The Student Room Group
Main Concourse, Brunel University
Brunel University London
Uxbridge
Visit website

Driving at Brunel

Hey, can you drive? Does it depend on whether you live at halls or away from home or whatever? I'm basically asking if you can keep a car there.

Cheers.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't go to Brunel but I live really close & I'm pretty sure there's tonnes of parking space at halls & lots of students drive :smile:
Main Concourse, Brunel University
Brunel University London
Uxbridge
Visit website
Reply 2
yup you can keep a car there but you have to pay obviously
If you have a place in halls, ie. you live on-campus, then NO, you can't bring you car with you.

If you live off-campus, in a student house, or your own home and you travel into university, then YES, you can bring your car with you. Costs £90 a year for a permit or so.

:smile:
Reply 4
Original post by iced_dragon_agility
If you have a place in halls, ie. you live on-campus, then NO, you can't bring you car with you.

OHH! Really? I totally didn't know that! I see tonnes of students with cars & assumed you were allowed to bring cars & park them on campus.. That's probably why there's tonnes of students who park their cars on my street >.<
Original post by Midnight12
Hey, can you drive? Does it depend on whether you live at halls or away from home or whatever? I'm basically asking if you can keep a car there.

Cheers.

Hi there
If you live on campus or within 3 miles of campus, you aren't allowed to obtain a parking permit and drive to Brunel. This is however, unless you have a valid disability reference.
Permits cost £95 for a year if you have a disability or live more than 3 miles from campus.
Hope this helps :smile:
so if you cant get a permit and you want to live in halls, where can you park?
Original post by bexta_banana
so if you cant get a permit and you want to live in halls, where can you park?

If you're living in halls and you want to keep a car, you have to keep it off campus.
You can't live in Halls AND keep your car on campus unless you are Disabled or sometimes they let Sports Scholars keep their cars.
Don't see why you'd need a car at uni anyway unless you go home a lot.
yes which is why I'm asking where off campus can you park? And I'd want my car because I have become accustomed to driving, personal preferance isn't it.
Just find a random side road I guess, but a lot of them have local parking permits
yes which is why I'm asking where off campus can you park? And I'd want my car because I have become accustomed to driving, personal preferance isn't it.

Most side roads are permit only 9am-5pm. You'd really struggle to find somewhere to park your car, I ended up leaving mine at a friend's house off campus.
Reply 11

Unless you are a particularly rich student you might want to become unaccustomed to driving at least for the first year, especially if you want to stay accustomed to eating as well. I found in my first year that those people who had cars were the ones giving everyone else lifts to go shopping and not getting any money for petrol.

You will probably be able to find a side road somewhere but be warned it will be at least 10 - 15 mins walk from campus. Looking for somewhere to the south or west of campus is probably the best bet.

If you are rich i think there is some long term car storage thing nearby, or you might be able to pay a local to park outside their house.
Lol no not rich but my car is very fuel efficient im lucky, yeah i suppose I'll have to abandon the car its just upsetting :frown:
Reply 13
Lol no not rich but my car is very fuel efficient im lucky, yeah i suppose I'll have to abandon the car its just upsetting :frown:

I'm a first year student at Brunel and im living in halls. I had the same dilemma as you but i still took my car to uni lol. There are a few side roads where you can park your car. My car is parked on a road which is about a 10min walk away which is not too bad.

Another idea would be to make a friend with somebody who commutes or lives 2miles off campus as they would be eligible for a parking permit. Just get them to apply for the permit and you pay for it.

You won't need your car at all when your at uni as everything is on campus and if you want to get get to town you can catch the bus or even walk it. The main reason i decided to take my car is the convenience of going back home and i can carry more luggage back and forth.
Reply 14
Original post by homebythefence
Hi there
If you live on campus or within 3 miles of campus, you aren't allowed to obtain a parking permit and drive to Brunel. This is however, unless you have a valid disability reference.
Permits cost £95 for a year if you have a disability or live more than 3 miles from campus.
Hope this helps :smile:

Sorry to be picky but it's £93 for an annual permit, it's a 2 mile radius of the campus and if you have a blue badge then the parking is free.
PS The Pay and Display is 50p per hour.
Original post by glf2110
Sorry to be picky but it's £93 for an annual permit, it's a 2 mile radius of the campus and if you have a blue badge then the parking is free.
PS The Pay and Display is 50p per hour.

Probably right about the price of the permit but I'm sure it's three miles minimum. :smile:
Reply 16
Probably right about the price of the permit but I'm sure it's three miles minimum. :smile:

http://www.brunel.ac.uk/about/campus/?a=9641

They're not that harsh yet. lol
Original post by glf2110
http://www.brunel.ac.uk/about/campus/?a=9641

They're not that harsh yet. lol

Oh my, it would appear you are correct. Hmm :s-smilie: My apologies!!
Reply 18
Oh my, it would appear you are correct. Hmm :s-smilie: My apologies!!

Lol! :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by kino92
Another idea would be to make a friend with somebody who commutes or lives 2miles off campus as they would be eligible for a parking permit. Just get them to apply for the permit and you pay for it.

You won't need your car at all when your at uni as everything is on campus and if you want to get get to town you can catch the bus or even walk it. The main reason i decided to take my car is the convenience of going back home and i can carry more luggage back and forth.

But, dont you need to use their ID for the barriers?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending