The Student Room Group

Want to apply for Vet Med.. But have a problem.

Ok,

So here's my problem. I have always wanted to be a Vet and have completed relevant work experience, yet have a problem.

My problem is that, I don't have the right subjects.. @ GCSE or @ Post 16

My GCSE Profile is:

A* - Physical Education
AA - ICT
A - Geography
B - French
B - History
B - Mathematics
B - English Language
C - English Literature
C - German

OCR National Certificate Level 2 in Science *

My situation is that I was fast tracked into the year above, ie from Year 9 to Year 10 and was forced into taking an OCR "all GCSE" qualification.

I'm currently studying the IB with:

English SL
French HL
Biology HL
Geography HL
Maths Studies SL
Psychology SL

I'm clearly therefore lacking in Chemistry and the GCSEs.

What I was thinking is that:

Next september, I take the 3 GCSEs in Triple Science, Biology, Chem and Physics with my college who have said they will see me to do them

AND

Either do Chemistry HL for the IB as a Certificate subject to meet the chem requirement

OR

Apply to do three A Levels, Bio, Chem and another..

after finishing the IB

So, Please advise!!!!!!!!
C -
I don't know what the IB requirements are precisely in terms of grades; it's worth checking that out in the prospectus.

In terms of GCSES you can either do double science, or triple for most Unis. However, please ring them up to see if they stipulate that your need it precisely since perhaps some will take an IB/A level chem at a good grade instead of the GCSE. It would be advisable to do triple, if you do take it however, since it lays a good foundations for your chem IB/A level.

I really don't think it matters if you do IB or A level chemistry, as long as your have either. To me it would make more sense to take the IB chemi since your other subjects are IBs. I've not heard people mix and match before, so it may be worth ringing up admissions to ask them what they feel about that.

And remember to get a good varied amount of work experience too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending