The Student Room Group

2nd degree for welsh students

hi all.

I have seriously been considering doing a second degree. i already studied for a degree in wales in forensic science which i never really wanted to do. i was pushed in to it.

i've now decided that i would like to do optometry in manchester.

but manchester uni told me that to do a second degree i would have to pay international fees which is about £15,000 something pounds! :eek:

i also found out that people who have been through the welsh schooling system only have to pay the old £3000 something pounds fees to do a degree.

is that the same for welsh students who want to do a second degree?

or would i still have to pay international fees?
You're thinking of two separate things here.

Universities in England lost funding a couple of years back for students studying for an ELQ (an Equivelant or Lower Qualification). So English universities have been able to charge ELQ students full fees for a little while now. Some have chosen not to (I think Sheffield, for example, have continued to charge their ELQ students the same as their first time undergrads). On the plus side, this does not apply to Welsh and Scottish
universities so if you attend university in Scotland or Wales you'll pay the same as first time undergrads anyway.

The other thing I think you're thinking of is related to the higher tuition fees due to come in in 2012. Fees are going up in England and Wales but the Welsh Assembly has said that Welsh students studying in England or Wales will only be liable for the ~£3300 per annum fees they currently pay because they'll make up the difference. However, as second time undergrads aren't eligible for any financial assistance (ie, no student loans to cover fees) I doubt they'll be covered by this.

I know, it sucks. I'll be a second time undergrad when I go back this September. Saving like crazy for my fees at the moment! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending