Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Transport for London (TfL) Graduate Scheme 2010/2011

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone.

I was wondering if anybody else has applied for any of the TfL Grad Schemes and your experiences of it so far. I'm applying for Surface Transport and am waiting to hear if I have made it through to the assessment centre after my telephone interview.

Cheers!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Didn't even get to interview stage - TFL said my degree didn't meet those listed when it is clearly a social science. 2 other people I know have had same problem - if their HR don't know which degrees subjects are which then no hope!!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I applied for the Transport Planning and Modelling scheme but didn't get past the Application stage.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ah really! I wonder if there's more people going for it this year maybe. Green alligator did you have a telephone interview?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well, I heard that they closed the scheme early so I guess they did get lots of applicants. I'm waiting to hear if I've got an assessment centre place too. Hopefully we will hear soon. Any idea when the assessment centre date would be?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by floydy)
    Ah really! I wonder if there's more people going for it this year maybe. Green alligator did you have a telephone interview?
    No, I got a straight rejection - so that is when I contacted them about the reasons as I thought my degree was perfect for transport modelling.
    It was then I was told the rejection was purely because I was not studying one of the specified degrees despite it being a maths/social science which is clearly on their list!!!
    Berty_g did you find out why you were rejected at application stage?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greenalligator)
    No, I got a straight rejection - so that is when I contacted them about the reasons as I thought my degree was perfect for transport modelling.
    It was then I was told the rejection was purely because I was not studying one of the specified degrees despite it being a maths/social science which is clearly on their list!!!
    Berty_g did you find out why you were rejected at application stage?
    They said it was because of my answers to their competency questions. I expect others have better examples to use than I have. My friend was told the same reason when he applied.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    So Floydy, do you know when we are going to hear about the assessment centre?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mango48)
    So Floydy, do you know when we are going to hear about the assessment centre?
    I have absolutely no idea! I had my telephone interview in the first week of December and when I asked when we could expect to hear she said the first couple of weeks of January. Hopefully it'll be this week seeing as we're approaching February now! Then again she did say that we would hear either way whether we've got through to the assessment centre or not, so I guess no news is good news!

She said on the phone that the provisional date for the Transport Planning scheme is the Thursday 17th of February (my birthday ... better than the day after my birthday though right? Can still go out and celebrate!) but she said that was just a rough date. How did your telephone interview go?

Cheers!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well I was told that I would hear "after the 4th January" which of course it has been for some considerable time.

I think my telephone interview went reasonably well. Certainly two of the three questions seemed to be OK. The other one needed the interviewer to ask me to clarify more things so I hope that one was alright too.

It's getting more painful waiting though. I do know that the scheme closed on 22nd Dec (somewhat earlier than originally planned) so I imagine that they must have to get everyone to the same stage (having had the telephone interview) before they select who's going to the assessment centre. So given that you have five days to do the online test x 3 and then add sorting out the date for the telephone interview individually you can see why it takes the time.

February is getting nearer though.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Still no news for me :confused:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Took my courage in both hand and I rang them at the end of last week. They said that I would hear "soon".
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    both "hands" not "hand". Doh!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wow. They're definitely not rushing this thing are they. It's not even like it's snowing or anything.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    In fact, you inspired me to take my courage in both hands and I emailed them! They emailed back saying they had just finished all the telephone interviews and would be able to advise me on my position in the next couple of weeks.

I guess this rules out a February assessment centre then. I find how long it takes to process each stage quite unhelpful because graduates pursue so many things in a year that having to hold on for one particular opportunity means you might miss out on others, and that's not even with a guarantee you'll get the job you want. Ooooooh well.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've got a reserve place at the assessment centre. Basically if anyone drops out at this stage which clearly isn't going to happen.

Ah well.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I still haven't heard so you are better off than me. However, I have got an interview on Monday for something else but it's not in London where I would really prefer to work.

Oh well.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    On the other hand, I see you are for Transport Planning and I'm for Civil Engineering so I guess there's still a little hope in that maybe not all the different kinds of people are assessed together?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi Mango48,
    I'm going for the civil engineering grad programme too. I haven't heard and emailed them last week asking what was happening. They said they only finished doing the interviews last week and will have an answer soon so hopefully the civil eng AC is later. I'd be gutted if I didnt get it
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm v keen too. Thought I would have heard by now but thanks for the info. I don't want to drive them too mad by phoning all the time.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: February 5, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Public Sector Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.