Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

airline pilot.. help

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    hello, i will soon be choosing my options for my gcse's, my ambition is to be a pilot. but i dont know how to start of my learning to get the levels and gcse's you need

please could someone advice me in what to do.
    picking my options
    college
    universaty
    pilot school
    ?? help

ive got good grades in
    maths set 1
    science set 1
    english set 2
    good at dt and art

thanks
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callum_whitworth)
    hello, i will soon be choosing my options for my gcse's, my ambition is to be a pilot. but i dont know how to start of my learning to get the levels and gcse's you need

picking my options
    college
    universaty
    pilot school
    ?? help

ive got good grades in
    maths set 1
    science set 1
    english set 2
    good at dt and art

thanks
    OK mate, Im learning the private way, which I believe is the best option without going into the RAF

Pilots require Top grades in Physics and Maths at A-level, so I'd recommend picking Maths and physics...any other possible choices could be further maths, a science based subject or Geography

Believe it or not, you don't have to go to uni to become a pilot, if you can gain you PPL (private pilots licence) and prove to airlines that you are a viable candidate for a pilot, you can gain scholarships into their cadet schemes where they pay for you CPL (commercial pilots licence), or alternatively you can also do this privately

Average costs for licences
    PPL - around 6-7k
    CPL in excess of £30,000
    ATPL (airlines transport pilots licence) - very expensive, you will gain this once you begin working for an airline and become an experiences PIC (pilot in command)

Google BALPA which is a great source for info on how to become a pilot

Good Luck
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    does your school offer the option of gcse statistics - not all do, but I have heard this is good for becoming a pilot (went to school whoose catchment area included an RAF base). Apart from that, maybe try ad stick to the traditional subjects: a language, geography, history etc. In terms of practical options, does your school offer mechanics/electronics type subjects? Also depends how many GCSEs your school lets you take.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    thanks vicsta is there a definate that you will get the job after paying all that money and completing the schooling

wich options and everything else could you recommend for me?

callum
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    thanks vicsta is there a definate that you will get the job after paying all that money and completing the schooling

wich options and everything else could you recommend for me?

callum
    I can categorically say NO, there is No guarantee than you will get a job which is why i'd recommend going down the scholarship route for a CPL. Commercial pilot careers are one of the most sought after, and with jets getting bigger and more technologically efficient, the demand for pilots falls, whereas the supply has increased dramatically over the past few years....therefore competition is fierce and there is no guarantee for a job

You're going to have to gain your PPL by yourself, for this your have 3 choices
    Private - costs alot but you are free to do what you want
    RAF/Army - Free to gain but will require you to payback in the form of service (could be around 5-10 years)
    Cadet Scheme - pretty much the same as RAF

My biggest tip is dont choose subjects that will not help you if you choose not to become a pilot i.e. keep doors open for other careers too!
    For GCSE I chose, ICT, Geography and Business Studies
    and for AS I chose Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Economics

The reason for the total random spread is that I wanted to keep my options open, I have decided that I want to fly for pleasure rather than as a career, so instead I have opted to go into Investment Banking as a career, however my options are so diverse that they will allow me to become a pilot, or banker, or physisist etc...so keep lots of doors open in your career choice
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viksta1000)
    OK mate, Im learning the private way, which I believe is the best option without going into the RAF

Pilots require Top grades in Physics and Maths at A-level,
    so I'd recommend picking Maths and physics...any other possible choices could be further maths, a science based subject or Geography

Believe it or not, you don't have to go to uni to become a pilot, if you can gain you PPL (private pilots licence) and prove to airlines that you are a viable candidate for a pilot, you can gain scholarships into their cadet schemes where they pay for you CPL (commercial pilots licence), or alternatively you can also do this privately

Average costs for licences
    PPL - around 6-7k
    CPL in excess of £30,000
    ATPL (airlines transport pilots licence) - very expensive, you will gain this once you begin working for an airline and become an experiences PIC (pilot in command)

Google BALPA which is a great source for info on how to become a pilot

Good Luck

I wouldn't say its a must have.... Obviously its important but its not a necessity to be a pilot! There are plenty of pilots who have paid for PPL, then CPL and through that have been given the chance to work towards a ATPL
    But on the whole, it really does help
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    This isn't relative to OP, because their English is probably fine.

But one of the most important things needed to become a pilot is the ability to speak English! Not many people realise that...
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lonelykatana)
    I wouldn't say its a must have.... Obviously its important but its not a necessity to be a pilot! There are plenty of pilots who have paid for PPL, then CPL and through that have been given the chance to work towards a ATPL
    But on the whole, it really does help
    Well, them A levels (Maths/Physics) are those that will set you apart from other candidates - tbh very little physics is involved in learning to fly...its just these subjects demonstrate problem solving abilities that arise as soon as you step into the cockpit

I never said it wasn't possible to privately gain a PPL then CPL...i was just suggesting the cheapest way to get them licenece...sure you can gain them if you want to pay £50,000k+

Its a tought career to break into is commercial aviation as it doesn't follow the same routine as conventional jobs (school, uni, job interview), instead it requires the candidate to pull his finger out, learn to fly in his/her own time and prove to airlines that you are good enough the fly their $70m dollar jets
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i dont know what to do.
    i would love to be a pilot but if i spent all that money to train (because if i where to take it i would be doing it privatly) and then not get a job i would of wasted a hell of alot of money. and wud be peeed off.

im really strugling to make my mind up.
    if you could is there also any other jobs with excellent pay that would need the thins i said earlier in the thread that i think i could get

would be great help
    thanks
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viksta1000)
    Well, them A levels (Maths/Physics) are those that will set you apart from other candidates - tbh very little physics is involved in learning to fly...its just these subjects demonstrate problem solving abilities that arise as soon as you step into the cockpit

I never said it wasn't possible to privately gain a PPL then CPL...i was just suggesting the cheapest way to get them licence...sure you can gain them if you want to pay £50,000k+

Its a tought career to break into is commercial aviation as it doesn't follow the same routine as conventional jobs (school, uni, job interview), instead it requires the candidate to pull his finger out, learn to fly in his/her own time and prove to airlines that you are good enough the fly their $70m dollar jets
    Thats pretty much what I was trying to aim at
    Well said.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    i dont know what to do.
    i would love to be a pilot but if i spent all that money to train (because if i where to take it i would be doing it privatly) and then not get a job i would of wasted a hell of alot of money. and wud be peeed off.

im really strugling to make my mind up.
    if you could is there also any other jobs with excellent pay that would need the thins i said earlier in the thread that i think i could get

would be great help
    thanks
    Airlines used to sponsor. I was looking at one of the last airlines to offer such a scheme a couple of years ago; Easyjet. They no longer do it, they often recruit through 3rd party organisations. It still cost you a large sum and tied you into the airline for x number of years, but provided you passed all of teh testing you had a job at the end of it. Upto a point if you failed in the training you were able to recover some of your deposit. I know this might not entirely help, but a quick google suggests that some organisations who provide pilots to airlines do run similar schemes so google is your friend!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

picking my options
    college
    universaty
    pilot school
    ?? help
    Dont choose GCSE's on the basis of becoming a pilot. Choose what you enjoy and are likely to be best at. Do the same with A-Levels.

Unless you are going into the millitary (which is only if you want to be a millitary pilot, not to get freebie training) then do not put too much emphasis on becoming a commercial pilot at this time. You technically do not need GCSE's or A-Levels to become an airline pilot, as the vast majority of sponsored cadetships are no longer operating in the UK, and are highly unlikely to return. There are one or two in the Middle East and Asia, and as you can imagine competition is fierce.

There are two ways of sponsoring yourself to attain a Frozen Airline Transport Pilots Licence.

The first being the 'modular' route, by which way you will do all of your ratings at a time and places that suits you. In my opinion the best way, as it can be done for as little as £40,000, and you can work at the same time to fund it and hopefully remain relatively debt free.

The second is the 'intergrated' route. There are a limited number of flight training operators that provide this choice. The premise is that you start as a zero hour and do the full lot in one go (with the vast majority of the flying during a few months in Arizona, New Zealand or Spain). This route tends to cost in excess of £80,000 and does not offer the opportunity to work alongside, so living costs would need to be factored in also. The funding for this can be arranged by a couple of banks, but due to the sheer number of people enrolling on these courses and not getting jobs (so going bankrupt) at the end means that such a loan would have to be secured on a property. A very risky business, particularly when the monthly loan payments would be in excess of £1000 a month.

There are few openings for inexperienced fATPL holders, the main one being Ryanair. To get a job at Ryanair you must pay £30,000 for your type rating and line training. As you can imagine, those having gone the intergrated route would then be in a debt of £110,000 at least, that is assuming Ryanair take you on. As far as i know, Ryanair will take people from both the Intergrated and Modular route, so going the modular way and paying Ryanair for a job could cost less than doing an intergrated course.

In all, becoming a commercial pilot involves the investment of a large sum of money, with no guaranteed job in return. Im sorry if its not what you want to hear at the moment, but things can change.

I would just not advise putting pressure on yourself to chose A-Levels or GCSE's just with a view of becoming an airline pilot. Millitary aviation is slightly different, but you really have to want to be an officer in the RAF (for example) to even consider that route, as they dont want freeloaders and you would struggle to get past the initial assessments.

A very good source of information (from very experienced commercial pilots) is Pprune.org.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Get a job in a burger bar and work your way up!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: January 28, 2011
New on TSR

Submitting your UCAS application

How long did it take for yours to be processed?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.