The Student Room Group

Work load at A Level?

I understand A Levels are a step up from GCSEs. But how different is it really?!

What is the work load like, is it so bad that I can expect 2/3 essays a week (I'm doing English, History - two subjects which require a lot of essay writing) or is it manageable i.e. 2/3 in a month..

Also, what is the content like? It is just GCSE but more in depth? Or is it completely new and harder?

Do A Level attempt to prepare you for life at university at all? or does that depend on the school you attend.

thanks ! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
AS level is decent, similair to GCSE work load, you can slack off unless you're doing Chemistry, Maths, Biology or Physics.

A2 subjects tend to be a lot more difficult, much more general research involved and difficult exam questions, but it's not insanely difficult, you just have to keep your guard and work throughout the year.
Reply 2
Original post by RP-MRU.
I understand A Levels are a step up from GCSEs. But how different is it really?!

What is the work load like, is it so bad that I can expect 2/3 essays a week (I'm doing English, History - two subjects which require a lot of essay writing) or is it manageable i.e. 2/3 in a month..

Also, what is the content like? It is just GCSE but more in depth? Or is it completely new and harder?

Do A Level attempt to prepare you for life at university at all? or does that depend on the school you attend.

thanks ! :smile:

I do both History and English lit. Studying A2.
It's not going to be an easy ride. You've effectively got 4 different topics and 4 different teachers within those subjects alone.

In one week for history I could be set 2 essays - 1 for the sources paper from one teacher and 1 from my other teacher
English for my year was an essay every week.

The content for both these subjects is harder and so much more in depth but it's so worth it. Are you doing English Lit? if so, expect to be set reading a long with those essays, the same goes for history

do the work when you get it. don't wait till the last minute.

I'm doing A2 and at present have 2 english essays, reading, one history essay, research and drama coursework.

it's the biggest jump you'll face
Reply 3
For me A levelss haven't been a huge amount more work than GCSEs. Obviously it's a lot more in depth, with a lot more detail, but I don't think the step is as big as some people make out. I probably average about 5 hours work a week at home (if that), but obviously I do more revision around exam time.
Reply 4
I agree with the last poster.
AS is very similar to GCSE but then at A2 is goes up another level because of the need for independent work and wider reading in basically every subject. This may just be because I am doing four essay subjects, but last year I managed to keep up all my clubs etc, but this year I have had to give up some of them just to keep on top of my work... But I am getting an insane amount of work. I often get 6-7 essays a week as well as various other pieces of homework. But then this is completely my fault for choosing four essays subjects in the first place!
Most people I know find it completely manageable (they arn't doing as many essay subjects) and they have plenty of time for activities and just relaxing in the evening.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
If you do OCR Salters Chemistry, the difference is insane.
Reply 6
it's just like doing 20 GCSE's

edit: make it 30..
Reply 7
Original post by TWF
AS level is decent, similair to GCSE work load, you can slack off unless you're doing Chemistry, Maths, Biology or Physics.

A2 subjects tend to be a lot more difficult, much more general research involved and difficult exam questions, but it's not insanely difficult, you just have to keep your guard and work throughout the year.

:frown: Oh well, how much of a step up is A Level Biology from GCSE in terms of difficulty in understanding? (If you do it :redface:)
I've found it a big jump.

At GCSE level everything makes sense instantly and it's all very easy to practice. I find now I have to spend a lot of time understanding the work and making sure I get the practice in before I can move on, or I feel left behind. I'm doing largely sciencey subjects.
Reply 9
Not even comparable tbh.
Reply 10
Original post by mmckn
:frown: Oh well, how much of a step up is A Level Biology from GCSE in terms of difficulty in understanding? (If you do it :redface:)

Nope, sorry, I don't do it. I have mates who do it, they constantly complain about those subjects :P but that's A2.
Reply 11
Well... I'm Studying (AS atm) Philosophy,History,English and Art and I have around four Essays a week.I am sleep deprived, and any spare time is spent attempting either trying to read really lengthy related texts or to add to my Art book.

To be fair I moved from a Comprehensive to a Grammar School, and am a major procrastinator...
Also the first four months were not so bad, I think it's just getting to me slightly :smile:
Sorry, this isn't my thread obviously but I just thought I'd ask a quick question instead of starting a new thread. :tongue:

Is it a terribly bad idea to do four essay subjects? The workload people are reporting here is kind of scary! At the moment that's what I've got in mind, I'm considering swapping one for Biology but I'm uncertain atm.

also, if you do well in a subject at GCSE, do you tend to also do well at AS/A2?
thankyou!
A2 is a LOT of work, I won't lie to you! However my English teacher promised me that A2 exams are the worst ones you will have and that University is more manageable.

He may have been saying that though to prevent me from bursting into tears..
I'm in my AS year doing Eng Lit, History, Philosophy and Spanish and the work load is a step up from GCSE in the sense there's so much more content to keep up with. In terms of essays etc, they're much more regular, but if you choose to do a language do be prepared for a continuous amount of extra work outside of classes. I think, at this stage, it's more difficult processing the ton of information rather than keeping up with the workload!
Depends on the subjects. I couldn't really tell you for essay based subjects, I do maths, chemistry, physics and geography, so geography is the only one I really have to write essays for, and there is no coursework at AS so in terms of a workload I personally don't have too much to do. However, it means I have a LOT of revision to do before the exams, it's a very stressful period, far more so than at GCSE.

My friends who do english and history say it's a lot of work, but I mean you get used to it. If you're acheiving fairly good grades at GCSE, you should transition nicely, I've been doing AS for over a term and the difficulty and workload have slowly increased, but you keep up with it. If I took my GCSEs now they'd be a piece of cake.
Reply 16
I know someone doing AS and A2 history (resits) and one of the englishes and she gets an essay per week per subject plus one of our geography teachers usually gives us an essay.
You're going to get a lot of 'OH MY GOD THERE'S SUCH A MASSIVE JUMP I SO WASN'T READY MAN'.
The increase in quantity per subject is pretty much wholly negated by the fact that you are taking maybe 6 less subjects.
Reply 18
And even in subjects like biology you kind of get essays. Last term I wrote at least 5 full experiments write-ups, each the size of the one bit of coursework i did for bio last year!!
A2 has probably been less work for AS for me. I do four science subjects (Maths, Further Maths, Chem and Physics) and whilst the A2 content is more difficult, I haven't really done any more work. Outside of the exam period I only really do work for maths outside of school.
At AS I did German as well - now that was a lot of work! With essays, vocab, worksheets etc, I would probably spend more time on German than all my other subjects combined. I can imagine with a full set of essay subjects the work load gets pretty immense.

As I see it you can cruise through sciences with not too much work, as long as you understand the material from work in lessons. Essay/arts subjects require a lot of work however good you are.

Quick Reply

Latest