The Student Room Group

Tottenham Hotspur Society II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jam277
I don't know why you guys complain about bassong either. Thought he was a good player in all honesty. You guys have been papering over the cracks since january onwards and had it not been for liverpool's crash and the AVB sacking around the time you guys would have been in the headlines for crashing.

The media would never highlight Tottenham crashing near as much as Chelsea or Arsenal.

They can't criticise Harry Redknapp now, who is to blame (at least partially). They brown-nosed him so much that they would look ridiculous to question his management. We all know he will be managing England in the summer and they can't ridicule good Ol' 'Arry before one of the biggest tournaments in Intenational football.

You guys would do well to get Rodgers, Low or something along those lines. Possibly AVB? He knows how to play the 'Tottenham' way better than the 'Chelsea' way, that's for sure.
Original post by Darth Vader 7
The media would never highlight Tottenham crashing near as much as Chelsea or Arsenal.

They can't criticise Harry Redknapp now, who is to blame (at least partially). They brown-nosed him so much that they would look ridiculous to question his management. We all know he will be managing England in the summer and they can't ridicule good Ol' 'Arry before one of the biggest tournaments in Intenational football.

You guys would do well to get Rodgers, Low or something along those lines. Possibly AVB? He knows how to play the 'Tottenham' way better than the 'Chelsea' way, that's for sure.

That's true, but I would say (from what I've seen) tottenham aren't a barcelona, they're not a possession retaining team or a tika taka/total football team, AVB does need a job though, would like to see him as the tottenham manager, at the very least he knows what a good transfer is and doesn't waste time with the 'arry wheeler dealing and gets the required players for a good price.

Tottenham play counter attacking football with a fast tempo and hit on the break/wings. Chelsea didn't do that under AVB and played slow possession retaining football similar to that team we beat two days ago. I see no reason why low would go to tottenham to improve his career unless he's bored of international management. Blanc might be possible since he might be leaving in the summer, if worst comes to worse they can get benitez? Didn't he have a counter attacking style at liverpool and he's got a better record than redknapp in terms of management, he's only had one poor season at liverpool, the rest he's been quality.

Original post by UniOfLife
We'd be a little better off if AVB hadn't been sacked actually since Chelsea were playing much worse under him than now. Although Newcastle would still have caught us I guess.

Yeah, football's a weird game. The media would still be pressuring him right now and we'll be challenging with liverpool for 8th place. :facepalm:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by jam277
That's true, but I would say (from what I've seen) tottenham aren't a barcelona, they're not a possession retaining team or a tika taka/total football team, AVB does need a job though, would like to see him as the tottenham manager, at the very least he knows what a good transfer is and doesn't waste time with the 'arry wheeler dealing and gets the required players for a good price.

Tottenham play counter attacking football with a fast tempo and hit on the break/wings. Chelsea didn't do that under AVB and played slow possession retaining football similar to that team we beat two days ago. I see no reason why low would go to tottenham to improve his career unless he's bored of international management. Blanc might be possible since he might be leaving in the summer, if worst comes to worse they can get benitez? Didn't he have a counter attacking style at liverpool and he's got a better record than redknapp in terms of management, he's only had one poor season at liverpool, the rest he's been quality.

They do play counter-attacking football but they do have the players that can play tika-taka football. Bale would be your Sanchez if you like. Modric your Xavi and so on. He would find it easier to adapt Tottenham to a passing team in comparison to Chelsea.
Original post by Darth Vader 7
They do play counter-attacking football but they do have the players that can play tika-taka football. Bale would be your Sanchez if you like. Modric your Xavi and so on. He would find it easier to adapt Tottenham to a passing team in comparison to Chelsea.

Here's the thing, barca have at least 3 playmakers(if not 4) and have a special striker who is all round in the passing game and finishing. Tottenham will be easier to adapt than rigid 'rich mans stoke' chelsea but tottenham will need more than just a conversion and change in tactics. They have one first team. no modric, no bale, no tika taka football. Take out modric, they're basically having the england team with no playmakers and literally no way of retaining possession, they can just break the opposition play and counter attack, otherwise known as the plan B. They need more players capable of retaining possession, a carrick player rather than a parker/sandro and a messi type player rather than a poacher. Add to that the tottenham players don't have the dribbling skills of barca they can't get in or out of sticky situations like they do.

Tottenham need more players or to suit a tika taka style but they don't have the money for it unless they can scout it arsene wenger style. Hence chelsea got mata, romeu and tried to get hulk and moutinho who suited AVB's style of play.
(edited 12 years ago)
Why can't we ever finish above Arsenal or in the top 4:frown: ? Do we really suck?
Original post by Xamanus
Why can't we ever finish above Arsenal or in the top 4:frown: ? Do we really suck?

Crumble culture. 2010 seems to be the exception.
Reply 1666
Original post by Xamanus

Don't troll. :colonhash:
Sports journalist Ben Pearce on Twitter at Tottenham press conference: "Redknapp responded at length to Corluka's view that Spurs' slump is down to lack of rotation and tiredness.

"Redknapp: 'Its a load of nonsense, it's an excuse. On average they've probably played about 30 games, which isn't a lot. I like Corluka, he's entitled to his opinion. He would have played if he'd been fit but he spent 3 months on the treatment table'"

Must be closer to 40 for most players?

Bit of a petulent comment about Corluka too..
Original post by Zerforax
Must be closer to 40 for most players?

Bit of a petulent comment about Corluka too..

Since I have far too much time, here's a somewhat useful graph of total minutes played by player only including Premier League games. Source is Yahoo sports:

MinutesPlayed.png

My reading is that United have had the best rotation and Tottenham have had the worst.
Seen on Twitter that Bale will want out if we don't get CL.

But hold your horses, the Wigan - Newcastle score is encouraging to say the least...
Reply 1670
It isn't just the players fault. It's Harry's too. He has to be partly blamed. Why send off Pienaar back to Everton when we would clearly be short of options if a winger were to be injured( In this case Lennon for the majority) He also just refuses to rotate his squad around. I don't understand what Giovani has done to not even get a run out this season. We've never had proper cover at left back either and all season I have been worried at the fact of who would have played had he got injured at one point( Thank god he hasn't) Rose is not a full back and is just an ordinary left winger who STILL has been living off that Arsenal goal.

But all in all, it has been one big crumble since that Newcastle game, and I seriously can't see why we've only managed around 6 points in the last 10 or 11.

Also, so that's now Modric, Adebayor and now Bale to go in the summer if we don't get fourth. Great.
(edited 11 years ago)
Absolutely definitely too many players have gone on loan. Bassong, Corluka, Pienaar, Townsend, Kane, Carroll.. all of whom we could have realistically used this year. Nelsen is good. But it was a ****ing nonsensical decision to sign him with Bassong.
Original post by rockrunride
Crumble culture. 2010 seems to be the exception.

It's a north london thing that's for sure.
Danny Rose is useless.
Original post by Tsunami2011
Danny Rose is useless.

said this a while back - just not good enough

walker free kick :dice:
Reply 1675
Anyone got a link to Walker free kick?
Reply 1676
Cba waiting for MOTD
Reply 1677

Stay classy, Spurs.
Reply 1678
If youre quick!

[video="youtube;sDsEB6xgnFc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDsEB6xgnFc[/video]

[video="youtube;RGLSgT7E4pU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGLSgT7E4pU[/video]

Albeit some guys cant hold a camera still.
(edited 11 years ago)
Made some gifs of the match

Quick Reply

Latest