The Student Room Group

Film or art A- levels required ?

Hi to all,
I'm sure that most of people here going to a film course had a film or some kind of art courses in highschool (correct me if I'm wrong). I on the other hand didn't have an opportunity to take any of those. Does this disqualifies me in some sense? I mean I do have a portfolio with three short movies, an essay and a script but still, will the admissioners take me seriously without any formal film education?
Thanks !
You're not alone- I'm determined to do a film course but my school doesn't even do media studies, just Photography. They say that sort of thing matters but when push comes to shove, if you get far better grades than someone who did the recommended subjects, you're doing well. A portfolio definitely helps, it shows that sort of determination these places are looking for. And you're doing much better than me- so far, mine consists of two short film ideas and a half finished script.
Good luck!
Reply 2
Some Film courses don't require an interview, which could be a problem. Although doing Media for A-level, I think, helped me in the application process. I had a LOT of extra curricular activities, student films, volunteering at the local radio station, running events, acting, school newspaper and so forth. If you have a lot of experience in the media field, you will definitely have a good chance regardless!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending