The Student Room Group

FP1 OCR(not MEI) Jan 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Tanster
hey, what was question 4 o_O? I still can't remember it xD sorry ~

Find a and b so that sum to n of ar^3 + br = n(n-1)(n+1)(n+2)?

Original post by vergas
Re: FP1 OCR(not MEI) Jan 2011
for 7i) what was the question?
i thought it was what makes (1,0) go to (4,0) :/

It was the shear matrix parallel to the x-axis that transforms (1,1) to (4,1).

Found the paper pretty straightforward, think I got close to full marks but the grade boundaries are gonna be high! Agree with what everybody's saying about y=x-2 though, but thanks Mr M!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by Goldfishy
I had to wait for Mr M's solutions before I could say I found it pretty easy :redface:. Yep - I was just worried about a small slip-up too. Looks like you have full marks too :grin: Btw, did you qualify for BMO2 by any chance?

I'm with the others on this point that it's bounded by y = -2 rather than the real axis.

It just makes more sense I feel :smile:
Reply 42
Original post by Breve
Find a and b so that sum to n of ar^3 + br = n(n-1)(n+1)(n+2)?

Found the paper pretty straightforward, think I got close to full marks but the grade boundaries are gonna be high!

cheers man, yea i got this a tad wrong >___>;; I'm not aiming for the A*, so hopefully I can pull of an A :O
Reply 43
Original post by mrppaulo
It just makes more sense I feel :smile:

Yeah, checking on the point e.g. 4 - 2i confirms it.
Original post by Goldfishy
I had to wait for Mr M's solutions before I could say I found it pretty easy :redface:. Yep - I was just worried about a small slip-up too. Looks like you have full marks too :grin: Btw, did you qualify for BMO2 by any chance?

I'm with the others on this point that it's bounded by y = -2 rather than the real axis.

just checked my textbook and as far as i can tell, we should be right :P need mr m to clarify i think
Reply 45
urgh cant believe i misread the sheer question :frown:
dya reckon 70/72 will still be 100ums?
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
I agree with all of those. For question 2ii) however, it did ask for the answer in the form x+yi.

EDIT: Although, the shaded triangle should the one enclosed by the half line, the line Im(z)=2Im(z) = -2 (as opposed to the real axis) and the line Re(z)=4Re(z)=4 surely?

That is correct.
I'm surprised at how easy that was compared to the past exam papers. Do you think the grade boundaries will be super high?

The only question that I can see that I've dropped marks on is the simultaneous equations. When I solved them I ended up getting two inconsistent equations. So I put 'no solutions, the lines are parallel' but obviously this is wrong. Will I loose all 3 marks or will I get any credit for this?
Sorry folks, I meant a line parallel to real axis - Goldfishy explained it well. I will correct answer.
Original post by snowboardinsteve
Damn. Why does the shading stop at the real axis? i thought it would be left of x = 2 and above y = -2 and underneath the line y = x - 2

Sorry steve, my answer was misleading.
Original post by mrppaulo
okay why is 6)ii) between line x=4 and the real axis?
:frown:

Sorry paulo, I thought you were asking why it doesn't the shading go down for ever not why doesn't it stop at a different place. It does. My answer was wrong.
Reply 51
Original post by Mr M
That is correct.

So is it a triangle with corners (4,2), (0,-2) and (4,-2) :smile: thanks for the update mr m i got the same as steve so this is good news :smile:
Reply 52
Original post by Mr M
Sorry paulo, I thought you were asking why it doesn't the shading go down for ever not why doesn't it stop at a different place. It does. My answer was wrong.

aha sorry quoting at the same time aha thanks very much mr m :smile:
Original post by Mr M
Sorry steve, my answer was misleading.

Ahh i see now. Thank you for doing the answers anyway :smile:
I dont get how you prove the equations were consistent for 9)iii could you briefly explain that one please?
Original post by snowboardinsteve
Damn. Why does the shading stop at the real axis? i thought it would be left of x = 2 and above y = -2 and underneath the line y = x - 2

Got inconsistent, but i see why i am wrong now :frown:

Exact two mistakes I made. Didn't go far enough down. I'm hoping I only loose 1 mark out of 3 for that.

And I got inconsistent as well so I obviously made an arithmetic error somewhere but since my answer comes out as being inconsistent, I'm hoping to get a mark for saying no solutions.
Reply 55
Original post by Freerider101

Bah, as someone who self-taught myself it all in a week, I look like I've got about 50ish. Which is not good, considering everyone here thinks it was straightforward and hence the grade boundaries will probably be high... :s-smilie:
Original post by Freerider101
Exact two mistakes I made. Didn't go far enough down. I'm hoping I only loose 1 mark out of 3 for that.

And I got inconsistent as well so I obviously made an arithmetic error somewhere but since my answer comes out as being inconsistent, I'm hoping to get a mark for saying no solutions.

Well I'm not gonna lie, the teacher I have for the simultaneous stuff is pretty sh*t :tongue: She did like one lesson on infinite solutions ages ago, and its hard to revise from the textbooks we have. So I'm gonna blame that one on my teacher :wink: haha
Original post by Mr M
OCR FP1 (not MEI) answers Jan 2011
5. A2\mathbf{A}^2 (3 marks)

despite this being a ridiculously easy papyer, I am retaking next week! Can you explain how you got the answer to question five? Having got my paper back, I got the correct answer, but only 1/3 marks. To me, my method seems sound and it is written clearly but I didn't get any credit for it.

The question was 'Simplify AB(A^-1 B)^-1 '

Thanks
Original post by adrenalinmmx
despite this being a ridiculously easy papyer, I am retaking next week! Can you explain how you got the answer to question five? Having got my paper back, I got the correct answer, but only 1/3 marks. To me, my method seems sound and it is written clearly but I didn't get any credit for it.

The question was 'Simplify AB(A^-1 B)^-1 '

Thanks

You should know that (PQ)1=Q1P1(PQ)^{-1}=Q^{-1}P^{-1}

Apply this fact
Reply 59
Anyone got/know of a PDF of this paper on the web?

I know OCR won't put it on their website until the end of this exam period, but often people leak copies early...
It's the only one I've not done yet.

tia

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending