The Student Room Group

I think I failed an exam... :/

...and I'm just so, so worried about it! I resat an AS level this afternoon and although I've done lots of revision and worked so hard, I don't feel positive about the exam and I'm worried that my answers to the questions today were at the same level as when I took the exam for the first time. I really need to get a good grade for this as my university places are relying on it and I'm stressed now........what should I do? If I have done badly I can't take it again and I can't face having to go to a university that I don't want to go to just because of my grades. HELP! :frown:

Scroll to see replies

you cant do anything about it really.
just forget about it until results day.
Reply 2
Let me guess aqa as physics unit 2. If so, i cannot agree more.
Reply 3
What should you do? Sit down, relax, pour yourself a good measure of your favourite beverage, read a book, play chess, blast loud music, do whatever you enjoy for a bit, think about something other than exams for an hour or two. It's over, you can't change it.

If you have other exams this exam period, think about them and getting them right.

If it's any consolation, I always did better on the papers I thought had gone badly and worse on the ones I thought went well.
Reply 4
well there's not much you can do about it now and that doesnt help.

Wait until result day, you may not have done so badly afterall.
Reply 5
Original post by kebabmonk
Let me guess aqa as physics unit 2. If so, i cannot agree more.

AQA B? Physics unit 2?
That exam was evil
Oh well, don't worry now - it's done, forget it.
well, if it has gone badly, you can always resit in june :smile:
Reply 8
AQA B? Physics unit 2?
That exam was evil

No it was actually aqa physics A, but like you said it was evil! Lol
AQA B? Physics unit 2?
That exam was evil

If that exam was evil, the resit paper probably won't be.

In my year, Maths P3 was a ludicrously difficult paper, and everyone got rather bad results (I got a bottom-line E). So we studied extremely hard, took the resit - and it was a ludicrously easy paper (I got a decently high A)!
Reply 10
Original post by kebabmonk
No it was actually aqa physics A, but like you said it was evil! Lol

Ouch, i'd always assumed that A was easier/better than B

And OP, dont worry, you've probably done better than you think! :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by ThePants999
If that exam was evil, the resit paper probably won't be.

In my year, Maths P3 was a ludicrously difficult paper, and everyone got rather bad results (I got a bottom-line E). So we studied extremely hard, took the resit - and it was a ludicrously easy paper (I got a decently high A)!

I hope so! Mechanics is supposed to be my forte, but somehow when it's in the context of physics, it becomes much harder :frown:
Reply 12
Original post by Bella_Cullen
...and I'm just so, so worried about it! I resat an AS level this afternoon and although I've done lots of revision and worked so hard, I don't feel positive about the exam and I'm worried that my answers to the questions today were at the same level as when I took the exam for the first time. I really need to get a good grade for this as my university places are relying on it and I'm stressed now........what should I do? If I have done badly I can't take it again and I can't face having to go to a university that I don't want to go to just because of my grades. HELP! :frown:

at A levels, in the majority of time from my experience you always feel you've than worse than you actually have, so thats the first good news :smile:

second good news is, you can resit it again in summer - and if you don't get a good grade even though having done revision and hard work - start concentrating on exam techniques - thats whats letting you down. read the full specification, read the mark scheme and know exactly and precisely what the examiners are looking for. look at example answers, tips from examiners etc. make sure the way you present your knowledge is one acceptable by examiners - knowing the knowledge is half of the work, the other half is knowing how to present it to a person who doesnt know you, doesnt know how much knowledge you've got and doesnt even know whether you have any knowledge at all or not. so you must know how to present everything.

and the last thing is, never get dissapointed - you've done the exam, you can't do anything about it - just forget about it. the more you stress, the worse your next resit will be. nobody achieved anything with stress.

i hope it goes well for you :smile:
Reply 13
if at first you dont succeed resit, resit and resit again.
Reply 14
Original post by supernova92
well, if it has gone badly, you can always resit in june :smile:

For the third time? Don't think you're allowed to do that, are you? And I'd hate having to revise it again. I just want to get a good grade and move onto the next thing.
For the third time? Don't think you're allowed to do that, are you? And I'd hate having to revise it again. I just want to get a good grade and move onto the next thing.

yes you can! but yeah i so know what you mean though...
Reply 16
yes you can! but yeah i so know what you mean though...

It's just so frustrating because I love my subject and got good results in the mocks...

And I need to get my grade because I've got my conditional offer from the uni I really want and if my AS results mess it up I would be so disappointed. :frown:

But I did the best I could and I guess there's nothing more I can do now.
It's just so frustrating because I love my subject and got good results in the mocks...

And I need to get my grade because I've got my conditional offer from the uni I really want and if my AS results mess it up I would be so disappointed. :frown:

It is frustrating! But... if worst comes to worst, you STILL have one more chance in the summer ! :smile:
Reply 18
It is frustrating! But... if worst comes to worst, you STILL have one more chance in the summer ! :smile:

Yeah, I guess so.

Hey, was it English lit AS? I did the exam, and the exact same thing happened to me- in fact I could have written all your posts on this thread. I am contemplating re-sitting it again, although it is embarassing, but from what I have found out most universities don't mind as long as it is within the 2 years of A-levels. So if need be, re-sit and get the grades for your university place, as I will be doing :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest