The Student Room Group

The Oxford UNIQ Summer Schools Thread

Scroll to see replies

micky022
Same, mine's a bit crap. I hate selling myself...

More than half of mine's about Maths stuff I've done, even though I'm not applying for Maths :facepalm2:
Reply 21
micky022
Lie profusely?

Of course. But for Economics I can say I've read a lot of books and now stuff whereas with something else I can't.

I'm thinking Law, History or Maths. I do Maths and Further Maths so Maths does make sense; I enjoy History and do it at AS; Law I just find interesting but don't know much about it.
Reply 22
micky022
Law is awesome, just go onto The Times Law page and soak it up. Lie and say you sat in on a court case or went to court... Maths... ah, I dropped that after two lessons. Couldn't take the heat :wink:

I REALLY like Maths in the context of A-levels but Uni Maths is quite different and not really something I would like. However, I don't know that unless I do it. :P
Reply 23
micky022
Well here's your free trial :P I really want to do Law, so I can't change- I basically built my subjects around it

Hmm, do you think I could incorporate my like for Economics and say I want to be a commercial solicitor? They need to know quite a bit about economics/finance which should be helpful.
SelfishGiant
I'm not entirely sure if I'll even apply to Oxford, do you have to be 100% sure?

And is it possible to apply if you've applied for Sutton Trust at another uni (and been rejected)?

You don't have to be 100% sure, I think one of the main points of holding the summer schools is so that potential applicants can come and see whether they really would like to apply to Oxford or not. Even if you choose not to go to Oxford, attending one of these summer schools will look great on your UCAS app. :yep:
I was wondering, does anyone have any idea about what's going on for the biochemistry school? I downloaded the UNIQ prospectus, but there was no description about biochemistry although it was listed as one of the options. :confused:

Also, do you think that taking further maths will be a big deciding factor if you apply to do Physics? I don't take further maths, but it said 'Further maths preferred'. If it's 'preferred', do you think they'd choose someone who does take further maths over someone who doesn't?
SaturnineDragonfly
You don't have to be 100% sure, I think one of the main points of holding the summer schools is so that potential applicants can come and see whether they really would like to apply to Oxford or not. Even if you choose not to go to Oxford, attending one of these summer schools will look great on your UCAS app. :yep:

Great, thank you!

I'm applying for English Lit, and if I get in I hope it'll give me ideas to convince my parents not to disown me when I apply for it for real :yep:
Reply 27
Can you apply for both Sutton Trust AND UNIQ? Because Oxford used to be Sutton Trust right but now it isn't so they are different things so surely it's fine?
kai4321
Can you apply for both Sutton Trust AND UNIQ? Because Oxford used to be Sutton Trust right but now it isn't so they are different things so surely it's fine?

You can do both so long as the course dates don't overlap
fretter778
You can do both so long as the course dates don't overlap

Or even if they do, then you could apply to both anyway, and make the decision of which to go to if and when you get places.
Reply 30
Ok well I applied to both. Cambridge one didn't ask for any PS which was good or bad - haven't decided (depends if my PS is better than average or not :P).

Hoping I get into ONE of them but I sort of doubt it. It does say that they take in account WHERE you did your GCSEs which is good because I went to a crappy school and got 9A* but now I'm at one of the best state schools in London and I think they'll probably think I won't need it as I already have enough opportunities here.
kai4321
Ok well I applied to both. Cambridge one didn't ask for any PS which was good or bad - haven't decided (depends if my PS is better than average or not :P).

Hoping I get into ONE of them but I sort of doubt it. It does say that they take in account WHERE you did your GCSEs which is good because I went to a crappy school and got 9A* but now I'm at one of the best state schools in London and I think they'll probably think I won't need it as I already have enough opportunities here.

Same on both counts (except Glasgow, not London).

See when you applied for the Cam one, did they send you a confirmation email or anything?

Because when I tried to submit my form, it didn't realy do anything, so I'm not sure if it sent or not :s-smilie:
Reply 32
SelfishGiant
Same on both counts (except Glasgow, not London).

See when you applied for the Cam one, did they send you a confirmation email or anything?

Because when I tried to submit my form, it didn't realy do anything, so I'm not sure if it sent or not :s-smilie:

Yes, I got a confirmation email.
Reply 33
micky022
I went to a lovely little rundown Catholic state comp. Seems like it pays to be deprived.

Haha - hopefully.

I still doubt that though - if you're really rich it opens up so many opportunities that require you to pay.
kai4321
Yes, I got a confirmation email.

Thanks so much - I wasn't sure if I should try again or not, I'll go and do that now :smile:
Reply 35
micky022
True, but I'm in the middle ground of too well-off to apply for EMA, but too poor to afford private schools. It drives me mad when I see people getting a £100 bonus from EMA and buying f***ing Xbox 360 games with it...

Yes! I don't get EMA either because I'm off by a few hundred pounds which sucks. However, that's just cause my parents work hard and don't want to just stay on benefits. I still live in a council house and everything. =/
Reply 36
does anybody know if it affects your chances to put down a second choice.. does it mean your less likely to get your first preference since you are sort of applying for two subjects? =/
and i would have liked Economics too =[
Reply 37
does anybody know if it affects your chances to put down a second choice.. does it mean your less likely to get your first preference since you are sort of applying for two subjects? =/
and i would have liked Economics too =[
Reply 38
What if you attend a private / independent school?
Are you still allowed to apply?

Thanks
airey_head
What if you attend a private / independent school?
Are you still allowed to apply?

Thanks

UNIQ Website
An exciting new free summer school programme at the University of Oxford open to UK state school students will begin in 2010

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending