The Student Room Group

Do Private Tutors Work?

I’ve just got my 1a science results and my mum thinks I need a tutor for science and maths. Does anyone have a tutor and is it helping? I got 2 A’s and a B in my 1a exams and want to do pharmacy at uni. I’m worried a tutor will just be a crap teacher who’s a pedo, got sacked or has a beard or a moustache like Miss %^$&***

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by CODKING

Original post by CODKING
I’ve just got my 1a science results and my mum thinks I need a tutor for science and maths. Does anyone have a tutor and is it helping? I got 2 A’s and a B in my 1a exams and want to do pharmacy at uni. I’m worried a tutor will just be a crap teacher who’s a pedo, got sacked or has a beard or a moustache like Miss %^$&***

I had a private tutor after my a/s year brought up my science grades from C's to A's :x, depends on tutors in your area find one that you feel comfortable with and that you feel is helping you achieve your potential
They work about as good as you'd work on your own... it isn't really the tutors that get you places, it's you. :yep:
Yeah tutors do work, just make sure you get your money's worth. I get it in Econ, Maths and Biology.
The teachers aren't sacked, if their good teachers, they'd have lots of studants, so go to one recommended by ur friends.
Reply 4
Thanks for replies. Can anyone else add anything? Has anyone had a tutor for a whole term or year and seen things get deffo better? Price, how often, my house or their's?
My friend got a tutor for maths and it really helped her and bumped her grade up. Atm, I'm tutoring year 11s (in Lower 6th). Why don't you ask your teacher whether any 6th formers can help? Or ask for recommendations from the teachers for tutors. My friend has just done this for maths and our teacher gave her the number to a retired teacher who is really good apparently. :smile: Also, have you got the CGP revision books?
Reply 6
Thanks Infinity, I will ask around in school. Not sure if I can ask my science teachers about private tutors coz it's rather like saying they're a bit w*nk themselves! Having a fit 6th form girl tutor me would be ace, but I'd have to start washing and stop drooling.
Reply 7
If you take tutoring seriously what percentage chance is there of you getting an A
Reply 8
My tutor is coming tomoz. Crap.
Reply 9
Original post by CODKING
My tutor is coming tomoz. Crap.

how much you paying a hour if i can ask?
Reply 10
£27
I've got nothing to wear either
Reply 11
My tutor has just gone. OMFG she's sick! I'm already working on the problems she left me. I can smell her perfume on them!
Reply 12
Alkenes, saturated, unsaturated, cracking, I'm lovin it.
If you supplement tutoring with a consistent work level then yes, I believe it definitely helps. Tutoring allows you to work on a specific topic area or problem that a teacher would not necessarily fully explain, time can be spent on weaknesses allowing the content to be fully understood.

I receive tutoring for Maths and I find that a second explanation on a certain topic can completely alter/enhance your understanding, they also provide some invaluable exam tips.
Reply 14
Original post by semolina pilchard

I receive tutoring for Maths and I find that a second explanation on a certain topic can completely alter/enhance your understanding, they also provide some invaluable exam tips.

Thanks

Everyone says an hour a week. Why?
Original post by CODKING
Thanks

Everyone says an hour a week. Why?

I actually have two hours a week, I guess it depends upon how much help is required relative to the amount of content you are covering.

I am self teaching Further Maths in one year so having two hours keeps me focused as there is a lot of content to cover. As I am covering the content at my own pace I can really focus on what I find difficult.
Reply 16
Original post by semolina pilchard

I am self teaching Further Maths in one year so having two hours keeps me focused as there is a lot of content to cover. As I am covering the content at my own pace I can really focus on what I find difficult.

FMS that's a lot of studying in one year! The work I've been left looks harder than the exam questions I've downloaded. I hope I'm not covering things I don't need to, as this is taking hours.
:unimpressed:
Reply 17
Original post by CODKING
My tutor has just gone. OMFG she's sick! I'm already working on the problems she left me. I can smell her perfume on them!

You are a legend!
Original post by CODKING
FMS that's a lot of studying in one year! The work I've been left looks harder than the exam questions I've downloaded. I hope I'm not covering things I don't need to, as this is taking hours.
:unimpressed:

What is the work for Maths? If so what are you covering, perhaps she is giving you harder questions to test your ability?
Reply 19
Original post by Femto
You are a legend!

If I am a legend, it's for being stupid I'm afraid. I'm completely blown away by this woman. We're talking blizzard conditions here; total whiteout!!

Quick Reply

Latest