The Student Room Group

Applying with an Access course isn't working :/

This is a bit of a general thread (rant?:s-smilie:) about me trying to get into vet med.

So i did a pre-Access and then an Access course (GCSE and A-level equivalents) over a 2 year period. A while after completing the Access course i decided to look into vet med, but only 3 uni's will even vaguely consider taking Access students.

1-Liverpool gave me a very discriminatory response about Access students, but i applied there anyway because i had lots of blank slots left.

2-Nottingham, where i wanted to go and applied to the gateway course, turned me down because i don't have good GCSE results. It doesn't matter that i have an Access course under my belt or that my GCSE's were 15 years ago, the fact that they had 17 people apply for every 1 vacancy plus a few other things are against me.

3-Bristol...well i'm waiting to hear from them, i applied to the gateway course, but i'm not holding my breath considering the responses i've had so far from other uni's.

I was looking into getting home study A-levels so i could apply to more than a couple of uni's next time. I would need top grades in biology, math and chemistry to be considered. Though i am not aware of anyone that can provide home study chemistry as you need lab access.

Am i doomed to be a 30+ year old sitting in a classroom full of judgemental 17 year olds doing A-levels in a classroom? Oh to be alienated all over again! >.<

Does anyone know of somewhere that offers proper A-levels (not equivalents, i've had enough trouble with "equivalent" qualifications), especially chemistry?

Has anyone tried home study A-levels, and did you find them good enough to prepare you for the exams?

I'm basically just trying to vastly improve my chances of getting accepted into uni for vet med. I can't keep applying as Nottingham already told me i only have 2 more tries, and i'd be best not trying till i have A-levels in biology. chemistry and math, and GCSE's in math (unless i do A-level)and english.

Home study isn't actually a lot cheaper, not when you take into account the exam costs :/ A-levels are about £600 each, home study ones are £400, plus exam costs. Math has 6 exams over the 2 year course and they can be £50-100 each i was told :frown:

Any advice/question is welcome.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I imagine that you will get a load of replies on here telling you that the Access course isn't an A-Level equivalent, and as a current Access student (who attempted AS-Levels) i can honestly say from my experience that Access does not cover anywhere near as much information as A-Level would.

You will also find that some universities just generally arent interested in Access students.

Add this to the fact that VetMed is a hugely competitive having just a 'good' application is not enough. You need to be outstanding.

I imagine that you may well need to take A-Levels but you will also need to provide evidence that you have a huge passion for this subject (extensive work exp. and so on)
Reply 2
I've started work experience already. I was under the impression that the Access course would be suitable for a mature student though. I wasn't sure what i wanted to apply for until after i'd completed the course. I'm aware the Access is a brief delve into a variety of subjects, whereas A-levels are more in depth. I was hoping the motivation to get back into study, and the proof that you can still study would make up for the fact. I did apply to gateway courses afterall :/

Ah well, i'm stuck now, hence this thread for advice :smile:
Reply 3
Yes Access course is suitable, but just so happens that youre applying to probably one of the most competitive courses out there.

Even some of the best A-Level students will be getting rejected, thats just the way it is when theres 15+ people after each spot
Reply 4
Hi, I'm not too sure how much I can help, but I shall go for it anyway!

I am home studying Chemistry and Biology, having done the normal A-level route finishing in 2009 (with humanities subjects,,pretty useless!), so obviously for vet-med and standing the greatest chance, I decided to take the science a-levels. I did consider doing what you're doing atm, by applying to the 6 year courses at nottingham and bristol, but just thought I wouldn't stand much of a chance so decided not to waste a an application and a year on it.

Depending on what board of Chemistry or Biology you are going to be studying there is likely to be a practical element to both of them at some point during AS and/or A2. I'm quite lucky in that I managed to enrol last year on a part-time plan of study at a local college, where I sat all my exams and practical exams, this year I'm going it completely alone and am doing my exams at my old school (as far as I know you shouldn't really have much trouble finding a centre that will allow you to sit the written exams,,,for a fee obviously), but you might have a bit more trouble finding one that will allow you to use their labs for the practical exams (again I'm lucky enough I've found one that will let me do my practical retakes this year).

I honestly think your best would be phoning around local colleges and sixth forms, not neccessarily to be in a class with 17/18 year olds, as for starts I don't imagine a lot of them allow it, I know they didn't when I was first looking around. There ARE adult programmes out there if you can find them, and part-time ones that you can fit around work and other committments, even ones you can do in the evening.

My course last year was AS in 6 months, and A2 in 6 months (so a year long program giving you both the FULL a-levels i.e. the complete qualifications enabling you to apply to the straight 5 year vet med degree). It was also part-time, 2 days a week, so there was still a massive element of self-study and motivation needed, but I feel gave me the basic knowledge and help I needed to even be able to get my head around chem/biology, so that I can really have a stab at it this year.

As you'd possibly be needing a further 3rd a-level perhaps this could be one which is slightly less intense than the 2 sciences, geography for example (it doesn't need to be maths) or just one which could be more eaily self-studied, especially if u do manage to find a place to sit both chemistry and biology in.

I'm from Birmingham. If this is any use to you I could foward you the details of the place where did my intensive 1 year study in chem/bio alevels last year.

Best of luck sorting something out! And hearing from Bristol too, you might not even need the a-levels fingers crossed.

xxx
Original post by Carlito o.O
This is a bit of a general thread (rant?:s-smilie:) about me trying to get into vet med.

So i did a pre-Access and then an Access course (GCSE and A-level equivalents) over a 2 year period. A while after completing the Access course i decided to look into vet med, but only 3 uni's will even vaguely consider taking Access students.

1-Liverpool gave me a very discriminatory response about Access students, but i applied there anyway because i had lots of blank slots left.

2-Nottingham, where i wanted to go and applied to the gateway course, turned me down because i don't have good GCSE results. It doesn't matter that i have an Access course under my belt or that my GCSE's were 15 years ago, the fact that they had 17 people apply for every 1 vacancy plus a few other things are against me.

3-Bristol...well i'm waiting to hear from them, i applied to the gateway course, but i'm not holding my breath considering the responses i've had so far from other uni's.

I was looking into getting home study A-levels so i could apply to more than a couple of uni's next time. I would need top grades in biology, math and chemistry to be considered. Though i am not aware of anyone that can provide home study chemistry as you need lab access.

Am i doomed to be a 30+ year old sitting in a classroom full of judgemental 17 year olds doing A-levels in a classroom? Oh to be alienated all over again! >.<

Does anyone know of somewhere that offers proper A-levels (not equivalents, i've had enough trouble with "equivalent" qualifications), especially chemistry?

Has anyone tried home study A-levels, and did you find them good enough to prepare you for the exams?

I'm basically just trying to vastly improve my chances of getting accepted into uni for vet med. I can't keep applying as Nottingham already told me i only have 2 more tries, and i'd be best not trying till i have A-levels in biology. chemistry and math, and GCSE's in math (unless i do A-level)and english.

Home study isn't actually a lot cheaper, not when you take into account the exam costs :/ A-levels are about £600 each, home study ones are £400, plus exam costs. Math has 6 exams over the 2 year course and they can be £50-100 each i was told :frown:

Any advice/question is welcome.

I was under the impression a lot of top universities accepted access courses for architecture, but unfortunately they don't (even though they say they do). Therefore I'll be doing 5 AS-levels next year and will most likely continue 4-3 of them to A2 the following year.
Reply 6
Original post by emmaaa..

My course last year was AS in 6 months, and A2 in 6 months (so a year long program giving you both the FULL a-levels i.e. the complete qualifications enabling you to apply to the straight 5 year vet med degree). It was also part-time, 2 days a week, so there was still a massive element of self-study and motivation needed, but I feel gave me the basic knowledge and help I needed to even be able to get my head around chem/biology, so that I can really have a stab at it this year.

As you'd possibly be needing a further 3rd a-level perhaps this could be one which is slightly less intense than the 2 sciences, geography for example (it doesn't need to be maths) or just one which could be more eaily self-studied, especially if u do manage to find a place to sit both chemistry and biology in.
If this is any use to you I could foward you the details of the place where did my intensive 1 year study in chem/bio alevels last year.

Hi, and thanks for the reply. I was going to pick math for the 3rd A-level because i thought that's what most uni's wanted for vet med, biology chemistry and math. I just wanted to maximize my chances of getting in, i'd not really wanna study math at A-level if i had a choice :/

What/where/how was this intense 6 month per AS/A2 course you did, i'm a bit confuzzled. It seems you went to college for it a couple of nights a week, but the majority was home study? Could you also give more details on it please?:smile: Like what the name of the course was, where you got if from (if it was a total homestudy one), etc, so i can look around for it myself. Thanks!

Also how did you find doing 2 A-levels in a year? I've come from a pre-Access and an Access course, both of which i was majorly unsatisfied with, so i'm not sure how intense A-levels will be...plus i've not done exams for about 15 years (and i totally failed those due to no studying, so i can't even call those practise):s-smilie:

I'm sure i'll come up with a few more questions, i just can't think of them right now!

Original post by King-Panther
I was under the impression a lot of top universities accepted access courses for architecture, but unfortunately they don't (even though they say they do). Therefore I'll be doing 5 AS-levels next year and will most likely continue 4-3 of them to A2 the following year.

Bummer! Did you actually apply to any uni's with your Access course, or did you not even bother? The impression i get is that they'll take them...but only as a last resort, which sucks. Also do you need to do so many AS/A-levels? I know for me (i'm 30) they'd cost around £600 per year, per subject, and i think i'm too old to get government funding with the cost. I think you need to be 19-25..or 28 :/

Also i thought they'd be more willing to take Access courses now that they get marked in a better way, with distinctions and such. I did mine on the last year it was a simple pass or fail.

Bummer! Did you actually apply to any uni's with your Access course, or did you not even bother? The impression i get is that they'll take them...but only as a last resort, which sucks. Also do you need to do so many AS/A-levels? I know for me (i'm 30) they'd cost around £600 per year, per subject, and i think i'm too old to get government funding with the cost. I think you need to be 19-25..or 28 :/

Also i thought they'd be more willing to take Access courses now that they get marked in a better way, with distinctions and such. I did mine on the last year it was a simple pass or fail.

No, I'm not going to apply with that alone. I think at the college I'm at, its around £1500, (it was £750 last year but due to government cut backs, there has been an increase) and that would be for 3 - how many you want.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
heyyy, got ur message, sorry for the slow reply, did mean to get back to you :biggrin:

about maths a-level. you definitely don't NEED to do it, I don't have it and many other applicants on here, and it certainly isn't a requirement. The only 2 out of the 7 vet schools that currently specify that they need maths or physics (either of the 2), are cambridge and edinburgh, so it would depend where you wanted to apply as to whether you'd need to take maths or physics. Maybe email individual admissions departments about this however, as the requirements may change by the time you come to apply.

Sorry about my poor description of my course, I realised it didn't make much sense as soon as i'd sent it lol. It was basically a 1 year programme in chemistry and biology a-levels, usually intended for those resitting the 2 a-levels and just needing to essentially up their grade. However, me and a few others in my class were studying it for the first time in this way, so places can be flexible as long as you show you're willing to put the work in. It was called 'Pathways to Medical professions', and was a part-time course, 2 days of tuition a week, 8 hours of each, so they laid down the foundations for us and gave us resources, but it was mainly self study. I'll reply to your message with the detailsof the course tutor if it'll help you in any way.

Studying 2 a-levels in a year isn't actually too bad, it's pretty much equivalent to what most 17-18 year olds will be doing in their first year of sixth form, in that it's near enough the same as 4 AS levels, but with a bit extra work. If you're set on doing well and getting the grades then there's no reason why doing this couldn't work, it might be a bit different for you as you'd be doing 3, and so might consider doing it over 2 years than 1. I didn't get the grades I needed, but if I'm honest it's because I didn't try and put in the work that was needed, but i got the As levels which has definitely laid down a great foundation for my coming exams :smile: Plenty of people in my class who havent studied the sciences in years got AA at A2 level, it's definitely doable, otherwise they wouldn't offer these courses.

A lot of the programmes you find on the internet from organisations offering chemistry and biology a-levels i believe are essentially just offering you the materials for studying i.e. work sheets, notes etc, and help finding a centre to sit your exams. This can be helpful, but I think finding a centre or a school which would allow you access to their resources, work-sheets, textbooks etc would be a lot more helpful, as you can have occassional one and one contact with ACTUAL people. Or of course if you find a course of study for adults like I managed to then this would be a really great option for you. You could even go it alone like I am this year (with textbooks and past papers) if you find a centre willing to facilitate you taking the exams.

I apologise for most of that being waffle, never been v good at being concise! will pm you the details now.

xxx
Reply 9
Not sure if this would help you at all, but there are some sixth forms that will take on mature students - if they're seperate from a school (so no under sixteens) it might be worth giving them a ring. When I did my AS levels there was a lady in her late 30s/early 40s doing chemistry as an A-level as she'd always wanted to do it but never had the chance due to kids, work etc. It didn't seem odd to us, but I guess that depends on the other students and that.

Think it was about £250 per course, including exam fees, 4.5 hours of tuition each week, use of labs and other resources etc. There was also the option to take the AS and the A2 alongside each other (so you could do 2 full A-levels in one year), or you could do more the 'normal' way over two years. Obviously it will vary from place to place though!
Reply 10
Curse my small town! Apparently nobody anywhere near me offers AS and A2 all in one year for chemistry/biology. However, i can apparently do biology from home (but not all in one year for some reason, they say) and i can distance learn math A-level in one year, i then have to face 6xexams in the January, 3 for math AS and 3 for math A2...ouch! :s-smilie:

I'll still be looking for distance learning chemistry, as doing it at an actual college would not only take 2 whole year, it'd screw up any hope for leaving whole days free during the week for work experience/free time/work, so if anyone has any ideas please lemme know! :smile:
Reply 11
Hi Carlito

I'm currently doing A levels in Biology and Chemistry by distance learning. I'm doing Biology with Oxford College/Oxford Distance Learning (same company) and using Edexcel exam board - there is no practical element, just coursework (an essay) that needs to be verified. However, it does cost a lot. I think to do the whole A level in a year costs about £350. On top of this there are 4 exams and 2 pieces of coursework - this is standard, since the year 2000 every A level is comprised of 6 modules. Each exam costs me £50 to sit and each piece of coursework £90. This is on top of the £350 mentioned above. The further cost is textbooks, revision guides etc. You can cut costs by finding a local school/college to let you sit your exams, often at a reduced rate. No schools near me would take me on for some reason, so i use Greene's Tutorial College in Oxford, who will take most people and have been excellent, but the cost is higher. (I'm pretty sure oxford college offer A level maths by distance learning as well).

Chemistry is a whole different ball game. You have to have lab access because there is an assessed practical. Again, Greene's have an option to do your practical there, attending on saturday morning for 6 weeks. The rest I am teaching myself. BUT the cost of doing the practicals is high. Plus again all the exams. Another option is Pembrokeshire College who will let you do a week long residential course where you do all the practicals, for about £250.

It's certainly not a cheap option and it takes a lot of organisation, finding places to sit the exams etc. Also I have found chemistry much, much harder to self-teach than biology, because so much of it is equations etc, rather than just memorising diagrams or explanations.

One of the benefits of doing it this way is that you can take the exams whenever you want - for example I'm taking unit 1 chemistry in May and unit 2 next Jan, so technically in two different academic years. It's perfectly possible to do this, or to take all 6 exams in one year. Hope this helps and sorry for the essay!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Heifer
Hi Carlito

I'm currently doing A levels in Biology and Chemistry by distance learning. I'm doing Biology with Oxford College/Oxford Distance Learning (same company) and using Edexcel exam board - there is no practical element, just coursework (an essay) that needs to be verified. However, it does cost a lot. I think to do the whole A level in a year costs about £350. On top of this there are 4 exams and 2 pieces of coursework - this is standard, since the year 2000 every A level is comprised of 6 modules. Each exam costs me £50 to sit and each piece of coursework £90. This is on top of the £350 mentioned above. The further cost is textbooks, revision guides etc. You can cut costs by finding a local school/college to let you sit your exams, often at a reduced rate. No schools near me would take me on for some reason, so i use Greene's Tutorial College in Oxford, who will take most people and have been excellent, but the cost is higher. (I'm pretty sure oxford college offer A level maths by distance learning as well).

Chemistry is a whole different ball game. You have to have lab access because there is an assessed practical. Again, Greene's have an option to do your practical there, attending on saturday morning for 6 weeks. The rest I am teaching myself. BUT the cost of doing the practicals is high. Plus again all the exams. Another option is Pembrokeshire College who will let you do a week long residential course where you do all the practicals, for about £250.

It's certainly not a cheap option and it takes a lot of organisation, finding places to sit the exams etc. Also I have found chemistry much, much harder to self-teach than biology, because so much of it is equations etc, rather than just memorising diagrams or explanations.

One of the benefits of doing it this way is that you can take the exams whenever you want - for example I'm taking unit 1 chemistry in May and unit 2 next Jan, so technically in two different academic years. It's perfectly possible to do this, or to take all 6 exams in one year. Hope this helps and sorry for the essay!

Wow. That's very interesting. I was under the impression you had to take exams at certain times of the year, ie. January, as that's the month everyone mentioned so far when i talked to a number of the distance learning companies.

Are you able to take exams at any time you want, or do they just give you a choice of a select few dates throughout the year?

This could enable me to escape having to go to college x hours per week! I'm going to pop into one of my local colleges, ask them about the course and how intense they are. I've not done an exam for 15 years, so i'm not sure how well i'll do at them. Plus i need top grades really or i'm screwed :s-smilie:

Thanks for the info everyone! I'll check back in a few days as i'm off on a roadtrip tomorrow :smile:
Reply 13
Wow. That's very interesting. I was under the impression you had to take exams at certain times of the year, ie. January, as that's the month everyone mentioned so far when i talked to a number of the distance learning companies.

Are you able to take exams at any time you want, or do they just give you a choice of a select few dates throughout the year?

The exams are held in January and May/June each year. But there's nothing to stop you, say, sitting Unit 1 and 3 of a module in January and Unit 2 in June, or whatever order you want to do them. For one subject all the exams are held on exactly the same day and time for all the exam boards - e.g. Biology unit 2 is on 26th May regardless of whether you are doing edexcel, AQA etc. You do need to register a couple of months in advance though to give the school time to make your entry. The deadline I've been given for the May exams is sometime in March. You can find all the exam timetables on the exam board websites.

Good luck with whichever route you decide to take.
Reply 14
Sorry I forgot to mention - the distance learning company (at least, the one I'm with) don't have any influence over when you take your exams. Basically, you pay your money to them and they send you a pack of notes. Usually there is some kind of tutor support, so you get homework to do and they mark it for you. But other than that it is up to you to organise the exams and do them when you want. They've never asked me when I am planning to do the exams. I think most people do tend to do unit 1 in Jan and units 2/3 in May though, just to spread the work evenly throughout the year.
Reply 15
Hello All, I've just found this thread and I too am trying to find out which route to go down a levels at a centre (if I can find one), home study or access. Last year I had though about doing medicine and got accepted on an access to med course but didn't really have any work experience so turned it down as not much chance of getting in to uni. After a long think I realised I would be much happier doing vet med (like I origninally intended to do 14 years ago when I was doing GCSE's!). I have lots of experience and ultimately as a study option and long term career this is what I have always wanted, but I didn't think this was a mature student option!

I think the a level option is best but not sure if I am up to home studying or even a levels at all after such a long break. Should I do gcse re takes first to refresh my memory? As a mature student do you still need three A's at a level?
Reply 16
Original post by minminchez
Hello All, I've just found this thread and I too am trying to find out which route to go down a levels at a centre (if I can find one), home study or access. Last year I had though about doing medicine and got accepted on an access to med course but didn't really have any work experience so turned it down as not much chance of getting in to uni. After a long think I realised I would be much happier doing vet med (like I origninally intended to do 14 years ago when I was doing GCSE's!). I have lots of experience and ultimately as a study option and long term career this is what I have always wanted, but I didn't think this was a mature student option!

I think the a level option is best but not sure if I am up to home studying or even a levels at all after such a long break. Should I do gcse re takes first to refresh my memory? As a mature student do you still need three A's at a level?

I think you're best off with A-levels. I phoned Nottingham (and will phone the others to know what they want, regarding qualifications) and this year they had 17 applicants for every 1 vet med course vacancy. I was basically told to go do A-levels and it'd be a waste of an application to try before then (too late, i already applied with an Access course! -_-)

I was told i need English and math GCSE, too :/ I have a D in English, and a GCSE equivalent in math...this is why i'll phone every uni to see exactly what they'll accept.

I feel the same way about studying at home after such a long break. I basically didn't do any work/study at school. I did do an Access and pre-Access course, but i've not much faith in them as they were complete crap. I've not done exams since my 15+ year old GCSE's.

I'd rather home study than have to attend college 2 hours one day, 4 hours another, etc etc. There's no chance of doing anything in the day (work, etc) when you have a 2 hour lesson right in the middle of it.

I'm looking forward to studying biology, but absolutely dreading chemistry....it just looks so fricking complex. Hopefully i get my head wrapped around it and find it an ok subject. Math...well i'll find out how many uni's want that at A-level...hopefully none!:biggrin:
I think you're best off with A-levels. I phoned Nottingham (and will phone the others to know what they want, regarding qualifications) and this year they had 17 applicants for every 1 vet med course vacancy. I was basically told to go do A-levels and it'd be a waste of an application to try before then (too late, i already applied with an Access course! -_-)

I was told i need English and math GCSE, too :/ I have a D in English, and a GCSE equivalent in math...this is why i'll phone every uni to see exactly what they'll accept.

I feel the same way about studying at home after such a long break. I basically didn't do any work/study at school. I did do an Access and pre-Access course, but i've not much faith in them as they were complete crap. I've not done exams since my 15+ year old GCSE's.

I'd rather home study than have to attend college 2 hours one day, 4 hours another, etc etc. There's no chance of doing anything in the day (work, etc) when you have a 2 hour lesson right in the middle of it.

I'm looking forward to studying biology, but absolutely dreading chemistry....it just looks so fricking complex. Hopefully i get my head wrapped around it and find it an ok subject. Math...well i'll find out how many uni's want that at A-level...hopefully none!:biggrin:

I don't know much about vet med but I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted maths, as it is almost compulsory in a lot of degrees. Does your access course cover chemistry? If it does, that should be more than a sound foundation for a chemistry A-level. Good luck.. I'm doing 4 A-levels next year as an access course just isn't enough for an architecture degree.

I know at least one of which does. Also you need to resit your GCSES/get equivalents. Most places require 5 As. :smile:
Reply 19
Hi there, what did you do your access course in? as Liverpool told me that the Access course called pathways to medical science would be accepted...::confused:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending