The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9280
Original post by Aiko
Ah, it's the opposite. I was unsure because I know a number of photographers who assist for free, so I assumed the freelance work would be your source of income. :smile:

I actually know fair few photographers who have the problem of trying out get out of free work. So many people expect them to want to do work for free which I find unfair myself. I have a flatmate who isn't a photographer but is pretty good with a camera and whenever I have asked him to do some photo's for me I've always offer to pay him in a few pints at least. He's never taken me up on that but it's at least courtesy for the work he's doing.

Though saying that with me doing stand up I will jump on a gig even if it's unpaid. It's all about making a name for yourself I guess
Reply 9281
I've never been one for keeping up with a new season, but for the first time I have literally no idea what's on anime-wise at the moment :erm: saw a 'comparing anime this season to this season 10 years ago' thing on the interwebs....and I can remember watching all of the 10 years ago stuff like I was watching it yesterday, but the new stuff....looked a bit rubbish and hasn't stuck in my brain at all :erm:

I wish bartender was available over here :sad: I'm in the mood to watch it again
Reply 9282
Original post by JWH
I actually know fair few photographers who have the problem of trying out get out of free work. So many people expect them to want to do work for free which I find unfair myself. I have a flatmate who isn't a photographer but is pretty good with a camera and whenever I have asked him to do some photo's for me I've always offer to pay him in a few pints at least. He's never taken me up on that but it's at least courtesy for the work he's doing.

Though saying that with me doing stand up I will jump on a gig even if it's unpaid. It's all about making a name for yourself I guess

Sadly, it's reflexive of the current job market, especially for newcomers with minimal work experience. I would say that for photographers, in-housing is probably the most viable and secure means of employment.

Original post by skipp
I've never been one for keeping up with a new season, but for the first time I have literally no idea what's on anime-wise at the moment :erm: saw a 'comparing anime this season to this season 10 years ago' thing on the interwebs....and I can remember watching all of the 10 years ago stuff like I was watching it yesterday, but the new stuff....looked a bit rubbish and hasn't stuck in my brain at all :erm:

I wish bartender was available over here :sad: I'm in the mood to watch it again

I've always followed what's currently airing, but I suppose that's largely because I started watching anime this way from an early age up to now. The only time I didn't follow anything was in 2003 when I moved to the UK and didn't watch anything at all, save for the occasional binge when I returned to Japan during the holidays. However, in recent years I'm preferring to marathon. :smile:
Reply 9283
Original post by skipp

I'm completely out of the loop, all I've watched recently was mirai nikki, Another and that listen to me show.

Nowadays I watch US shows more- 30 rock recently :biggrin:

Also

Reply 9284
Allow me to show you how a true king plays twister
Reply 9285
Original post by Carecup
Allow me to show you how a true king plays twister

oh dear all that text :lolwut:
Reply 9286
Original post by vin
oh dear all that text :lolwut:

Mimicking Niconico is clearly considered cool. Regardless, I daren't view that video; might conjure up nightmarish memories of the NY Comic Con.
Reply 9287
Original post by Aiko
Mimicking Niconico is clearly considered cool. Regardless, I daren't view that video; might conjure up nightmarish memories of the NY Comic Con.

I hope not, but this is the first time ive seen it taken to this level.:lolwut:
Reply 9288
I was under the impression it was done so the guys in front of the camera can easily read people comments.
Original post by Aiko
Ah, it's the opposite. I was unsure because I know a number of photographers who assist for free, so I assumed the freelance work would be your source of income. :smile:

Ah. But my assisting job is freelance, I'm not tied down to any photographers. I do some shoots of my own and image library work to earn some extra money but otherwise, assisting is my main job.
Reply 9290
Where's JWH?

:awesome:
Reply 9291
Original post by Truered
Where's JWH?

A 47 min video about why some guy likes cartoon ponies?:wtf: Surely that could be explained in a short paragraph.:erm: Ok 2 mins in and he's explained it.:indiff:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9292
Uh-oh someone likes something on the internet :afraid:
Reply 9293
Original post by Truered
Uh-oh someone likes something on the internet :afraid:

could be worse :s:

They could love it instead.:s:
Reply 9294
Original post by vin
could be worse :s:

They could love it instead.:s:

Like AJ and his lolisheep

God lord it must have been at least a year since I last made that kind of joke :colondollar:
Reply 9295
Minna :grouphugs:
I'm in Japan.
Strange place and EXPENSIVE!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9296
Original post by La Trampa
Ah. But my assisting job is freelance, I'm not tied down to any photographers. I do some shoots of my own and image library work to earn some extra money but otherwise, assisting is my main job.

Oh, I see. Having now looked at your website (nice, by the way), I'm impressed that you've assisted quite a number of photographers already. How long do you normally assist any one photographer? Is there any downtime? I've never been brave enough to freelance full time, always relying on it as a supplementary source of income and to provide some variety in the work I do. :smile:

Original post by kestral
Minna :grouphugs:
I'm in Japan.
Strange place and EXPENSIVE!

Strange and expensive? I suppose in comparison with the UK for the former, although Tokyo is comparable to London regarding the latter. :tongue: Hope you're having a good time, anyway. :smile:
Reply 9297
Original post by Aiko

Strange and expensive? I suppose in comparison with the UK for the former, although Tokyo is comparable to London regarding the latter. :tongue: Hope you're having a good time, anyway. :smile:

Transport here is so much more expensive than London!
Reply 9298
Original post by kestral
Transport here is so much more expensive than London!

Nope, it's actually a little bit more expensive in London. :tongue:
Reply 9299
Original post by Truered
Where's JWH?

47 minutes long :wtf: who can talk about a show about ponies that seem to be on crack for that long.

Latest