The Student Room Group

Do Private Tutors Work?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CODKING
I’ve just got my 1a science results and my mum thinks I need a tutor for science and maths. Does anyone have a tutor and is it helping? I got 2 A’s and a B in my 1a exams and want to do pharmacy at uni. I’m worried a tutor will just be a crap teacher who’s a pedo, got sacked or has a beard or a moustache like Miss %^$&***

Yes, they definitely work. Just make sure you get one with a good set of qualifications, and a CRB check. :biggrin:
Reply 21
Original post by semolina pilchard
What is the work for Maths? If so what are you covering, perhaps she is giving you harder questions to test your ability?

Nah it's not the maths, it's the science. P1b has em spectrum but she's got me looking up detailed medical applications for radiation. Still, if she told me to sacrifice my rabbit in some naked druid ritual, I'd do it.

She could be a sucubus I suppose
Reply 22
Original post by Mr Inquisitive
Yes, they definitely work. Just make sure you get one with a good set of qualifications, and a CRB check. :biggrin:

Thanks

I'm hoping she failed the CRB check!!
Reply 23
Original post by Skaterkid
how much you paying a hour if i can ask?

According to my mum I am paying £10 of the £27 and this will be returned if I get A's. Hard bargain
Original post by CODKING
Nah it's not the maths, it's the science. P1b has em spectrum but she's got me looking up detailed medical applications for radiation. Still, if she told me to sacrifice my rabbit in some naked druid ritual, I'd do it.

Medical uses for radiation are part of P1b

"Different wavelengths of electromagnetic radiation have different
effects on living cells. Some radiations mostly pass through soft
tissue without being absorbed, some produce heat, some may
cause cancerous changes and some may kill cells. These effects
depend on the type of radiation and the size of the dose."

"The uses and the hazards associated with the use of each type of
radiation in the electromagnetic spectrum."

"to evaluate the appropriateness of radioactive sources for
particular uses, including as tracers, in terms of the type(s) of
radiation emitted and their half-lives."

"The uses of and the dangers associated with each type of nuclear
radiation."

All of these are specification points.

Sounds like she is trying to get you to remember it by making you find some specific examples.
Reply 25
Original post by gingerbreadman85
Medical uses for radiation are part of P1b

Sounds like she is trying to get you to remember it by making you find some specific examples.

Thanks G, that makes perfect sense. For a while there it felt like I was writing “Medical Imaging and Radiotherapy for Dummies”. I’ve finished all the homework and stuff we are covering in class I now feel I know inside out. I’ve even started listening to the teachers rather than just scribble.
Original post by CODKING
I’ve even started listening to the teachers rather than just scribble.

I think you'll find that'll help probably as much, if not more than an hour a week worth of tuition.

Sounds like you are getting your money worth.
Reply 27
Just had another tutorial. There is no let up in the hour and no hiding any weak areas. She's asking me questions before we've even sat down and if I want 30 seconds to fetch a ruler or calculator, she gives me hers! Time goes quickly but it leaves me feeling like roadkill. I'm not big on eye contact, so having Lazer Woman with permanent missile lock on me is murder.
Reply 28
I know no one is reading this but what the hell! I'm working harder for my tutor than I do for school but I wouldn't say I was lazy in school. My teachers are all great but they have a lot of neg things to deal with. Just a couple of lessons have see a mist clear in some areas, like balancing equations. Instead of not doing something, I'm seeing how fast I can do many examples of it. I've gone right past Go and become a cube.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending