The Student Room Group
I don't think the reason you messed up is due to the book you used (to a certain extent) as people in my biology class all used the same books (well atleast I think so) and the grades ranged from A's to U's

What you need to do is brush up on your exam techniques- knowing what the examiner wants, how to approach the question, etc.
Reply 2
thanks, yeh mayb. wa grade did u get?
I'm not familiar with your syllabus, i.e. we don't have 'core pricinples'. I assume that's AS?
I do AQA B and I got a highish B at AS, i'm re-sitting core principles and physiology and transport in january, got an A in genes and genetic engineering. Core principles is more sworn enemy.. i'm gonna get it this time around though :biggrin:

I use the heinemann one, notes off the internet and i'm using Collins student support materials for module 3 which my teacher gave me.
Reply 5
I was successful in AQA B AS Level last year, and I am no doing the A2. I would say that the exam questions are tricky. They ar often misleading and the mark scheme is ofter very tight allowing for very specific responses only.

I found the best way to prepare was doing practice papers. AQA is great for this. All the papers are on their site.
Reply 6
Use the AQA revision guides. Everything you need to know in them. They were my bible back in the day I did my Bio A-Level.
Reply 7
Same as what gordon 2002 said. It might be helpful to download some of the answers to past papers, and when you do those past papers look at exactly what the examiner is looking for. Often the questions will be similarish so if you get into the habit of recognising which words to include in an answer you should be able to crack it. :wink:
Reply 8
Use Revise For AS Biology AQA B. You're bound to do well, and if you have any questions regarding any of the contents on the AQA syllabus, feel free to post. :smile:
Dimez
Use Revise For AS Biology AQA B. You're bound to do well, and if you have any questions regarding any of the contents on the AQA syllabus, feel free to post. :smile:

Is that the thick AQA book?
If you think you've done well but end up with a low mark, you obviously know you're stuff but aren't using the correct terms, phrasing etc.
I would suggest printing off loads of past papers from your exam board's website, have a go at them and then read through their answers thoroughly. Make sure you are using the same terminlogy and practice writing out answers. You'll also notice that "key words" in the question are hinting for you to answer with certain "related key words". Look at the mark scheme - sometimes there is 1 mark just for a specific word.

I got As in all the AS/A-level biology modules.

Hope that helps - good luck.

Laura xxx
Reply 11
stratomaster
Is that the thick AQA book?

Nah, it's a pretty thin revision guide; syllabus specific and contains no extraneous material. Highly recommended.
Reply 12
Dimez
Nah, it's a pretty thin revision guide; syllabus specific and contains no extraneous material. Highly recommended.

Yep, those were the ones I had.

Top notch.
Dimez

Have you got a link to it on Amazon or something so I can have a look?
Reply 14
stratomaster
Have you got a link to it on Amazon or something so I can have a look?

Here
Reply 15
I hate AQA too. Sorry... not doing Biology, but i saw teh title of your thread and decided that i need to recruit you to my cause... see my signature lol
Reply 16
LawHopeful
I hate AQA too. Sorry... not doing Biology, but i saw teh title of your thread and decided that i need to recruit you to my cause... see my signature lol

Why does everyone seem to have a grudge against AQA? They treated pretty well in the past and present! :biggrin: (though not as good as Edexcel:wink:)
Reply 18
Yeah, I utilised both for my exams, but found the former both more financially and economically beneficial, albeit the latter being somewhat more edifying.
Ah the Collins books and the Heinemann books. They're the ones i've been using anyway! :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending