The Student Room Group

Tottenham Hotspur Society II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rockrunride
Personally my last game at the Lane today. Emotional.

We were absolutely fantastic. Back line absolutely impenetrable. Wanyama made it look like Dembélé's absence didn't matter.

To think Özil cost >£40m and Dele £5m...

I still find it amazing we get referred to as delusional spurs fans for saying Alli > Pogba (still can't believe he couldn't score that header). Really good performance today, without Cech and Alli and Eriksen missing sitters it would have been 5-0 at least today

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4821
Terrible for you guys that next year you'll be moving stadium, couldn't have come at a worst time. IMO it will kill your ambitions a bit next year, might even make it hard to fight for top 4, as preposterous as that sounds when for two years in a row you've been the second best team in England.

And if you win nothing next year, do you think Dele Alli & Kane will look elsewhere? I know you wont sell to a rival (barring perhaps astronomical bids from City/Utd) and English players don't usually move abroad... So I have no idea really what will happen, other than that at some point a big shirt storm is coming your way tbh
Reply 4822
Original post by mhsc
Terrible for you guys that next year you'll be moving stadium, couldn't have come at a worst time. IMO it will kill your ambitions a bit next year, might even make it hard to fight for top 4, as preposterous as that sounds when for two years in a row you've been the second best team in England.

And if you win nothing next year, do you think Dele Alli & Kane will look elsewhere? I know you wont sell to a rival (barring perhaps astronomical bids from City/Utd) and English players don't usually move abroad... So I have no idea really what will happen, other than that at some point a big shirt storm is coming your way tbh

Bale did go to Madrid. I can see them going for Eriksen if Isco and James were to leave.
Reply 4823
Original post by bammy jastard 27
Bale did go to Madrid. I can see them going for Eriksen if Isco and James were to leave.

Yeah Bale is one of the few exceptions, but for the most part British people want to stay here to the point they wont even consider it unless the difference in salary is insane.

I imagine the fear of learning a second language is a part of it, most people here think its impossible to learn a second language after horrific teaching experiences in school.
How many English players have been technically good enough to be chased by the top clubs around Europe though?
Reply 4825
Original post by Zerforax
How many English players have been technically good enough to be chased by the top clubs around Europe though?

I'm sure there would be a bidding war from the majority of top clubs in the world for Alli & Kane if they were random French kids breaking records for Monaco tbh.

I think high wages & the fact most wont want to move + very high competition from English clubs (due to HG rule, British pride, whatever the :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent:) keep clubs from trying very much.

Owen, Beckham, Woodgate, Gerrard, Scholes, probably players like Terry/Cole/Lampard would have had interest too
Original post by mhsc
I'm sure there would be a bidding war from the majority of top clubs in the world for Alli & Kane if they were random French kids breaking records for Monaco tbh.

I think high wages & the fact most wont want to move + very high competition from English clubs (due to HG rule, British pride, whatever the :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent:) keep clubs from trying very much.

But that's because the French clubs can't generally afford to keep their best players and also pay way less in wages. There was a reason why all the best players used to play in Italy in the past (as they used to pay the most). It's just been a shift of power in recent years. The number of top quality English players has reduced (compare current England squads to the past) and it's made it even less likely.

Original post by That Bearded Man
Owen, Beckham, Woodgate, Gerrard, Scholes, probably players like Terry/Cole/Lampard would have had interest too

Yes but Owen, Beckham, Mcmanaman etc did actually move abroad proving they were the few seen as technically good enough to move. Yes there are a handful more but they played for the biggest clubs in England. I think the fact you've had 3 to 6 big clubs in England compared to the duopoloy and monopoly in Spain/Germany means you see more players from weaker sides willing to move abroad for a big move?
Looks like Walker must be off this summer since Poch is barely playing him.

Where do people think he will end up? All of Man Utd, Man City and Chelsea will probably be interested..

Where do people think he will end up? All of Man Utd, Man City and Chelsea will probably be interested..

If he goes to Man Utd that says a lot about him, shows he has no desire to win anything.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Clearly City, crying out for English players, aging full backs and Zabaletas contract isn't being renewed.

50mill easy - then go for someone like Cedric or Simpson as back up to Trippier.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by That Bearded Man
Clearly City, crying out for English players, aging full backs and Zabaletas contract isn't being renewed.

50mill easy - then go for someone like Cedric or Simpson as back up to Trippier.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yea you're probably right. Sterling and Stones bought for huge money and then Delph otherwise I don't think they have any more first team English players?
Reply 4832
50m for Walker lmao. Maybe 15
Yea you're probably right. Sterling and Stones bought for huge money and then Delph otherwise I don't think they have any more first team English players?

Sterling and Stones were both quite a bit younger but we all know how stubborn Levy is, he'll set his price and won't really budge

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Underscore__
Sterling and Stones were both quite a bit younger but we all know how stubborn Levy is, he'll set his price and won't really budge

Posted from TSR Mobile

More that Man City are desperate for homegrown players such as paying £50mil for two youngsters. With Hart being shipped out, that's one less too.
More that Man City are desperate for homegrown players such as paying £50mil for two youngsters. With Hart being shipped out, that's one less too.

Surely Barkley would be right up City's alley then. Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
I actually feel really bad for Spurs. 86 points is usually enough to win the title.
Reply 4837
I actually feel really bad for Spurs. 86 points is usually enough to win the title.

Chelsea seem to always be able to win titles with high points totals(3 90+ seasons more than any other club, lowest title points return has been 86 points).

Bit annoyed we didn't break the record, think Mou knew we would so he decided to make sure United didn't lose that game unlike when he threw away games to Spurs and Arsenal. It's such a Mourinho style thing to do ffs.
(edited 6 years ago)
Always funny to see Arsenal celebrating a trophy that no one cares about, next they'll be regaling us with stories of their Emirates Cup victories

Posted from TSR Mobile
You wouldn't be saying that if Spurs had won the cup instead.

Quick Reply