The Student Room Group

M1 or S1??

Which subject is easier to study for from now until summer? Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
M1 all the way. S1 is annoying. Its easier to understand and learn, but harder to get marks on. M1 is better if you know what you're doing.
Reply 2
I found them both quite easy, but M1 is slightly easier. I preferred M1 and S1 to the core subjects.
I have only done S1 and I can say its pretty easy.
S1 has easier content (that seems to be the general consensus amongst maths students) but the work is quite tedious and to get marks in the exam you need to do every single little thing perfectly.

M1 can be quite difficult to grasp at first but once it clicks it's really quite easy and a lot of it is applying logic.

M1 depends more on your logical understanding of mechanics where as S1 is more about learning and remembering definitions and methods word for word...which if you forget in an exam will leave you clueless.
If you also take physics, probably M1?
S1 is just utter BS. M1 actually makes sense. Just a little logic is all thats needed.
Reply 7
Do S1
Reply 8
My S1 test two days ago was bloody hard while M1 was do able. So M1 all the way. They know how to mess you up in S1, it's so tedious as well.
Reply 9
M1.
It's way easier to get a high score in.
Stats 1 is full of dodgy explanation questions and getting 100% on it is pretty much unheard of, whereas quite a lot of people seem to get 95 - 100 on M1.
Reply 10
M1. So much easier to understand. It actually makes sense, unlike S1, which I struggled with (admittedly because I couldn't be bothered to learn it). Got a B in S1, which I was over the moon with; will be disappointed if I get below 90 on M1. M1 all the way.
Reply 11
Original post by Yosaron
M1.
It's way easier to get a high score in.
Stats 1 is full of dodgy explanation questions and getting 100% on it is pretty much unheard of, whereas quite a lot of people seem to get 95 - 100 on M1.

You're right. Though nowadays they've made S1 harder so grade boundaries are lower. But yeah 100 is easy in M1 provided you don't make stupid mistakes and you understand everything.
Reply 12
Ok...I agree with some people I've looked at s1 and it looks tedious...And I hate probability if that helps:smile:
Reply 13
Thanks guys I will do M1 then:smile:
Reply 14
Original post by TobeTheHero
Ok...I agree with some people I've looked at s1 and it looks tedious...And I hate probability if that helps:smile:

Probability is a bitch. It's so hard to understand. That's the only hard bit about S1 but it's like a third of the exam.
Reply 15
Original post by bramz19
M1. So much easier to understand. It actually makes sense, unlike S1, which I struggled with (admittedly because I couldn't be bothered to learn it). Got a B in S1, which I was over the moon with; will be disappointed if I get below 90 on M1. M1 all the way.

You sound just like me lol. plus with M1 it's easier to know how you've done.
Reply 16
By a long way M1 - S1 is just a series of disconnected, tedious methods that are fairly difficult to grasp and bland to learn. M1 is easier and even enjoyable at times (not the exam though, obviously).
Original post by eatyoursouls
If you also take physics, probably M1?

^ This
Reply 18
Original post by jam277
My S1 test two days ago was bloody hard while M1 was do able. So M1 all the way. They know how to mess you up in S1, it's so tedious as well.

I done the S1 exam on friday as well and I also found it to be probably the most difficult paper I've done out of all its past papers from 2005-10. But they can be just as cruel in M1. I remember in 2009 when both its papers were ridiculously difficult compared to previous ones.
Reply 19
Original post by tory88
By a long way M1 - S1 is just a series of disconnected, tedious methods that are fairly difficult to grasp and bland to learn. M1 is easier and even enjoyable at times (not the exam though, obviously).

I had fun in my exam. Started rocking on my chair and tossing my pen in the air.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending