The Student Room Group

Higher Computing course?!

Hi. I'm looking for some advice.
I'm currently taking Higher Computing, but I'm really scared about it!

My prelim is in like a month, and I know nothing! Our whole class knows nothing!
I think it is because of my teacher - she doesn't really teach - she just puts the basics up on the board, as a PowerPoint and skips through them, hardly giving us enough time to read them, followed by "Now you know it all."

I can't learn this way! I don't know anything now. It's getting to the point where I am actually terrified of the subject.
I've done the coursework task - and this is still to be marked, but it seemed to go okay, but its the theory.

I genuinely don't know what to do!

Please help! :confused: :frown: :eek:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
Get a good textbook and self-teach cos you'll have to do this a lot in the future.

That or whine to the PT.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Ask the teacher bits that you're stuck on or go ask others in same department. I also do Higher Computing and if you have any specific issues feel free to ask.
Reply 3
I have a similar issue with my teacher =/ and I still haven't done the coursework :/

The best thing to do is buy yourself a textbook and do it on your own. I find the Higher Computing Brightred textbook pretty good.

Good Luck :smile:
It's a painfully easy course, so just buy a textbook and as long as you don't spend the next four months playing call of duty and scratching your testicles you'll get an A.
Original post by Anon-123
Hi. I'm looking for some advice.
I'm currently taking Higher Computing, but I'm really scared about it!

My prelim is in like a month, and I know nothing! Our whole class knows nothing!
I think it is because of my teacher - he doesn't really teach - he just puts the pure basics up on the board, as a PowerPoint and skips through them, hardly giving us enough time to read them, followed by "Now you know it all."

I can't learn this way! I don't know anything now. It's getting to the point where I am actually terrified of the subject.
I've done the coursework task - and this is still to be marked, but it seemed to go okay, but its the theory.

I genuinely don't know what to do! Should I complain to my guidance teacher?

And because I'm studying 4 other Highers (Maths, English, Modern Studies and Chemistry), I'm really struggling to find time to try and teach myself the course!

Please help! :confused: :frown: :eek:

I feel the exact same and am actually taking all the same Highers as you bar Chemistry (I took Physics instead).

My teacher is pretty bad too and I'm just not sure if I should get a book or not because people always say that they 'never cover all of the course' or such likes.
Reply 6
Sorry, but I'm gonna have to agree with LL. Get a ****ing move on!

The subject is not difficult and there's absolutely no reason that in one month you shouldn't have the course learned back to front without help from the teacher!
Original post by Enzo-259
Sorry, but I'm gonna have to agree with LL. Get a ****ing move on!

The subject is not difficult and there's absolutely no reason that in one month you shouldn't have the course learned back to front without help from the teacher!

Spoiler

Reply 8
Original post by TheUnbeliever

Spoiler

Fine, I lied. It's an impossible course and you'll fail.

:smile:

Spoiler

Original post by Enzo-259

Spoiler

I didn't say it wasn't good advice.
Reply 10
Original post by TheUnbeliever

Spoiler

CALLING THE KETTLE BLACK WAAAAAAAAYYYYY

:getmecoat:
my bad... got the higher computing and information systems mixed up :P
(edited 13 years ago)