Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

JRPG Society: Discussion Thread I

Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness is down to only 8 films! Help decide on the final 4 now! 15-07-2014
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    JRPG Society

Discussion Thread I

Post here to discuss:

- Your favourite JRPGs

- Any JRPGs you're currently playing

- Any help, hints or cheats for games

- Help for getting Trophies (PS3) or Achievements (Xbox 360)

- Any recommendations

- Any inquiries as to future releases

Feel free to post pictures and videos - However please DO NOT SPAM

If any videos posted are potential story spoilers, please label them appropriately e.g. "Star Ocean: The Last Hope - Ending"
    Spoiler:
    Show
    "

I will update the Soc with a separate thread list of all the JRPGs played by Hylean and I, and if anyone else wants to add to the list, feel free to suggest one and I shall put it up or simply go in and add to it. This way people can find out about various JRPG as they wish and can see what people have thought of it and can see if they would like it.

So get into it, any and all kinds of JRPG are welcome for discussion and review.

Maintained By:
    Facticity
    Hylean
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    OO first comment here I guess :teeth:

I have been waiting for this, enough COD, I think a gaming soc like this is definitely required.

Time for some real game discussion. Love the OP pic as well, very nice. :yy:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Finally, I was looking for some new JRPG, if this gets good I think it would be very good.

I certainly would like to talk to some fans :yep:

Hopefully, it expands past Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts and Dragon Quest
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    RPGs are love. :love: Especially JRPGs.
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tenryubito)
    Finally, I was looking for some new JRPG, if this gets good I think it would be very good.

I certainly would like to talk to some fans :yep:

Hopefully, it expands past Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts and Dragon Quest
    Well, I shall update soon and publish a big list of JRPG's, consoles and how good they are :yep:

It will definitely extend beyond those three

(Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    My first JRPG was Sword of Mana. :love: And my most recent was Final Fantasy 13 - which was a while ago, unfortunately. Seems to be a drought at the moment.
    Sword of Mana :awesome: I remember that when I was just getting into JRPGs

(Original post by Hylean)
    RPGs are love. :love: Especially JRPGs.
    JRPG :heart:

I have promoted you now by the way
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ugh, it annoys me I don't have access to my gaming library. So many games I just can't remember right now. Ugh.
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    I know, I am currently trying to recall everything I have played, its not easy.
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    So as deputy, I guess I shall welcome everyone to this wonderful society as well. I am a huge fan of JRPGs and generally they are the style of game I prefer. I neither read nor speak Japanese so I won't be dealing with any imports or non-translated games, but what information I know of them, I'll be happy to provide. I have a huge catalogue and it's constantly growing, especially for the older games on the playstation and PS2.

Favourite series: Legend of Zelda
    Favourite game: Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask swiftly followed by Twilight Princess

I am actually going to be doing academic research on the Legend of Zelda games as a whole with the aim of having the article published and I have spend a good amount of time discussing the philosophy of the games and intricacies of the world created by Miyamoto.

What are your guys favourite series and games?

Have to say, though, I adore the Tales of... and Fire Emblem games. Such amazing characterisation and story-telling in both. Just makes my day.

I am a Nintendo fanboy, so I play a lot on their systems, especially N64 and afterwards, which is when I got into home-console gaming. Huge handheld gamer and have the PSP and DS, all main iterations of the Gameboy and will be geting the 3DS on its release.

I've tinkered with most JRPGs post N64/PSX era that have been translated and am always happy to help.

Oh and a question for you all, as I'm currently playing Mass Effect: where is the line between JRPG and Western RPG?
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    Very nicely done Deputy :yy:

Got to love the Fire Emblem series, they dominated a large part of my early gaming, Roy and Marth in SuperSmashBro's were among my favourite.

Mass Effect is western I am sure, but I guess as you're implying it has heavy JRPG influences in it.
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Facticity)
    Mass Effect is western I am sure, but I guess as you're implying it has heavy JRPG influences in it.
    Not so much. Just where is the line? Mass Effect is held to be Western, but why? The only thing that really sets it apart is the slightly more open story and the art style. Are the difference between the two solely down to the fact you've slightly more influence on the story in a Western RPG or is it solely art style? Just an a thought that popped into my head. Now trying to think of JRPGs where you have a similar effect. Suikoden: Tierkreis has multiple endings; not so many variables as found in Mass Effect, but even it's held to be at the forefront of such styles of games.
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:

Just got some news on a one off JRPG which was released in 2001 in Europe, called Legend of Dragoon. I loved this game a lot and certainly it is a unique game. Anyway, there has been loads of fan talk over a sequel and a remake for PS3. From what I understand, it is not happening.

This game has become a huge collectors item, being sold for £100 for the PAL version, which is amazing for a PS1 game. But if you don't want to fork out between £50-£100 for a copy as I, you will be pleased to know a re-touched version has been uploaded to PSN for download.

However! There has been a re-release only on Japanese PSN for a few hundred yen (which is a few pounds). So I don't think you will be able to download it, however, hopefully it will soon be released here in Europe with America.
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not so much. Just where is the line? Mass Effect is held to be Western, but why? The only thing that really sets it apart is the slightly more open story and the art style. Are the difference between the two solely down to the fact you've slightly more influence on the story in a Western RPG or is it solely art style? Just an a thought that popped into my head. Now trying to think of JRPGs where you have a similar effect. Suikoden: Tierkreis has multiple endings; not so many variables as found in Mass Effect, but even it's held to be at the forefront of such styles of games.
    Hmm, an interesting thought. But I guess I would distinguish western RPG and JRPG due to the difference in art style, the feel of the environment. A fantasy PRG is very different to a fantasy JRPG. This is due to things like character design, environment design, the kind of JRPG must haves (that charismatic protagonist, the elemental features, the relationships) a lot of western RPGs do not have these. You can't compare say Fallout with Bayonetta, they are very different. I think there are numerous factors that distinguish the two.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

An RPG is a JRPG when it's not actually an RPG, it's an action adventure game with stats.
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FyreFight)
    An RPG is a JRPG when it's not actually an RPG, it's an action adventure game with stats.
    Well that is not true though is it? Because all western RPGs have stats and most are filled with action and there is most definitely adventure. Most RPGs fall into the Action Adventure category. Furthermore, I'm not sure what you mean it isn't an RPG, considering RPG simply stands for Role Player Game.

So I am not sure what you mean :mute:
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FyreFight)
    And why is not a true RPG?
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    :gah:
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liquidus Zeromus)
    :gah:
    I know right
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Shadow of the Colossus anyone? :coma:

Can't wait for this to be released in HD for PS3.
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FinalFlash)

Never played it, it looks interesting, quite accuracy based.

Reminds me oddly of Zela taking on big foes :teehee:

Is it being remade onto PS3?
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FinalFlash)

Heard of it, not played it. :beard:

I'm somewhere on Pokemon SoulSilver at the moment, as well as half-way through Final Fantasy XIII :yep:

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 31, 2014
New on TSR

Rice cooker in your uni halls?

Would you bring a rice cooker to uni?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.