The Student Room Group

Imperial or Scottish Uni

I am sitting here faced with a tricky decision. I cannot decide whether Imperial College is worth it.

I have applied for Physics at Glasgow, Edinburgh, St Andrews, Imperial, and Natural Sciences at Cambridge. Cambridge rejected me, Glasgow have offered me an unconditional, Imperial have given me an offer for AAA this year in Advanced Higher Maths, Applied Maths: Mechanics and Physics. I've not heard back from the others yet, but I'm pretty sure I'll at least be offered conditionals by them.

I live in Glasgow and would rather move away, and I thought London would be the perfect place, but the cost compared to staying in scotland (free tuition fees) would be huge.

Yes, I am aware of the reputation Imperial has for sciences, but the League tables this year places both Glasgow and St. Andrews a few places higher than it for physics.

Also, I'm a pretty sociable guy. Although getting a good degree is most important to me, it's also very important to me that I will have a good time, not be too stressed, and be able to have a decent amount of recreational time to spend with friends, meet girls etc. From what I've heard, Imperial would be very tough, and I would not have much free time.

So basically, I want to know if Imperials reputation (compared to scottish universities) and graduate employability is worth the hard work, antisocial workload and money.

Thanks
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest