The Student Room Group

MSc Real Estate / Investment & Finance

I know, another topic of this but in all honesty, I've googled, wiki'd, ask'd and there seems to be a lot of debate on which is the 'best' school for Real Estate and doesn't seem to be a general consensus. Further, relying on League tables is pretty useless for this specific field of study. Additionally, I am an international student (Australia) and a lot of talk has been from the domestic UK or EU student standpoint.

The courses I have applied to are as follows;

Cass Business School - MSc Real Estate Investment (unconditional offer)

University of Reading - MSc Real Estate (unconditional offer)

UCL - International Real Estate & Planning (Course Director has said I'm accepted, just waiting for UCL admissions to ensure I have the 2:1 standard)

Cambridge - MPhil Real Estate Finance (didn't bother applying. Only have a mid 2:1)

Ideally want to get into Development/Investment of in IB real estate arm or development firm (BNP, Blackstone, Lend Lease etc.) - have no interest in Trading. Also looking to head to Canada post study so which is more recognised internationally? And does prestige vs. content matter in this case?

Any opinions, advise, which is recognized superior internationally, pro's and con's etc. would be greatly appreciated. Personally, I am stuck between Cass and UCL

Cheers
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Yo.
I applied to UCL and Cambridge for the same courses; I have an interview with UCL next week, haven't heard anything back from Cambridge yet but doubt my chances with them. As an international student, I'd suggest going with UCL/Cambridge due to their international standing. In the UK, Reading has a very good rep specifically within Real Estate but generally it is an average uni, whereas UCL/Cambridge are world renowned. And in the end of the day, reputation counts. They're all good bets though.
Good luck
Reply 2
Original post by thebadboy2k1
Yo.
I applied to UCL and Cambridge for the same courses; I have an interview with UCL next week, haven't heard anything back from Cambridge yet but doubt my chances with them. As an international student, I'd suggest going with UCL/Cambridge due to their international standing. In the UK, Reading has a very good rep specifically within Real Estate but generally it is an average uni, whereas UCL/Cambridge are world renowned. And in the end of the day, reputation counts. They're all good bets though.
Good luck

Thanks mate. Do you mind me asking what's your goal and ambitions? Ultimately, my passion is in development (particularly gentrification) but my opinion is that UCL course will be too heavy in Planning and not heavy enough on the financial side. However, people got to MIT in the US for a RE masters for the name reather than the course content so maybe that's something worth thinking about. Additionally, I'm not the sort of guy to be plugged behind a desk analyzing the Real Estate sector. What would be ideal is to do some additional finance courses at UCL but doubt this can be done. Also, what are the career prospects, careers fairs etc. like at UCL?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
anyone? Can someone give me any advice on the various School's reputation within the UK, Continental Europe or US (albeit Cambridge). Cheers
Reply 4
I am almost in similar case with you.
i got conditional offers from REI in Cass, Banking and finance in QM,Univ. of London
and i'm waiting for reply from reading, UCL (all the same courses with you)
now, i'm concentrating on IELTS test that is required because i'm international student(S.Korea). it's very very tough for me!!

I wonder whether it's possible to defer a year with conditional offer in this course(REI in Cass) or not. Do u have any idea?

In response to original questions, i think UCL may be better choice because u hope to get a developer job that require broad knowledge on various fields(market analysis, finance, planning, project management, legal process, etc)
And i firmly believe that planning is the most important area in this job.

In contrast, real estate finance major seems good choice if your job destination is about financing sectors such as construction project financing, securitization methods...

I've been a professional developer in korea for 5yrs and want to change my career to financial job in this chance. in this point, we may need different access.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by kutusov01
I am almost in similar case with you.
i got conditional offers from REI in Cass, Banking and finance in QM,Univ. of London
and i'm waiting for reply from reading, UCL (all the same courses with you)
now, i'm concentrating on IELTS test that is required because i'm international student(S.Korea). it's very very tough for me!!

I wonder whether it's possible to defer a year with conditional offer in this course(REI in Cass) or not. Do u have any idea?

In response to original questions, i think UCL may be better choice because u hope to get a developer job that require broad knowledge on various fields(market analysis, finance, planning, project management, legal process, etc)
And i firmly believe that planning is the most important area in this job.

In contrast, real estate finance major seems good choice if your job destination is about financing sectors such as construction project financing, securitization methods...

I've been a professional developer in korea for 5yrs and want to change my career to financial job in this chance. in this point, we may need different access.

Well your English seems fairly decent. As for deferment of offers, I have no idea on that. I'm tending to lean towards UCL (providing I can even get an offer) because of the name, and the elective subjects that can be taken outside of Bartlett's faculty. Some people have even taken subjects at LSE but not sure if this is available for UCL Bartlett students. I also have an ambition to work in North America (Canada/NYC) so the UCL brand will help me as well. I don't want to solely focus on Financial subject's because there is much more to development then obtaining finance. UCL seems to have a good balance between urban design, town planning, some finance (more so when you consider additional modules from other courses - MSc Management etc.).

I know at Cass you can opt to do additional coursework as opposed to a dissertation, but not sure if you can do this at UCL. This would be beneficial as I've already completed a 40,000 word dissertation as part of my undergrad, and would much rather have the opportunity to undertake more subjects than research.
Reply 6
bump
Reply 7
Yeah, I think it is a really good option to do this course; it definitely has a lot of good perspective. Lots of people are investing in the real estate market blindly without any strategies. They all need proper guidance form a good realtor, a realtor knows what the current market situation is and will advise an investor according to the situation.
Reply 8
Original post by Stuart01
Yeah, I think it is a really good option to do this course; it definitely has a lot of good perspective. Lots of people are investing in the real estate market blindly without any strategies. They all need proper guidance form a good realtor, a realtor knows what the current market situation is and will advise an investor according to the situation.

Any advice on which course is superior (keeping in mind I didn't apply to Cambridge)?
Reply 9
bump.

Have been accepted into Cass
Reply 10
anyone?
Reply 11
Hi masterajb,

Congrats on your acceptance in to Cass.

I too have applied for Cass, LSE and UCL. Still waiting for the respective offers. Only thing - for LSE one needs a good GMAT score, which I yet have to take. Have been told for LSE that I would get a conditional offer, subject to GMAT scores. But I'm anyway kind of more inclined toward Cass for the course content. LSE seems to be known more for its finance programs and is connection with stock markets. UCL, of course would be my ultimate choice since it deals a lot with the planning aspect of real estate (plus the reputation), but it all finally depends on the choice of offer letters. I genuinely believe though, that one should prioritize course content over reputation in case of selecting the university, cause I feel that's what ultimately goes the long distance. Reputations are progressive.

Cambridge is.....well Cambridge! But for me, being in the city is very important, as it keeps you connected with the real world. Not that I even stood a chance to get in anyway, but you get my drift. :smile:

Let's stay in touch. We might end up going for the same program to the same school.
Reply 12
Original post by Amitee
Hi masterajb,

Congrats on your acceptance in to Cass.

I too have applied for Cass, LSE and UCL. Still waiting for the respective offers. Only thing - for LSE one needs a good GMAT score, which I yet have to take. Have been told for LSE that I would get a conditional offer, subject to GMAT scores. But I'm anyway kind of more inclined toward Cass for the course content. LSE seems to be known more for its finance programs and is connection with stock markets. UCL, of course would be my ultimate choice since it deals a lot with the planning aspect of real estate (plus the reputation), but it all finally depends on the choice of offer letters. I genuinely believe though, that one should prioritize course content over reputation in case of selecting the university, cause I feel that's what ultimately goes the long distance. Reputations are progressive.

Cambridge is.....well Cambridge! But for me, being in the city is very important, as it keeps you connected with the real world. Not that I even stood a chance to get in anyway, but you get my drift. :smile:
Let's stay in touch. We might end up going for the same program to the same school.

Amitee, and masterajb, i could realize that we are in same interest. I now received offers from cass,ucl, and reading and like to share more information with you. I suggest to keep in touch(by email, messanger, iphone,etc) together, if possible.
Reply 13
Amitee, and masterajb, i could realize that we are in same interest. I now received offers from cass,ucl, and reading and like to share more information with you. I suggest to keep in touch(by email, messanger, iphone,etc) together, if possible.

Hi kutusov01,

I agree about staying in touch, and TSR is a pretty good platform for the same.

Regarding your earlier post regarding deferment - first of all, what conditions are your offers subject to from respective unis? And are you considering to defer only because of your IELTS?
Reply 14
Original post by Amitee
Hi kutusov01,

I agree about staying in touch, and TSR is a pretty good platform for the same.

Regarding your earlier post regarding deferment - first of all, what conditions are your offers subject to from respective unis? And are you considering to defer only because of your IELTS?

As u know, i'm an international student and have lots of variables still now. (selling my house here, preparations for tution fee and ielts score, resignation of my job here , etc) Ielts score is the only condition that i should qualify and i'm now about to goal ; almost 7.0 :smile: . However i already deferred my entry of cass to 2012 considering my total circumstances.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 15
As u know, i'm an international student and have lots of variables still now. (selling my house here, preparations for tution fee and ielts score, resignation of my job here , etc) Ielts score is the only condition that i should qualify and i'm now about to goal ; almost 7.0 :smile: . However i already deferred my entry of cass to 2012 considering my total circumstances.

That's understandable. All the best for your future endeavors.
Reply 16
have now also been accepted into MSc Real Estate @ Reading.
Reply 17
Just got my acceptance in Cass. Waiting for UCL to reply. If not a positive one, then Cass it is.
Reply 18
Original post by Amitee
Just got my acceptance in Cass. Waiting for UCL to reply. If not a positive one, then Cass it is.

Still for MSc Real Estate Investment? I think I might change mine to the MSc Real Estate. I do want to end up in development and the REI might pigeon hole me into commercial real estate which is something I do not want to do
Reply 19
Original post by masterajb
Still for MSc Real Estate Investment? I think I might change mine to the MSc Real Estate. I do want to end up in development and the REI might pigeon hole me into commercial real estate which is something I do not want to do

No, not Investment. I opted for the MSRE instead. More rounded program IMO. It was actually my first option with Cass with REI being the second, then changed my mind midway after listening to & getting influenced by some 'acquaintances' and finally back to original selection on account of relevance of course content. I'd figured that I could cover the capital markets & quant parts in my MBA that I told you about earlier.

What abt you? Have you made your final decision yet?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending