1. I'm going there ;-)
2. Founders, baby! :biggrin: lol - who can resist the palace?! :biggrin:
3. it's a 'uni of london' so u get the rate of london loan
4. it's close to the city
5. yet u get the feel of being away from london
6. it's number 15 in the league tables
7. it has excellent research ratings
8. it's campus based so everything's close to hand
9. as it's a uni of london u can do modules from other unis of london if u see something u like at another uni that rhul doesnt do
10. u can use the well stocked senate house library
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Reply 2
fairygirl21
:smile: Haven't even visited it yet but it may possibly be somewhere I accept. 5 good reasons please, people. :p:

i went to an open day at royal holloway after really liking the look of it from the prospectus, but i have to say i was really dissapointed. i mean the course sounded great in the subject lecture (psychology) so that was fine, but the uni is in Egham so if you're travelling from quite far off (i was travelling from hinckley, leicestershire) then you have to get loads of trains and then a taxi ( we had to share ours with a current student who seemed less than enthusiastic about the place) from egham train station to the uni (unless ur driving of course..). Also the university is like a boarding school really, i got lost looking round the founders building and ended up wandering down corridors with bedrooms coming off it, and when we found the caffeteria it was basically a big dining room. the place seemed really isolated to me, and after seeing it i decided i wanted a city campus. but then again that is totaly my oppinion and you might totaly love it, i just thought id tell you this because you might be like me and have your heart set on a place and then realise you hate it when you get there. but there were some good points, the lecture for the couse sounded great and the founders building and the surrounding area is really pretty.
Reply 3
Zombiedolly
i went to an open day at royal holloway after really liking the look of it from the prospectus, but i have to say i was really dissapointed. i mean the course sounded great in the subject lecture (psychology) so that was fine, but the uni is in Egham so if you're travelling from quite far off (i was travelling from hinckley, leicestershire) then you have to get loads of trains and then a taxi ( we had to share ours with a current student who seemed less than enthusiastic about the place) from egham train station to the uni (unless ur driving of course..). Also the university is like a boarding school really, i got lost looking round the founders building and ended up wandering down corridors with bedrooms coming off it, and when we found the caffeteria it was basically a big dining room. the place seemed really isolated to me, and after seeing it i decided i wanted a city campus. but then again that is totaly my oppinion and you might totaly love it, i just thought id tell you this because you might be like me and have your heart set on a place and then realise you hate it when you get there. but there were some good points, the lecture for the couse sounded great and the founders building and the surrounding area is really pretty.

um from the station to the uni is a 20 min walk up the hill..it's not bad! plus there's a bus service for students. taxis from the staion to the uni costs £5.
and what did u expect from the cafeteria?! of course it looks like a dining room...it is a dining room :s-smilie:
in reference to gettin lost in founders, any uni u go will take a bit of getting used to at first..founders is just a really big place, that's all
Reply 4
Hralipour
um from the station to the uni is a 20 min walk up the hill..it's not bad! plus there's a bus service for students. taxis from the staion to the uni costs £5.
and what did u expect from the cafeteria?! of course it looks like a dining room...it is a dining room :s-smilie:
in reference to gettin lost in founders, any uni u go will take a bit of getting used to at first..founders is just a really big place, that's all

lol i wasnt critising the getting lost, i could get lost anywhere :rolleyes:. what i meant by saying the cafeteria was like a dining room (which, yeah it is a dining room :redface: ) is that the whole place is pretty boarding schooly and the fact that its all catered if u live in the founders building kinda adds to that. im not saying there is anything wrong with that if thats what you like (please dont take offence if royal holloway is where ur applying to) its just not my thing, i kinda wanted a bit more independance and relaxed atmosphere in a uni. Also i was saying that because if i hadnt gone to an open day myself and no one had said anything anything against the place (and every uni has a down side) i would have applied and hated the place if id got in.
Reply 5
yeh it's true..it is best u visit the institution before deciding cos that's the place where ure gonna spend 3/4 years so u have to make u've made the right decision.
so where u applying zombiedolly?
Reply 6
Hralipour
yeh it's true..it is best u visit the institution before deciding cos that's the place where ure gonna spend 3/4 years so u have to make u've made the right decision.
so where u applying zombiedolly?

im applyin to Manchester, Manchester Met, Leeds, Leicester, Surrey and UCL so kinda a mixed bunch really. im quite worried though because everyone seems to have applied already :s-smilie: im still waiting for my reference. i havn't visited any of the unis im appying to tho :s-smilie: where are you applying to? lis x
Reply 7
im unconditional deferred for RHUL :wink: as u can tell im passionate about it! the uni should pay me seeing as i appear to be doing free advertising :|

for some reason when you said "city campus" i thought u meant somewhere like kings, ucl, SOAS etc. lol

erm, i think u should visit them now :s-smilie:..i dont get why unis have open days quite late in the game tho. i think they should have them in the summer cos people apply in sept.
Reply 8
um, there are modules for classics in ucl n kings n i know ppl go to those tho..im gonna be travellin to uni in the 2nd n 3rd yrs from home n that's gonna take 1hr30mins minimum so an hr to senate house is nothing! altho the libraries at rhul have more or less everything so there's no need to go senate house
--------------
the uni is close to central london,but the bad thing is getting back at night i expect..
Reply 9
mrsjacksparrow
I'm a first year here at the moment and i'm in agreement with zombiedolly about it being isolated.
I don't really know what benefits you get from it being a Uni of London - how many people actually do use the Senate House library for example? Or travel for an hour to do courses at UCL or King's? I shouldn't think it's that many.

There are good things about it of course, but I think personally that I should've gone for a city university.

Many people use Senate House in the third year, when they're doing their dissertation(s). I use it occasionally and so do people I know. Whether or not you can do an intercollegiate course in your third year depends on which subject you're doing. The History Department definitely does, I know for a fact - one of my best friends there is doing one at UCL.
Reply 10
oh..
i feel more unsure now. :frown:
Reply 11
maybe go to the open day- I wasn't going to go, but now I think after what zombiedolly said, I'll go to make up my mind- it obviously helped her decide. Thanks for both the opinions! I'm doing psychology as well, and I have to say I don't really like the sound of the course.
I don't think you should ask for people to give you reasons to study here - it's a massively important and personal decision you're making, and you really need to come visit to see what you really think of the place. :smile:
Reply 13
i personally really liked royal holloway when i visitied it. i have heard stories about it being quiet and dead at weekendz, and some people have found it boring and isolated, but it depends what u want from your uni experience. like if you want to party all night every night of the week then i get the feeling royal holloway might not be for you. for example... my brothers at nottingham and thats what its like in nottingham. iv been to visit and its a kool and amazingly fun place, and his having the time of his life. im personally up for having fun n i know how to party, but im not a wild child and the thought of being up all night everynight getting drunk the whole 3yrs dusnt really appeal to me (the first few weeks r a different story tho!). im going to uni to have an amazin experience and meet new people and enjoy being young, but im also going to uni to get a degree.

i think thats one of the reasons i liked royal holloway, cos it seemed a bit lower key if that makes sense?! like if you rate unis on their social life and partying atmosphere id rate royal holloway in the middle, with somewhere like nottingham at the top. i also liked it cos its close to home (london) so i can go home and see my family and friends whenever i want.

thats just my opinion anyway.. i could be talking utter crap! ive only visited it once lol

Em xxxx
Yeah, I agree, it's a personal choice regarding universities. However, I feel that I should defend the accomodation here, cos it does vary, and Gower and Wedderburn seem nothing like boarding school, and neither does Reid.

I chose RHUL 'cos:
1. The History Department is very good (and I got a 2 E offer!)
2. It's a nice distance from home
3. Founder's is gorgeous
4. It's uni. of London, a well respected institution
5. It's a campus, not a city uni like KCL, which isn't for me at all.

And now I'm here, I'm absolutley loving it, it was one of the best decisions I ever made to go here!
wow...has anyone thats calling Founders 'like Boarding school' actually been to a boarding school????? because its nothing like my boarding school was thats for sure!!!!

AND a lot of unis have catered accomodation but as per any uni theres a mix so if you want to be self-catered you can be...just apply for Reid/Runnymeade/G&W! If you cant be arsed to cook then apply Founders!

I personally love founders and you definalty need to visit to see if it suits you!!!

Loads of reasons given below but only you can work out whether its going to suit you!!!
One thing that scares me is that most people I've met that go to RHUL are not particularly bright. I mean, they're okay and have good A-level grades, but not exactly the most intellectually curious bunch.
If I get in there and don't get in anywhere else, I'd have a bit of hard time accepting the fact that I'd have to go.
fonzievision
One thing that scares me is that most people I've met that go to RHUL are not particularly bright. I mean, they're okay and have good A-level grades, but not exactly the most intellectually curious bunch.
If I get in there and don't get in anywhere else, I'd have a bit of hard time accepting the fact that I'd have to go.

Well if only mega intelligent people are your thing, maybe you should start an "Intellectually Superior Society" so you won't have to deal with the dregs of the university. :rolleyes:

P.S A sign of true intelligence is being able to enjoy the company of people from all walks of life.
Reply 18
A guy doing Music in my year got into Cambridge, but then transferred here because he thought it's so great at RHUL...
Sarah Sheep
Well if only mega intelligent people are your thing, maybe you should start an "Intellectually Superior Society" so you won't have to deal with the dregs of the university. :rolleyes:

P.S A sign of true intelligence is being able to enjoy the company of people from all walks of life.

I'm only talking about the people I have met. I am absolutely sure there are tons of great people at RHUL. There seem to be quite a few on this board... I just really don't feel like meeting the boring people I have met, yet again.

Latest

Trending

Trending