Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

It is much better to use controllers for steam games

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I got dark souls in the steam winter sale, and when i started playing it earlier today i realised my hand can't stay put on WASD and reach over for L at the same time. So i downloaded motioninjoy and now use my ps3 controller. Best. Decision. Ever.

I RECOMMEND EVERYONE DO THIS.

Over, and out.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    That's because Dark souls is just a really ****ty unoptimized port. Keyboard and mouse is still superior for most games especially FPS.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Dark souls is an excellent example of a controller optimised game. There are many there in this category (thinking psychonauts final level might be impossible using a keyboard!) but others are better with a keyboard and mouse, if you have a fair gaming mouse. By which I mean, not my ****ty USB £3 mouse
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qymberley)
    I got dark souls in the steam winter sale, and when i started playing it earlier today i realised my hand can't stay put on WASD and reach over for L at the same time. So i downloaded motioninjoy and now use my ps3 controller. Best. Decision. Ever.

I RECOMMEND EVERYONE DO THIS.

Over, and out.
    Dark souls was a terrible port it really should be played with a pad. Basically some games work better with a pad, some better with mouse + keyboard. There is not one fits all approach.

Also a 360 pc controller is the easiest to use as most games have that as the default pad option.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Dark souls was a terrible port it really should be played with a pad. Basically some games work better with a pad, some better with mouse + keyboard. There is not one fits all approach.

Also a 360 pc controller is the easiest to use as most games have that as the default pad option.
    I agree, i'm a big mmorpg player, and would never want a controller for any of them (WoW). And like Skyrim - not the best on ps3 tbh and wish i got it on PC instead. I got excited that i couldn't use my keyboard for once :P
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I agree, i'm a big mmorpg player, and would never want a controller for any of them (WoW). And like Skyrim - not the best on ps3 tbh and wish i got it on PC instead. I got excited that i couldn't use my keyboard for once :P
    The great thing about the pc is that you can use all kinds of different input methods
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    The great thing about the pc is that you can use all kinds of different input methods
    indeed! I'm sure it's also probably the most powerful gaming system money can buy
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    indeed! I'm sure it's also probably the most powerful gaming system money can buy
    We're the pc master race
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kidomo)
    We're the pc master race
    KIDOMO are you following me by any chance?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You can't use a controller for football manager or dawn of war.

If I want to use a controller I'll just turn one of my consoles on,
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    KIDOMO are you following me by any chance?
    Haha No, why? Your thread popped up on the main page:lol:
    Purely coincidence.

I see you're a devout steam user?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    What server you on? If you're a healer .. :lol:

Yeah Keyboard and a Logitech G600 is what I do. Makes a massive difference in Arena.

I use the Xbox controller on the PC for anything without competitive online, Kingdoms of Amalur or L4D being the most recent games.
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    At the same time.

I played GTA San Andreas on PC. Used keyboard and mouse for running and shooting and an Xbox pad for driving and flying. Worked brilliantly for me.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by So Instinct)
    What server you on? If you're a healer .. :lol:

Yeah Keyboard and a Logitech G600 is what I do. Makes a massive difference in Arena.

I use the Xbox controller on the PC for anything without competitive online, Kingdoms of Amalur or L4D being the most recent games.
    I stopped since mists of pandaria came out it's really gone downhill imo. And nope, I mained death knight with a few others on the side for when my guild needed a tank or whatever. I actually stopped since we got into a massive argument and disbanded >.<
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kidomo)
    Haha No, why? Your thread popped up on the main page:lol:
    Purely coincidence.

I see you're a devout steam user?
    Just seen you around a lot recently i wouldn't say devout but I am getting there! Add me if you want, user is Qymberley
    • 43 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why are all Steam games getting lumped together here? :lolwut:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Why are all Steam games getting lumped together here? :lolwut:
    Exactly there are plenty of games that you have to launch through steam that would be unplayable on a controller.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scumbaggio)
    Exactly there are plenty of games that you have to launch through steam that would be unplayable on a controller.
    Yeah, try playing a TW game with a controller!

I'm looking forward to seeing what the steam pad will offer though.
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    No thanks. Keyboard and mouse every time, especially with FPS. If you need aim assist thats fine but most of us are fine with keyboard and mouse.

:cool:
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    I can't even imagine playing TES or Fallout games with a controller.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: April 3, 2014
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.