The Student Room Group

Has anyone ever failed a retake?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by chloeee!
I'm in Year 13 now, and last year I got an E in my english lit paper. I retook it yesterday and obviously won't find out how I did until March but I know it was absolutely terrible, I barely wrote anything. I revised etc but just couldn't concentrate and get my thoughts in order, I always get nervous in english exams for some reason. So, if (or realistically, when) I fail this am I allowed to retake it again in June? Has anyone else been in a similar situation and been third time lucky?

I'm in year 11 so it's only GCSEs but last year I got a B (1 mark off an A) in a chemistry module and I retook it... only to get one mark less than the first time! So in March we're hoping for third time lucky...
I will never be good at chemistry :/
But since it's English, you'll have to redo it (might have to pay though). Don't worry! You can do it in June and in the meantime get some relaxation techniques for in the exam :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by Pheebs1201
When I re-sat English Lit yesterday they said they didnt have enough texts to go round, so we had 15 minutes of solid panic before it started not knowing whether we'd be given the poetry book or not. Stuff like that can really throw you in an exam regardless of how much revision youve done, it stressed me out so much I was left feeling quite befuddled when the exam started :frown:

I know what you mean! I didn't have some of the texts from last year (because I'd been revising from audio-book... to see if it would help any of it stay in) so I had to go through the entire school searching for texts. The Eng dept. didn't have any of the books :eek:, and the only anthology I could find had been annotated. Didn't help that I was the only person in the exam, just me sat there with an invigilator :lol:... I was close to having a mental break-down by the end.
Original post by chloeee!
I'm in Year 13 now, and last year I got an E in my english lit paper. I retook it yesterday and obviously won't find out how I did until March but I know it was absolutely terrible, I barely wrote anything. I revised etc but just couldn't concentrate and get my thoughts in order, I always get nervous in english exams for some reason. So, if (or realistically, when) I fail this am I allowed to retake it again in June? Has anyone else been in a similar situation and been third time lucky?

AQA english lit B?

I retook that yesterday after getting an E to :smile:

Also, dont worry - Im sure youve done fine! I was speaking to my teacher and she said that grade boundaries are lower in Jan as less pupils sit the paper + the questions were a gift.

Good luck!
Original post by Liam_G
I know what you mean! I didn't have some of the texts from last year (because I'd been revising from audio-book... to see if it would help any of it stay in) so I had to go through the entire school searching for texts. The Eng dept. didn't have any of the books :eek:, and the only anthology I could find had been annotated. Didn't help that I was the only person in the exam, just me sat there with an invigilator :lol:... I was close to having a mental break-down by the end.

Oh my god how awful! This exam was one that specified that they would provide the texts so I was outraged they didn't have them! X
Reply 24
Retakes can be done as many times as u like and the fee for doing them doesnt increase i did my Philosophy exam three times lol

First time : D 56%
Second time : C 68%
Third time : A 96%

so it is worth it and it gets easier the more times u do it lol :biggrin:
i once did worse in a physics retake than the first time around :sexface:

Quick Reply

Latest