The Student Room Group

The Oxford UNIQ Summer Schools Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
dillanp
aww poo. Didn't get in. Oh well, here's hoping things work out for me with the nuffield bursary scheme

Oooh I'm doing a Nuffield Bursary too, have you heard anything from them yet ? :smile:
Reply 161
jungdao
Yea, got a letter a couple of days ago.

Jessicax
Yes:smile: did you get in ?

Yahh I did, I was quite happy about getting in =) But I think it's because my school doesn't have a big history of lots of students going to university.
Anyone else going for medicine out there? :smile:
Reply 162
Gunner9593
Yep :smile: what about you?

Sorryy, didn't see your post, yeahh I got inn =D Quite happy about that and can't wait to go.
Reply 163
Jessicax
Oooh I'm doing a Nuffield Bursary too, have you heard anything from them yet ? :smile:

Nah, not yet. what did you apply for?
Reply 164
dillanp
Nah, not yet. what did you apply for?

I applied for a medicine related one... I got a letter a couple of weeks ago saying I'd got a placement and it was being arranged :biggrin:
ItsRaaaj
Sorryy, didn't see your post, yeahh I got inn =D Quite happy about that and can't wait to go.

Yay me too hopefully see you there then :smile:
my friend applied, and he said you have to put your parents income...he got an angry letter from the admissions tutor saying it's for "deprived" people - brilliant.
toofaforu
my friend applied, and he said you have to put your parents income...he got an angry letter from the admissions tutor saying it's for "deprived" people - brilliant.

Actually, that information was optional, they could have checked I prefer not to Say. I did. And even if they put it in, it wasn't going to have any affect on the application.

Taken from the UNIQ website:

toofaforu

For a start, you don't even have to put it if you don't want to, and secondly they didn't even take it into account. So, to conclude, **** off.
Revolution is my Name
For a start, you don't even have to put it if you don't want to, and secondly they didn't even take it into account. So, to conclude, **** off.

what is with this vitriol that has been aimed at me? i never applied. well maybe they bothered to google earth his house, and realised he's not a pauper, or saw his previous school as being a public one - i don't know. i was merely saying it's brilliant that the admissions tutor emailed him back telling him it's for deprived people and that he should've applied to the cambridge one, instead of just saying you didn't get in.

with an attitude like that yours, you won't get far in life.

SelfishGiant
Actually, that information was optional, they could have checked I prefer not to Say. I did. And even if they put it in, it wasn't going to have any affect on the application.

Taken from the UNIQ website:

i don't know i didn't apply, this is just what he told me.
toofaforu
what is with this vitriol that has been aimed at me? i never applied. well maybe they bothered to google earth his house, and realised he's not a pauper, or saw his previous school as being a public one - i don't know. i was merely saying it's brilliant that the admissions tutor emailed him back telling him it's for deprived people and that he should've applied to the cambridge one, instead of just saying you didn't get in.

Well, you did sort of make a completely unhelpful post that may as well have said "Oi, I know you lot have done well to get onto this thing, but it's not because you're any good or anything, just because you're poor".
Also, I'm fairly certain they weren't emailing people out with reasons for rejection, and that only occurred where people actually why they didn't get in, in which case your criticism is redundant (although, if he did his GCSEs at a private school, then I can't see why you'd be surprised at a rejection, since they actually state they contextualise results in the context of the school and its results).
Revolution is my Name
Well, you did sort of make a completely unhelpful post that may as well have said "Oi, I know you lot have done well to get onto this thing, but it's not because you're any good or anything, just because you're poor".
Also, I'm fairly certain they weren't emailing people out with reasons for rejection, and that only occurred where people actually why they didn't get in, in which case your criticism is redundant (although, if he did his GCSEs at a private school, then I can't see why you'd be surprised at a rejection, since they actually state they contextualise results in the context of the school and its results).

you've missed my point, i'm not criticising anyone. he did his GCSEs at one of the best private schools in the UK, so he wasn't particularly surprised at all when he was rejected (he only applied because he thought why not), it's just funny that they actually sent him an email saying what it did - i'm not criticising it at all.
toofaforu

i don't know i didn't apply, this is just what he told me.

And I was just pointing out that your friends must be mistaken.

And I'm not a pauper (or deprived) and I got in.
toofaforu
you've missed my point, i'm not criticising anyone. he did his GCSEs at one of the best private schools in the UK, so he wasn't particularly surprised at all when he was rejected (he only applied because he thought why not), it's just funny that they actually sent him an email saying what it did - i'm not criticising it at all.

Although I would like to add that it would have meant (relatively) deprived in the educational opportunities sense rather than with respect to income, to echo what Selfish Giant said.
Revolution is my Name
Did you get in in the end?
I've been desperately seeking some fellow Chemists :teeth:

No... :bawling:. My PS must have been bad, as i got 7A*s, the best in my school... Sucks really, as I had kinda built it up in my head like i was just going to get in. I wasn't expecting so many to apply. Damn you all! :P. Congrats on getting in yourself, though. :smile:. Actually, just thought, I know they don't take into account your parental income, but do they account for parental education history? Because 2 GPs as parents probably wouldn't help matters...

Oh, and sorry for the late reply. I'm a bit naff at this whole forum malarkey.
NaughtyParsley
No... :bawling:. My PS must have been bad, as i got 7A*s, the best in my school... Sucks really, as I had kinda built it up in my head like i was just going to get in. I wasn't expecting so many to apply. Damn you all! :P. Congrats on getting in yourself, though. :smile:. Actually, just thought, I know they don't take into account your parental income, but do they account for parental education history? Because 2 GPs as parents probably wouldn't help matters...

Oh, and sorry for the late reply. I'm a bit naff at this whole forum malarkey.

I've not said this often, but thank goodness my dad's a welder :p:
Hey,

I recently found out about the UNIQ Summer School at Oxford University, which runs in August ever year. As a student keen to study Medicine, I thought it'd be great if I was able to take part in this summer programme in August 2011. However, part of the application process requires the candidate to write a 2000 character personal statement. And they tell you to prepare this before the applications actually open. So, calling to those who have attended the UNIQSS in the past, or to students who are also looking to apply for it; what tips can you give for writing the personal statement?

Thank you for your time guys?
Any help would be appreciated! :biggrin:
Hello,

I hoped I'd find someone on here somewhere in the same situation as me :biggrin:

I'm hoping to apply to the Oxford summer school this year too, probably for Biology though :smile: by chance I just typed it into the searchbar!

2000 characters? I wonder roughly how many words that is...oh well, here's what I would include;

* Why do you want to study medicine?
* Hobbies/ interests, (especially if they relate to medicine, such as helping people, first aid etc.)
* Possible work experience, if you've had any
* Why do you want to go to Oxford? Reputation, meet like-minded people, historic, etc.
* What you're doing/ have done to show your commitment - volunteer work? Extra classes?
* Good results? (they will probably ask for GCSE results anyway)

And maybe I'll mention a book I've read, something that's inspired me and something to bascially make my personal statement personal!

P.S, I went to Reading uni science summer school last year, that was great - and my friend went to Southampton, I hope we both eventually go on this as it sounds really fun! (I mean, er... educational :colondollar:)
Thank you so much for those ideas! I shall take them into account when I do get around to writing it! :biggrin: Medicine is such a competitive course at University, and last year 700+ people applied to do Medicine at the UNIQ Summer school. Only 45 got in.

I just don't want one to sound boring and the same as everyone elses' :smile: I do not what I'm getting myself into!

Good luck for the Biology though!
Hey,

I'm in the same situation! I'm hoping to apply to UNIQ for English (10% success rate, worse than the actual university English undergraduate success rate)! :O I ought to get started on my personal statement. I think I'm going to mainly talk about the subject I'm interested in, and keep hobbies, why I want to go to Oxford etc at a minimum. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending