The Student Room Group

AQA M1 PM Wednesday 19th Jan 2011

Exam discussion for the M1 exam. How's the revision coming along? How well do you think you're going to do etc.

Good luck.

THIS IS NOT FOR EDEXCEL! Though their exam is on the same day don't be confused.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Not really looking forward to the Mechanics exam on Wednesday to be honest - been doing quite a few past papers and finding loads of types of questions we have barely covered :frown: I'm hoping to get an A, but at this rate I doubt I will.

Anyone else struggling, or do you think it's easy?
Reply 2
Original post by Azwozzle
Not really looking forward to the Mechanics exam on Wednesday to be honest - been doing quite a few past papers and finding loads of types of questions we have barely covered :frown: I'm hoping to get an A, but at this rate I doubt I will.

Anyone else struggling, or do you think it's easy?

Well, I covered the material a couple of weeks ago then started concentrating on other exams which went fine but now I'm trying to remember this and I'm having a bit of trouble :/ In theory it's piss easy but I've been busy.
Reply 3
Original post by alexs2602
Well, I covered the material a couple of weeks ago then started concentrating on other exams which went fine but now I'm trying to remember this and I'm having a bit of trouble :/ In theory it's piss easy but I've been busy.

I've only started revising again this weekend because I had an exam on Friday that took priority - but most of it's farily straightforward... apart from when it gets to the more difficult questions :s-smilie:

I think I find vectors the most confusing, but there was a question on a past paper I did yesterday that I didn't really understand - I know now how to answer the question but I don't know why; my teacher isn't the most helpful of people >___>
Reply 4
I've only started revising again this weekend because I had an exam on Friday that took priority - but most of it's farily straightforward... apart from when it gets to the more difficult questions :s-smilie:

I think I find vectors the most confusing, but there was a question on a past paper I did yesterday that I didn't really understand - I know now how to answer the question but I don't know why; my teacher isn't the most helpful of people >___>

I think tonight I'm going to go through the book again and a past paper or two.
Reply 5
I think tonight I'm going to go through the book again and a past paper or two.

Same, only got June 2009 left and I'm going through that now. What book have you got? I've got the Cambridge Mechanics 1 fo AQA, but it's not very good...
Reply 6
Same, only got June 2009 left and I'm going through that now. What book have you got? I've got the Cambridge Mechanics 1 fo AQA, but it's not very good...

I've got a crap one too; the Oxford one. I prefer the Heinemann books by a mile. I'm selfteaching this.
Reply 7
I've got a crap one too; the Oxford one. I prefer the Heinemann books by a mile. I'm selfteaching this.

Haha, same, they are much better books. I've been basically going over it this weekend trying to teach myself how to do it considering when I ask the teacher they are like "Oh you just do this" ... not explaining how or why XD

I hope the exam is easy enough to get an A in and they don't suddenly decide to trick us by putting in an odd question that's never come up before (like other exams I've done with AQA)
Reply 8
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Advanced-Maths-AQA-Mechanics-M1/dp/0199149380

Used this book :smile: pretty much self-taught myself all of it. I did a lot of M1 over the holidays, then I prepared my other exams afterwards so a lot of the content I forgot :colondollar:. Going over it again tonight, and doing a few past papers. Tomorrow is just gonna a whole day of past papers really :smile:.
Reply 9
Original post by Iepnauy
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Advanced-Maths-AQA-Mechanics-M1/dp/0199149380

Used this book :smile: pretty much self-taught myself all of it. I did a lot of M1 over the holidays, then I prepared my other exams afterwards so a lot of the content I forgot :colondollar:. Going over it again tonight, and doing a few past papers. Tomorrow is just gonna a whole day of past papers really :smile:.

That's the one I've got. What do you think of it? You've done pretty much the same as me.
Reply 10
That's the one I've got. What do you think of it? You've done pretty much the same as me.

I thought the textbook is reasonably good. I basically did every question apart from Chapter 1. And I can answer all exam questions apart from the wordy questions :frown: (which I probably should read chapter 1 for, but I really can't be bothered). I'm just hoping for some good questions that I can answer tomorrow :smile:. Hopefully no more than 2 marks are given to wordy questions :smile: I can usually get 1/2 marks but my english is awful, so my explanation sucks :smile:.

Are you prepared for the exam?
ive just been doing past papers and going through my book from school (the heignmann one). In the past papers ive been getting around the same as i did in C1 like 73 and 72 etc in the 70s mostly.

M1 isnt hard at all as it is fun and i practised it alot as we were being taught in class.

So yeah just going over stuff now and preparing for exams!

good luck everyone!! :biggrin:
Reply 12
Original post by Iepnauy
I thought the textbook is reasonably good. I basically did every question apart from Chapter 1. And I can answer all exam questions apart from the wordy questions :frown: (which I probably should read chapter 1 for, but I really can't be bothered). I'm just hoping for some good questions that I can answer tomorrow :smile:. Hopefully no more than 2 marks are given to wordy questions :smile: I can usually get 1/2 marks but my english is awful, so my explanation sucks :smile:.

Are you prepared for the exam?

I dunno, could have been better definitely. I've used the Heinemann books a lot on other units and found them really useful but I found this one really lacking in explanation. On a couple of occasions I had to work out what the book was trying to say which just shouldn't happen especially for those, like us, who are selfstudying it from scratch. Lol, doubt it'll be too many, not as many as stats. All you need to do is say things like "the string is light and inextensible" I think.

Dunno yet. We'll see; I'll read the book tonight going through at least chapters 4, 5 and 6 and possibly 3 and do some papers too. I'll have a look through past papers for where I can gain marks etc. Is M1 the only exam you got that day?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 13
Has everyone else done other exams in maths? M1 is my first one - don't have C1 until May. What is stats like? Is it anythin like GCSE?
Reply 14

Anyone good at connected particles? This book isnt all that helpful
Reply 15
Anyone good at connected particles? This book isnt all that helpful

I'm fairly good at those questions - what did you want to know? :smile:
Reply 16
I dunno, could have been better definitely. I've used the Heinemann books a lot on other units and found them really useful but I found this one really lacking in explanation. On a couple of occasions I had to work out what the book was trying to say which just shouldn't happen especially for those, like us, who are selfstudying it from scratch. Lol, doubt it'll be too many, not as many as stats. All you need to do is say things like "the string is light and inextensible" I think.

Dunno yet. We'll see; I'll read the book tonight going through at least chapters 4, 5 and 6 and possibly 3 and do some papers too. I'll have a look through past papers for where I can gain marks etc. Is M1 the only exam you got that day?

Yep. Only one tomorrow :smile: and last one :biggrin:. I'm just making silly mistakes now, just hoping to correct the lil mistakes so I can get a high UMS. I really need it to make up for my C2 failure :rolleyes:
Reply 17
Anyone got the June 2010 paper? Can't find it anywhere :'(
Reply 18
Original post by Ollie901
Anyone got the June 2010 paper? Can't find it anywhere :'(

No, I can't find it anywhere either - every time I click on one, it is June 2009 instead :frown: I don't think they are allowed to release them yet though...
I cant wait for this exam

I love M1

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending