The Student Room Group

Need help with all things Journalism?

Scroll to see replies

Anyone else apply for the Telegraph Graduate Scheme? I'm holding absolutely no hope but, well, got to apply for everything!
Hey all.

My name's James and I'm a journalist. I currently write a blog called 'This Is Entertainment' (http://jamesmparry.wordpress.com) and I'm looking for some people interested in doing some writing about entertainment (music, games, films, cyberculture) to contribute to the site. Currently I'm getting around 20 views a day from various things, in the past I've had posts about things like a review of Inception - which was popular enough to be posted on Wordpress' home page for two days - an interview with Mark Meer - otherwise known as Commander Shepard from Mass Effect - as well as an interview with John C McGinley - Dr Cox from the american medical comedy [Scrubs].

Unfortunately I'm not in a position to pay but I would give anyone who helps out full kudos for all their own writing as well as any opportunities which come up throughout the year.

If you are interested, take a look at the site and see what it's all about and then get in touch with me either by email: [email protected] through TSR or other contact info which is in my signiture.

I look forward to hearing from you.
If anyone is looking for a online music magazine to get some work that could possibly be included in a portfolio, or just because you fancy doing some writing about bands/music, check out www.resonanceuk.com. They offer passes to gigs, pre-releases and a whole lot more if you're willing to write for them! You can review what you want on a first come first served basis. I've been writing for them for a few months now, and definitely recommend it :smile:

If you fancy applying, then click HERE.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Aky786UK
Hi all.

At the moment, I'm jobless after a spell in PR which didn't go according to plan so I've now made a decision to reworking on my journalism. I'm a 2009 graduate and feel that alongside writing on my blog that I need to boost my journalism qualifications up abit.

Now, I know there's the NCTJ chance but out of interest, are there any part time or home study courses that one could do on journalism law, ethics etc.

I know there probably isn't but I thought I'd see if anyone can help.

Cheers.

:smile:

I came this course in an online ad: http://www.britishcollegeofjournalism.com/

I haven't tried it myself, but I have been considering it. It does look like it mainly specifically for freelance work, whether that appeals to you or not.

Original post by WolfishSmile
If anyone is looking for a online music magazine to get some work that could possibly be included in a portfolio, or just because you fancy doing some writing about bands/music, check out www.resonanceuk.com. They offer passes to gigs, pre-releases and a whole lot more if you're willing to write for them! You can review what you want on a first come first served basis. I've been writing for them for a few months now, and definitely recommend it :smile:

If you fancy applying, then click HERE.

Thanks a lot for posting this opportunity :thumbsup:

BTW, that second link doesn't seem to be working.
(edited 13 years ago)
Hello :smile:

I am considering beginning an NCTJ course (I'm an English graduate). I was accepted onto the course, but as the cost of the course is so high and the potential for jobs is so low, I'm a little worried. Journalism is my passion, but if I have to admit defeat and look elsewhere, is the NCTJ considered a good qualification for any other careers in the meantime? I was thinking maybe PR, something like that?

Also when contacting companies about work experience, I presume it is the editor that I want to write to? I'm suddenly paranoid I'm getting that wrong, haha.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by wordsearch
Hello :smile:

I am considering beginning an NCTJ course (I'm an English graduate). I was accepted onto the course, but as the cost of the course is so high and the potential for jobs is so low, I'm a little worried. Journalism is my passion, but if I have to admit defeat and look elsewhere, is the NCTJ considered a good qualification for any other careers in the meantime? I was thinking maybe PR, something like that?

Also when contacting companies about work experience, I presume it is the editor that I want to write to? I'm suddenly paranoid I'm getting that wrong, haha.

Yes to the second question.

On the first, if you're really that passionate about journalism then go for it. I finished my NCTJ in June 2009 and most of my college friends managed to get a job either as a reporter or in a PR-related role. And there definitely seems to be more jobs around now than there were when I was searching.
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
I came this course in an online ad: http://www.britishcollegeofjournalism.com/

I haven't tried it myself, but I have been considering it. It does look like it mainly specifically for freelance work, whether that appeals to you or not.

Thanks a lot for posting this opportunity :thumbsup:

BTW, that second link doesn't seem to be working.

Here it is again... Does that work for you?

Application Form
(edited 13 years ago)
Hi

At the moment, I'm volunteering for a friend of mine and I'm working as a PR/Marketing guy for her organisation.

I'm trying to compile a media list of the local press, TV and radio but I'm struggling to find a definitive list for all three in the area.

I know of Cision, which is a paid service but any website that might help?

Thank you.

:smile:
Original post by haz220807
Yes to the second question.

On the first, if you're really that passionate about journalism then go for it. I finished my NCTJ in June 2009 and most of my college friends managed to get a job either as a reporter or in a PR-related role. And there definitely seems to be more jobs around now than there were when I was searching.

When going head-to-head an employer will always go with the NCTJ qualified journalist than non. However I know of many writers who have no such qualificationas at all but got their job though experience. It is a difficult one as we are essentially being told two contrasting pieces of advice.

NCTJ's won't do you any harm but try and combine it with some rlevant work experience to complete your CV (easier said than done I know!)
Original post by bsforrester80
When going head-to-head an employer will always go with the NCTJ qualified journalist than non. However I know of many writers who have no such qualificationas at all but got their job though experience. It is a difficult one as we are essentially being told two contrasting pieces of advice.

NCTJ's won't do you any harm but try and combine it with some rlevant work experience to complete your CV (easier said than done I know!)

Yes meant to say in my original post about getting work experience too. Be persistent, keep going, try and get as much work exp as possible alongside the NCTJ to bulk up the 'qualifications' and 'experience' parts of your CV.
Anyone know of any online amateur-ish publishing sites that I might be able to get some experience on if I send them my stuff? Anything will do, just want some experience while I'm not busy.
Any particular subject or literally anything?
Greatly appreciated. So glad you took the time to do this
Does anyone have any experience with any of the distance learning courses?

I was considering taking a distance course (probably London School of Journalism as theirs seems to match my interests the best) followed by the NCTJ exams. The NCTJ's own distance learning course seems to be a bit of a rip off to be honest and I'm not sure if it really has any benefits over the others.

Anyone have any experience of this? Does it really make a difference where or how you did it so long as you have some work experience and an NCTJ qualification at the end of it?
Original post by joni_richardson

Original post by joni_richardson
Anyone know of any online amateur-ish publishing sites that I might be able to get some experience on if I send them my stuff? Anything will do, just want some experience while I'm not busy.

This is a great site if you're based in London - http://www.mouthlondon.com/
They are mostly based online but also print a magazine quarterly.
Original post by wordsearch
Does anyone have any experience with any of the distance learning courses?

I was considering taking a distance course (probably London School of Journalism as theirs seems to match my interests the best) followed by the NCTJ exams. The NCTJ's own distance learning course seems to be a bit of a rip off to be honest and I'm not sure if it really has any benefits over the others.

Anyone have any experience of this? Does it really make a difference where or how you did it so long as you have some work experience and an NCTJ qualification at the end of it?

On my final year placement, at a regional paper in the North East, all of the staff made a really clear point to me that NCTJ's are the absolute pinnacle of what is needed today, forget degrees, in fact many of the journalists at the paper had studied something completely different or not even gone to uni in the first place.

NCTJ's are quite hard, I have got them all bar the timed news writing paper and the shorthand 100wpm. Shorthand is absolutely essential in journalism, I will have to retake mine as a graduate soon.

In my experience, it doesn't matter where you learn your trade, just - like you said - whether you have enough published material and are trained in NCTJ qualifications.
Thank you for sharing this advice. It's really useful!
If you have unique career advice to share with graduate job seekers, we want to help you get it out there to share with them. We invite you to submit your best and most unique content to GRB today!

Submission Guidelines

> Articles should be sent by email as an attachment to [email protected]. Microsoft Word documents are required.

> Write "GRB Article Submission" in your email's subject line.

> Articles generally should be between 500 and 1500 words. Special exceptions will be considered.

> Indicate your article's topic category. Articles should fall into one of the following topic categories: career search, CVs, cover letters, interviews, personal branding, networking, career book reviews, social media, job boards, job search tools, career fairs and events and job market news. If your article does not fall into one of these categories, indicate "other".

> Provide a statement guaranteeing that the article has not been published or submitted elsewhere.

> Include a professional bio of 250 words with a personal photo.

> Receipt and/or acceptance of article submissions will be acknowledged by email.
Reply 438
If i write for an online magazine or such will I be able to put it on my uni personal statement?
If it is relevant then sure...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending