Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Society

Announcements Posted on
Cast your vote for the Game of the Year awards! 20-11-2014
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LtCommanderData)
    Take a copy of the save files before you re-install so you can try moving them to the new directory afterwards and see if it picks them up
    Yep, already done that.

But even if it does like the old files I might start again anyway.

Fortunately we got BT Infinity a fortnight ago, so Steam downloads now take about 45 minutes for a Skyrim-sized game. :woo: I am glad that Bethesda kept the file size down, Rage is a stupid 20GB. An awesome 20GB, but 20GB nonetheless.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Facticity)
    This is why I always have a disk I have never gotten anything off steam, its cheaper but honestly the amount of patch and runtime errors that come about are ridiculous. Since Steam simply installs according to a set of instructions, and computers and settings differ almost completely, it often has a hard time making it work for everyone.

No problem :hat2: Try the re-install. If that doesn't work. There are other more... potent [SIZE="1"](and physical)[/SIZE] methods of fixing it

Now, back to Skyrim :moon:
    I'm not trying to persuade you to start buying games on Steam or anything, but don't overestimate the number of problems it causes. I've got over 150 games on there and can't think off the top of my head of a problem I've ever had that wouldn't have arisen if I'd bought it another way (apart from slow downloads)

EDIT: I know it does cause problems, and the number will vary by person, and I'm sure I've been very lucky etc, but still. It's not that much of a minefield, really
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LtCommanderData)
    I'm not trying to persuade you to start buying games on Steam or anything, but don't overestimate the number of problems it causes. I've got over 150 games on there and can't think off the top of my head of a problem I've ever had that wouldn't have arisen if I'd bought it another way (apart from slow downloads)

EDIT: I know it does cause problems, and the number will vary by person, and I'm sure I've been very lucky etc, but still. It's not that much of a minefield, really
    Fair enough. I'm not discouraging anyone from using Steam, I'm just not a fan. I prefer to have my data on hard disk and so I can see and do whats necessary, a lot easier than if I have to download from an external server. I also save hard drive space which in the long run is nice. Also, with things like server crashes, download times, errors and more commonly just the inability to trade back for money / credits, I just don't feel like I need steam. They may not have happened to you but a quick google search would reveal a huge bank of problems associated directly with getting things off steam as opposed to a hard copy. Don't get me wrong, there are great prices on steam for obvious reasons and it is massively popular and works great for the majority however, I just don't see the few pounds as important enough to potentially have to deal with that. :nah:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Amazon, you are the most useless piece of **** in the world.

The game was dispatched and the delivery estimate said today and ONLY today.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    And whilst I wait . . .

Jeremy Soule's at it again - writing music I love.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    OK how do I play as a stealthy character? I don't want any sword fights or anything like that.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I'm thinking of getting Skyrim tomorrow! Only thing being I haven't played many RPGs, Fable is probably about the most hardcore I've gone :P Would someone pretty new to the genre be able to make sense of it/enjoy it? I'm off sick from work until at least January so I have plenty of time and want to get addicted to something to take my mind off things :P
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shark67)
    OK how do I play as a stealthy character? I don't want any sword fights or anything like that.
    Crouch + arrows + daggers + poison + light armour + lockpicks + speech

I always found Argonians and Bosmer/Wood Elves to be the best sleuthers, Wood Elves because they're the best archers and Argonians because they can spend infinite time underwater and can regenerate if they get spotted and engaged in combat. Bretons are excellent stealth mages, as well. Stealth is also about being able to talk your way past confrontations, avoiding detection altogether, and higher speech will also let you get more for the extra loot that you can bag without cumbersome heavy armour and weapons. Use poison on your weapons to increase their efficacy.
    • 33 followers

ReputationRep:
    To those with the Xbox 360 version: Do not install Skyrim to your Xbox hard drive as it causes texture loading problems. Bethesda is currently planning a patch for the issue but until then people should play the game from the disk.

http://kotaku.com/5858743/bethesda-w...installing-yet

I verified this with my copy, played it off the disk, then decided to install and after an hour or so of game play some of the textures began downscaling. To fix the problem uninstall the game, wipe the cache, play off disk until patch comes out.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    I doubt it will be sold out everywhere. It will probably be in some places, but if you wanted it, I'm sure you could find it. It definitely wouldn't be a waste :coma:
    It was sold out at the store (but they had a whole display of MW at the front :argh: ) so despite my poorly feet I'm going to be walking into town tomorrow :teehee:

The prospect of gaming tends to get me walking more then the idea of exercise :mmm:
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Truered)
    It was sold out at the store (but they had a whole display of MW at the front :argh: ) so despite my poorly feet I'm going to be walking into town tomorrow :teehee:

The prospect of gaming tends to get me walking more then the idea of exercise :mmm:
    :console: Well, you're feet will thank you when your Skyrim makes you a chair bound, comatose ES addict who rarely leaves the provision of their chair except for bathroom and food/order food
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    :console: Well, you're feet will thank you when your Skyrim makes you a chair bound, comatose ES addict who rarely leaves the provision of their chair except for bathroom and food/order food
    If it manages to grab me like ME2 did last year the controller might become a part of my hands :nyoron:

Forget food, I just have some canned drinks to keep be going :ahee:
    • 163 followers

I miss the sun and the pastures of green grass from Oblivion. Snow gets a bit depressing.

(Original post by fire2burn)
    To those with the Xbox 360 version: Do not install Skyrim to your Xbox hard drive as it causes texture loading problems. Bethesda is currently planning a patch for the issue but until then people should play the game from the disk.

http://kotaku.com/5858743/bethesda-w...installing-yet

I verified this with my copy, played it off the disk, then decided to install and after an hour or so of game play some of the textures began downscaling. To fix the problem uninstall the game, wipe the cache, play off disk until patch comes out.
    I knew something was up but thought the day one patch would have fixed it. Whilst the general environment is beautiful, some of the textures such as the ground, clothing and rocks are Playstation 1 level textures.

Going to try deleting the install now. I guess the best way to clear cache is to play another game? I don't want to manually remove the cache: doing so on the 360 removes updates for every single game you've ever played.
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Truered)
    If it manages to grab me like ME2 did last year the controller might become a part of my hands :nyoron:

Forget food, I just have some canned drinks to keep be going :ahee:
    It will grab you in more ways than ME2 would ever dream of :moon:

Forget sustenance, just play :awesome:

(Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    I miss the sun and the pastures of green grass from Oblivion. Snow gets a bit depressing.
    :ditto:

Whilst the general environment is beautiful, some of the textures such as the ground, clothing and rocks are Playstation 1 level textures.
    Should have gotten pc version... jus' sayin' :flute:
    • 163 followers

So racist tbh. And btw, strat guide? Pathetic mate :pierre:
    I also have a habit of killing all non-human looking NPCs on sight. Again, no racist. :pierre:

Guide is awesome. Don't be jelly.

Should have gotten pc version... jus' sayin' :flute:
    I like my Party Chat tbh. :sly:
    • 163 followers

What is everyone doing at the moment?

Currently doing the Mage related quests.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    Started as a high born elf, restarted already to be a dark elf :mmm:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    At the start I followed the faggy Imperial dude who wanted to chop my head off, am I stuck with the Imperials for the rest of the game???

I want to be part of the other group I might start again, been playing it all day though, oops.
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    I also have a habit of killing all non-human looking NPCs on sight. Again, no racist. :pierre:

Guide is awesome. Don't be jelly.
    You're such a fascist. I think its your paranoia seeping in, too much Halo...

No jelly here. Guide is nooby. Skyrim isn't a game with a set structure or 'missable' mega collectibles. You explore at your pace and find what you want. A guide takes out the fun, tries to tell you what to do and where to go and ruins the fun of getting killed and finding caves and such to loot which just happen to have awesome weapons and your face lights up. So again, guide is sad - its the anti-Skyrim tbh :pierre:

I like my Party Chat tbh. :sly:
    You can just keep inviting people anyway like you've always done. Plus, not like you utilise the 'chat' function of a party chat. :indiff:

(Original post by Mess.)
    Started as a high born elf, restarted already to be a dark elf :mmm:
    Dark Elf is just the best. Best magika and weapon mix up. Can't be a full mage, get destroyed in large fights. Don't want to be a full melee, too boring. Dark Elf = just right :yep:
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cupid Stunt)
    At the start I followed the faggy Imperial dude who wanted to chop my head off, am I stuck with the Imperials for the rest of the game???

I want to be part of the other group I might start again, been playing it all day though, oops.
    No you're not. You're free to be and join whoever you want and it won't affect the story. Don't bother starting again as the difference will be negligible.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 26, 2014
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.