The Student Room Group

Mature Student - Looking to study medicine

Hi all, I have tried to find a post that covers this but I couldn't locate it so thought I would have a go.

Well when I was younger I had a very unlucky upbringing.

At school I was never disruptive but confused and angry all the time, didn't do well and no college or friends really. Things changed when I got to 21 and I started to do well at work, currently I am studying Economics and Pure Math with the OpenUni which is great (end of 2nd year/3 modules to go.) I work in Investment Brokerage with a small discretionary fund manager and chose the course because my boss and I agreed it would help me do well in work. Which it has and I do not regret choosing it.

However along side that, I have always been a Director of a UK charity which helps young orphaned kids abroad, and recently I have had this feeling that I want to help people more than just making them money. Work is great and rewarding enough for what it is, but I think when I wake up "does it really matter to anyone" I know it does, but I have been feeling this way for 6 months now.

I am 25, and at the mid life crisis point already I suppose........ I know what I want to do which is help people more, just getting to that stage is hard and I don't have anyone for guidance really.

So the situation is:

I did bad at GCSE, the best I got was B in English and the rest range from C-E. Never went to college and have worked all my life (apart from spending 2 months in Africa building a school with my charity.)

The only good thing, I have done well in the last four years. Doing well in my OpenUni degree and also am qualified for the Investment Management Cert, Diploma in International Tax, Certificate in Financial Planning to give financial advice. But no Chem, Biology or Physic's. :frown:

I am in Dublin at present, going to volunteer at the needle exchange and a care home one day a fortnight each until Oct 2012 when I will finish current degree, then I'm out of ideas about how to get in any Uni?

I know this is long, but no ideas on how to get to uni, or access course anywhere? Tips anything would be really helpful as I am out hitherto.....

Many thanks in advance

K
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by KristianoG
Hi all, I have tried to find a post that covers this but I couldn't locate it so thought I would have a go.

Well when I was younger I had a very unlucky upbringing. I was born in prison and my dad raised me, until he killed himself when I was around 10 and I never recovered in time to knuckle down at school.

At school I was never disruptive but confused and angry all the time, didn't do well and no college or friends really. Things changed when I got to 21 and I started to do well at work, currently I am studying Economics and Pure Math with the OpenUni which is great (end of 2nd year/3 modules to go.) I work in Investment Brokerage with a small discretionary fund manager and chose the course because my boss and I agreed it would help me do well in work. Which it has and I do not regret choosing it.

However along side that, I have always been a Director of a UK charity which helps young orphaned kids abroad, and recently I have had this feeling that I want to help people more than just making them money. Work is great and rewarding enough for what it is, but I think when I wake up "does it really matter to anyone" I know it does, but I have been feeling this way for 6 months now.

I am 25, and at the mid life crisis point already I suppose........ I know what I want to do which is help people more, just getting to that stage is hard and I don't have anyone for guidance really.

So the situation is:

I did bad at GCSE, the best I got was B in English and the rest range from C-E. Never went to college and have worked all my life (apart from spending 2 months in Africa building a school with my charity.)

The only good thing, I have done well in the last four years. Doing well in my OpenUni degree and also am qualified for the Investment Management Cert, Diploma in International Tax, Certificate in Financial Planning to give financial advice. But no Chem, Biology or Physic's. :frown:

I am in Dublin at present, going to volunteer at the needle exchange and a care home one day a fortnight each until Oct 2012 when I will finish current degree, then I'm out of ideas about how to get in any Uni?

I know this is long, but no ideas on how to get to uni, or access course anywhere? Tips anything would be really helpful as I am out hitherto.....

Many thanks in advance

K

Hi KristianoG
my advice would be to contact the local Further/Higher Education colleges near where you live and ask if they do any related Access Courses.I would suggest you look into doing a Science Based course.For Medicine you would need Science Subjects such as Biology,Chemistry and Physics or Maths.Can i ask what is your degree going to be in?
You need to do some more research into what Medical schools would accept as a entry requirments.
Let me know what i asked u and i will advise you further.
(edited 13 years ago)
There are currently several people on my Access course who've applied for medicine. Competition seems to be very tough but even without considering your bad start, you sound very able and I'm sure you'll get there. A friend of mine went to a university open day for medicine and they were advised you don't need to be a genius to study medicine, you just need to work blo*dy hard!

Good luck- With determination, you'll get there.

I start my law degree in Sept! Yikes! :biggrin:
Reply 3
contact the universities that you wish to apply to, they are normally very helpful and they can tell you exactly what you need. other than that, put your heart in it and go for it. all credit to you that despite your unfortunate start to life you manage to overcome the odds and do so well. you will be a wonderful doctor.
Reply 4
Thanks for the comments guys, I really found them helpful. I will contact my local unis and see what they look for and need for entry.

K
Reply 5
I admire your determination.

Firstly, I think you need to consider taking some GCSEs as most medical schools really do require basic GCSEs. You dont want that to prevent you from getting into med school when you could have easily achieved it.
Consider doing some work experience to really confirm whether or not medicine is what you want to do. There are so many careers that involve helping people-work in a hospital environment and see whether you like it.

Having a BSc in something related to science is very helpful but not a pre requisite-most med schools are happy with any degree.

To give you a competitive edge, I would recommend taking A level in biology, Chemistry (or at least access course).

Medical schools do really consider your extra curriculars so I think you will certainly score highly on that.

I think you have to be selective about your choice of medical school.

Its certainly possible to achieve, just need to give yourself plenty of time to work on your portfolio.

Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending