The Student Room Group

Greggs the bakers are idiots.

Scroll to see replies

super.teve

They queue is always massive in Selfridges though, takes like half an hour for a doughnut

Tesco's sell them, and I don't know if many places have them but here in MK, Krispy Kreme have a shop of their own :smile:

In fact, I'd never heard of them being sold in Selfridges until now :eek: I would never have guessed either!
Reply 61
pinknipper, I LIVE on Westgate Road!! That Greggs, for some reason, always seems to be occupied by the same two chavs with pastry-craving buggy-bound toddler in tow. I mean, they seem to LIVE there.
Reply 62
I know other bakeries do doughnuts but your right that they are not the same as the ones from Gregg's the bakers
Reply 63
Original post by DH-Biker
The Greggs "HQ" is in the town (Penrith) that our School's in.
If you want, I could point some fingers. :cool:
Or single-man riot?

Otherwise, by the chocolate ones with orange-coloured sprinkles. They're good.

Except the "HQ" isn't in Penrith. That's the office only for Cumbria.
What's with all the sausage roll haters on here? They do a damm fine Sausage Roll at my local one (though it's Bakers Oven, which is owned by Greggs.)
Their Iced buns and Doughnuts are great too.
Also, Bacon Roll and Coffee deal, friend drove there once after a party, perfect hangover cure.

I must sound so fat right now
Reply 65
They downsized the pizza and increased the price :mad:
Reply 66
I quite love Greggs. Their sugar doughnuts... :sogood:
Though for such a busy shop, their restocking abilities aren't great?
Original post by grth
I was under the impression that Greggs was just a Northern institution, then I went to Birmingham....they're spreading everywhere!

There are also some in Holland too! :awesome:

I thought Birmingham counts as being up north? Ha
Meh. There was a bakery near where I went to school (not a greggs, just a local one) and I loved the chocolate cake slices they did. Was gutted when they stopped making them.
Anyways, greggs is awesome (especially the corned beef pasty).
Greggs drove my favourite York bakery out of business, i hate their crap overpriced food
Reply 70
Original post by calleenal

Your sig made me chuckle. :smile:

:biggrin: good stuff
Reply 71
Original post by PJ991
Except the "HQ" isn't in Penrith. That's the office only for Cumbria.

It is? Oh. I was always told it was the Head-Office. My bad.
Either way, no need to be so nit-picky about it. :p:
The prerequisite of former actions will be as pitiful as if it were.
as long as they continue to make those halloween themed cupcakes with the rings on them every year i will remain content! even though i've out grown them and the rings no longer fit my fingers :frown:
it's became tradition since I was but a young lass
Reply 73
Original post by r_u_t_h
WHAT... There's no MACARONI PIES in England?! I really LOVE them! And next year I'll probs be down in England at uni... What will I do...!

And I agree, quiche can't possibly compare to a Macaroni Pie.

What's a macaroni pie...?
Reply 74
I like a good sausage roll, but never again from Greggs (like I mentioned in a previous post, ever since I got a HUGE pocket of pure fat/grease in one that literally "popped" out over me. Utterly foul, I'll only buy from a local now instead of the no-quality-control food-for-the-masses).

But meatless? Harder to get totally wrong, which is why I'll still step through their doors now and again for the Macaroni Pie, which is a pie shell (think, a traditional Scotch Pie - a circular, hard-crusted pie shell which is crunchy and crumbly) with macaroni cheese filling instead of meat.

Like here:

But in England, apparently you don't even get them, instead Greggs stocks the English alternative... quiche. Absurd.
Original post by najinaji

Though for such a busy shop, their restocking abilities aren't great?

Ha, I wouldn't have been happy if you'd said that about the shop I was assistant manager at, considering the sheer effort I put in to prevent stuff from running out. Whenever it was busy it was mental - I'd be constantly rushing around from pillar to post, either getting someone to refill the cake trays and sandwich shelves/ make new sandwiches or baguettes if the ones round the back were nearly run out/ restock the drinks/ put more trays of savouries in the ovens, or doing it all myself whilst everyone else served customers. Basically being the 'glue' that made sure that the customers all got served as quickly as possible, and that as much stock as possible was out for them to buy (as well as making sure all the management stuff got done properly.) Sometimes though, if there was a massive queue, everyone including me would have to concentrate on serving above anything else, and so stuff would run out temporarily; that may be what's happening at your shop.

Saying that, if the shop has management that aren't that bothered about making sure everything's kept available, even during busy times, and don't help the normal staff out on the shop floor whenever it gets busy, then I imagine it would run out of stuff all the time.

You have to realise though that most of the cakes (apart from the croissants, pain au chocolat and cookies, which are baked on site) are not made or cooked on site, that's all done at the factories and sent in every day. So if say the jam doughnuts run out and there's no more on the delivery trays, that's it. The shop staff can't make more. Yes, management order in however much they think the shop'll need that day, but sometimes it's much busier than expected so they run out.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by TotoMimo
But in England, apparently you don't even get them, instead Greggs stocks the English alternative... quiche. Absurd.

I want to know what went through their heads when they decided on that - "So, give Scotland their traditional macaroni pie. Now, what's a good traditional English food? I KNOW, QUICHE!" :rolleyes:
Reply 77
Exactly, Contrad!ction - that's why I noted "Absurd".

I mean fair enough, most Scottish 'delicacies' are crazy mish-mashes of other food cultures or random food bits... and then deep-fried, and macaroni cheese (*cough*traditionalScottishfood*cough*) in a Scotch pie case is a bit mental, but at least it's synonymous with Scotland.
Reply 78
Original post by najinaji
What's a macaroni pie...?

:O oh you're missing out! the post below the one i've quoted of yours has a picture of one, they're amazing! Macaoni cheese in pastry... yum.
Reply 79
Original post by FormerlyHistoryStudent
Ha, I wouldn't have been happy if you'd said that about the shop I was assistant manager at, considering the sheer effort I put in to prevent stuff from running out. Whenever it was busy it was mental - I'd be constantly rushing around from pillar to post, either getting someone to refill the cake trays and sandwich shelves/ make new sandwiches or baguettes if the ones round the back were nearly run out/ restock the drinks/ put more trays of savouries in the ovens, or doing it all myself whilst everyone else served customers. Basically being the 'glue' that made sure that the customers all got served as quickly as possible, and that as much stock as possible was out for them to buy (as well as making sure all the management stuff got done properly.) Sometimes though, if there was a massive queue, everyone including me would have to concentrate on serving above anything else, and so stuff would run out temporarily; that may be what's happening at your shop.

Saying that, if the shop has management that aren't that bothered about making sure everything's kept available, even during busy times, and don't help the normal staff out on the shop floor whenever it gets busy, then I imagine it would run out of stuff all the time.

You have to realise though that most of the cakes (apart from the croissants, pain au chocolat and cookies, which are baked on site) are not made or cooked on site, that's all done at the factories and sent in every day. So if say the jam doughnuts run out and there's no more on the delivery trays, that's it. The shop staff can't make more. Yes, management order in however much they think the shop'll need that day, but sometimes it's much busier than expected so they run out.

Never knew that!
I feel so sorry for you! (and any other Greggs workers)

Quick Reply

Latest