The Student Room Group

Tottenham Hotspur Society II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Good bloke
Given that AVB wanted Modric for Chelsea last season, I would hope he hangs on to him and a replacement won't be needed.

I've read up that Modric has directly said that he wants CL football next season and he won't get that with Spurs. I thought it was a foregone conclusion that he was on his way out (to Madrid?).
Original post by Darth Vader 7
I've read up that Modric has directly said that he wants CL football next season and he won't get that with Spurs. I thought it was a foregone conclusion that he was on his way out (to Madrid?).

I think Levy is of the view that Modric is contracted to Spurs for several years and isn't entitled to (and is unable to) force a transfer. I tend to agree with him.
I think Levy is of the view that Modric is contracted to Spurs for several years and isn't entitled to (and is unable to) force a transfer. I tend to agree with him.

That's what happens with any transfer. People should honour their contracts but rarely do we see that happen nowadays.

Would you still keep a player that's unhappy? A player that won't give 100%?

If you can get £40 million for him, why wouldn't you? Especially when there are players just as good imo for cheaper (i.e Moutinho).
Original post by Darth Vader 7
That's what happens with any transfer. People should honour their contracts but rarely do we see that happen nowadays.

Would you still keep a player that's unhappy? A player that won't give 100%?

If you can get £40 million for him, why wouldn't you? Especially when there are players just as good imo for cheaper (i.e Moutinho).

Then again, clubs offer contracts to protect their asset, and some cases to provide fans with some [false] hope that the player will stay - look at Ronaldo at Utd, new deal and a year later signs for Madrid. Same for Henry and Barca.

Levy doesn't care about players being unhappy, as he proved last summer. And he's loathe to sell Luka to a PL team.
Short Article on Villas Boas -More along the lines of his history and Porto days.

For anyone interested ^ :smile: Didn't touch too much on his Chelsea days as they've all been well documented.
Indeed, players running down their contracts is a worrying thing, because then they can go where they want for nothing. Of course Modrić may not nearly be as good as he is in what, four years time.. but who's taking that risk?

Nobody in particular in mind there :colonhash:
In part I wonder if we should move back to days when clubs held players' registrations and therefore they could not sign for another club unless it was released.

Would stop all this nonsense of players throwing their weight around and wanting to move every other day. If there isn't any loyalty in the modern game, we should bring back the shackles.

:colonhash:
Original post by Zerforax
In part I wonder if we should move back to days when clubs held players' registrations and therefore they could not sign for another club unless it was released.

Eh? That is effectively the situation now. A contracted player cannot simply go off to play elsewhere without the sanction of the current club (i.e. a sale).
Eh? That is effectively the situation now. A contracted player cannot simply go off to play elsewhere without the sanction of the current club (i.e. a sale).

I've always found it odd that football players are bought and sold. I guess you can see the sale value as compensation for breach of contract but its still odd.
If team sports didn't have a system of registrations (and the potential sale of such registrations) it would be total chaos. One player could destroy a club's season if offered enough money to move by the opposition.
Gylfi signs :adore:
Original post by Colbert
Gylfi signs :adore:

I have too admit good signing, I wonder where that leaves Liverpool.
Original post by Kruz
I have too admit good signing, I wonder where that leaves Liverpool.

In the mire hopefully!
I do sometimes wonder how many midfielders and how few top quality strikers we need. Are we planning to play in a 4-6-0 formation next season, like Spain?
Friedel is 7 years older than AVB. :mmm:
Original post by rockrunride
In the mire hopefully!

It's funny how my Liverpool supporting mates were dick riding him, couple of weeks ago, now they're saying he's average lolololol deluded scousers.
Original post by I Kant Spall
Friedel is 7 years older than AVB. :mmm:

I don't see the relevance. Goalkeepers generally play at the top level for longer than outfield players. Alex Feguson was 32 when he took his first managerial job and 43 when he won his first European silverware with Aberdeen. AVB was 33 when he won his first European tournament. He didn't spend time as a player so came in to management earlier than most others.
Great signing for you guys, I feel he'll fit in your team well, especially with AVB's play style. Love some of the Liverpool fans calling him a mercenary, even though Spurs finished 17 points clear of them... If you were offered to go to a better club and higher wages you'd be an idiot not to take it up.
Reply 2018
Some good positive stuff coming out of Tottenham these last few days, but I think we have to be careful not to get ahead of ourselves. AVB is a risk, there is no doubt about that, his Chelsea experience will be in the minds of Tottenham players. The potential is there, I just hope he can deliver as he did for Porto. Roy Keane compared him to Brian Clough, after his experience at Leeds, alienating players, before going on to huge success at a less 'traditionally' successful club in Forest. Anything close to that and I will be happy.

On the subject of transfers, I am strongly of the belief this is the right time to sell Modric. He is soon to turn 27, and for £40m as others have suggested, we can definitely find a high quality replacement. BUT we cannot afford another Berbatov situation, we need to sell early or risk big problems.

Vertonghen would be a great addition. Kaboul came on leaps and bounds last season and I see these two as a potentially forceful partnership. The issue of a striker (or 2) needs to be addressed, I don't know much about Remy & whether he would be suited to the premier league?
Good thing getting in AVB. Just get a striker ffs.

Quick Reply

Latest