1
Can someone please post the answers to the exam here.
i thought it was pretty simple apart from the question about why the laundries expect more clothes to be cleaned now that theres that new enzyme.
it was pretty simple, but i couldnt get my head round it :confused:
i just wrote some crap about how they have more activation energy just to fill in the lines, but im sure thats completely wrong lol. oh well, its only two marks :smile:
Reply 3
How much marks for a C? on higher
The first question AQA tried to trick us - Answer was the colour Green!

Also Embryo Screening and there + and - came up :biggrin:

Enzymes was a straight forward question.

Also Increasing temperature was good.
The process was Respiration. Shivering generates energy released from respiration.

What did you guys put for the variables?
I thought it peaked in difficulty in the middle. The last question about body responses seemed relatively simple for a last question.

I'm terrible at the embyro screening pros/cons question, even though I've seen it before.

One of the easiest questions was the one where you had to calculate how many units of insulin the guy needed to take. 2 or 3 easy marks there hopefully.
Reply 6
GIR
OP
Original post by scaryassmonster
i thought it was pretty simple apart from the question about why the laundries expect more clothes to be cleaned now that theres that new enzyme.
it was pretty simple, but i couldnt get my head round it :confused:
i just wrote some crap about how they have more activation energy just to fill in the lines, but im sure thats completely wrong lol. oh well, its only two marks :smile:

I think that it was because the rate of a chemical reaction increase as the temperature increases. So, you can clean more clothes in a shorter amount of time while the enzyme which is being used isn't denatured.

Original post by TheFootyKing19

The process was Respiration. Shivering generates energy released from respiration.

Green because there is less oxygen for the algae to respire, right? Also, I think that they would probably allow movement/rapid contracting and relaxing muscles. Do you think they would?

By the way, was it 3 units for the insulin question?
Reply 7
Original post by TheFootyKing19

Ahh I can't believe that! I put about respiration in the second shivering question :rolleyes: I thought that last question was worded well strange. :s-smilie:
Hey..Guys comment on here: Aqa biology unit 2 gcse official thread
Some questions for you guys :smile:

What system would control shivering? 1 mark

I put the nerve system, would i get the mark (i know its wrong but would they allow it)

Why does shivering cause the body to higher temperature? 2 marks

I put muscles contract

Why does a womens skin go redder after being in sauna? 2 marks

I put the blood vessels go closer to surface of the skin to transfer heat , any marks?
Reply 10
Original post by The Lolly Pop Guy
Some questions for you guys :smile:

What system would control shivering? 1 mark
I put the nerve system, would i get the mark (i know its wrong but would they allow it)

Hmm was that the question? I put rapid muscle contractons

Why does shivering cause the body to higher temperature? 2 marks

I put muscles contract

Well yeah but it was 3 marks, so muscles contract > muscle respires > one of the products of respiration is heat energy

Why does a womens skin go redder after being in sauna? 2 marks

I put the blood vessels go closer to surface of the skin to transfer heat , any marks?

Not quite...blood vessels undergo vasodilation, allowing more blood to flow near the surface of the skin, where it is more likely to be cooler.
Such an easy test except for the leaf in solution thing. Do you reckon Ill get any marks for saying that photosynthesis happened in the one with water, and respiration in the sugar one. Ano its to do with osmosis like but do you think I will get one for saying taht water is produced and so on?
Reply 12
I really didn't like the exam. It was too general I felt like I wasted all that time revising for nothing when I could have revised for physics which I find difficult. Also-what the heck! It had a 8 questions!
Enough with my rant...Hope you guys did well :smile:
i have made an unoffical mark scheme...posted on: Aqa biology unit 2 gcse official thread

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending