The Student Room Group

Arkwright Scholarship

Hope this is the right place to post... But has anyone here ever applied or got an Arkwright scholarship? Just wanted to know people's experiences. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I personally didn't apply because I didn't take technology A-level, but my brother is and did apply and now has a scholarship, what do you want to know specifically?
Original post by dotty_but_good
I personally didn't apply because I didn't take technology A-level, but my brother is and did apply and now has a scholarship, what do you want to know specifically?

Just what people got out of doing it. I know previous students at my school have got it and had great work experience etc. :smile:
Original post by IPlayThePiccolo
Just what people got out of doing it. I know previous students at my school have got it and had great work experience etc. :smile:

My brother doesn't get work experience out of his because he is working with Marshals aerospace and they can't offer w/e because of health and safety or something apparently.

I think he used the money to help develop a product he is designing, but other than that not sure he has got that much out of it so far. But he only got it this year, so not had it that long.
Original post by dotty_but_good
My brother doesn't get work experience out of his because he is working with Marshals aerospace and they can't offer w/e because of health and safety or something apparently.

I think he used the money to help develop a product he is designing, but other than that not sure he has got that much out of it so far. But he only got it this year, so not had it that long.

ah I see. I handed in my application form this week so I guess I'll see what happens... thanks :biggrin:
Reply 5
hello how did it go today?
I chose question 2 and 3 and did really badly :s-smilie:
Reply 6
Hi, I also did questions 2 and 3. BTW I think the test was generally quite hard as there were about 5 of us at my school and we all thought we hadn't done particularly well. Does anyone know when we get the results of the test?
Original post by oggo1001
Hi, I also did questions 2 and 3. BTW I think the test was generally quite hard as there were about 5 of us at my school and we all thought we hadn't done particularly well. Does anyone know when we get the results of the test?

March I think. Interviews are in march or april. Whuch unis did you put down for where you want your interview?
Reply 8
Original post by IPlayThePiccolo
March I think. Interviews are in march or april. Whuch unis did you put down for where you want your interview?

Thanks, I put the ones closest to me - Imperial 1st and 2nd choice for the two different dates and cambridge 3rd.
Original post by oggo1001
Thanks, I put the ones closest to me - Imperial 1st and 2nd choice for the two different dates and cambridge 3rd.

I put Southampton and both Imperials... Did you find it really hard? I'm not amazing at DT anyway but I've never learned electronics or mechanics so I found it SUPER hard!!
Reply 10
Sorry about the lack of a reply. Did either of you get through? I just got a rejection letter.
Reply 11
Same...
Reply 12
Ive got my exam 2moz, any tips???
Reply 13
There's not much I can help with given how I didn't get it myself but one thing I would say is that make sure you look at the mark scheme before the exam.
Reply 14
When did you get your letters? I felt like the test went really well, bit anxious about the result!
Reply 15
Looking at my earlier post, I think it was the 12th of March, so yours should be around then. Good luck!
Hi there, I have just done the paper, looks like it went well for you, wasn't great for me, have done better but I guess it could have gone worse! I doubt it was good enough to get through though! I did qs 1 and 4, hbu? Looks like we have got a month of anticipation coming up!
I am a current scholar. If anyone has any questions I would be happy to answer them :smile:
Reply 18
Scholar here :smile: general tips; in the exam, be as creative as possible, and try to get some technical info/ development in there as well as aesthetic design. As for the interview, most people dressed smart/ casual, and some just went in uniforms. They mainly asked about my GCSE technology project and career aspirations, and people who infuenced me etc. It was pretty informal as far as interviews go, so nothing to get stressed about
In terms of what I got out of it; £500 and something nice ot put on the CV, to be honest :/ my sponsor was a fund, as a pose to a company. Something called the Len Giles trust, so I could not get any work experience from that, and they never even replied to my letters so they weren't overly helpful.
The arkwright people themselves run engineering days which look really good, but there are a limited number of these, and the only one in my area over the 2 years was a day when I had a uni interview so I couldn't make it, but that is another CV booster if you can make one.
The money is really helpful when it comes to a-levels. I bought a graphical calculator, all the books on the extended reading lists for uni and all my materials for product design, and still have some left over to put towards my printer for uni. There are also undergrad scholarships of up to £12,000 which are only open to arkwright scholars, so that's definately a plus
Universities do seem to like it too- it show you've held an interest and shown potential in engineering from an early (ish) age so helps when applying for realted STEM courses
Hope this helps :smile:
Wow, thanks for the help, I doubt I will get through, my ideas created solutions but I don't think they were that creative lol! We will see what happens, I am based in Cambridge area my local sponsor would be marshals aerospace. However, I do know someone who lives near Cambridge who go sponsored by Rolls Royce we will have to wait and see! As for the money, I think I know where it will be spent, don't worry, it won't be wasted! However, I don't think I will get through so can't dream too far!

Quick Reply

Latest