The Student Room Group

Can someone please explain the UMS marking to me?

I asked my teachers about this but they just said, "I don't know."

Anyway, I was just wondering how this works. Because for my GCSE History medicine exam (25% of final mark) I got 44/50, which is, of course, 88%. But my UMS mark says I got 100%??? Which I found really strange. Could it have something to do with the fact that I got 16/16 for the last question, which according to my teacher "no one gets"?
Thanks
It means you're near the very top in terms of marks compared to everyone else. Well done.
You don't need 100% to get full UMS mark - your marks are usually scaled up.
Reply 3
My teacher told me "they dont tell you how to work out UMS its a secret" by the way i got A* in history mock lol
as far as i know, everyones marks are put on a graph. these are then scaled (non-linearly) to get them to roughly match up to a nice standardised distribution.

in this way, if its a hard lot of exams and overall people get relatively low marks, then they are all scaled up so a certain proportion will still get A's, B's etc...

so your 44/50 being given 100% UMS just means that very few people got over 44/50, so they just scaled your mark up to 100%
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by miledd
I asked my teachers about this but they just said, "I don't know."

Anyway, I was just wondering how this works. Because for my GCSE History medicine exam (25% of final mark) I got 44/50, which is, of course, 88%. But my UMS mark says I got 100%??? Which I found really strange. Could it have something to do with the fact that I got 16/16 for the last question, which according to my teacher "no one gets"?
Thanks

In comparison to everybody else who has taken the module that you have, 44/50 was the highest mark, giving you a UMS of 100%.

Quick Reply

Latest