The Student Room Group

Is 51 too old to do a degree

Hi,

I am seriously thinking about doing a degree, full time, part time or even distance learning but... I'm 51! Left school at 16 with some low level CSE's, did a 4 year apprenticeship in the aircraft industry and came out with C & G's qualification. Spent 26 years in this buisness and went onto pastures new when I decided to to teach english as a foreign language. Did the TESOL and have been teaching since 2002. However, it's now becoming more difficult to get teaching jobs abroad and at home in the UK without a degree so therefore contemplating life as a muture student combined with teaching
Any info appreciated or people with similar stories...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Not at all.
It never too late to do these things!
Reply 2
Original post by Chinagas
Hi,

I am seriously thinking about doing a degree, full time, part time or even distance learning but... I'm 51! Left school at 16 with some low level CSE's, did a 4 year apprenticeship in the aircraft industry and came out with C & G's qualification. Spent 26 years in this buisness and went onto pastures new when I decided to to teach english as a foreign language. Did the TESOL and have been teaching since 2002. However, it's now becoming more difficult to get teaching jobs abroad and at home in the UK without a degree so therefore contemplating life as a muture student combined with teaching
Any info appreciated or people with similar stories...

Probably not too late, but make sure you can finish the course very quickly and pay it all off asap. But it definitely sounds strange.
Plently of teachers have done part time degrees whilst working full time. It was the standard way of getting a degree before it became an all graduate profession.
Reply 4
Original post by damos92
Switch the numbers around and add about 4 years.

You're 32 years too late.

Don't be stupid, plenty of mature students do degrees. OP have a look at Birkbeck if you're London based.
its only too old if you let it be
Reply 6
Never too late! Good luck!
Of course it isn't too late.
There is someone on my psychology course who is 49 and he seems to be enjoying it.
Reply 8
I agree with everyone else, if you really want that degree, don't let anyone or anything stop you from doing otherwise
Nope. Go for it. Only barriers will be things like social groups etc., just be prepared for that saide of uni - otherwise the academic side should be the same doesn't matter what age you are. Good luck :yy:

out of interest, what are you planning to study?
Reply 10
I know a woman who is 54 who started university this year as a nursing student after going in and out of different jobs such as a cashier, call center operator, cleaner, care assistant etc etc did her GCSE's then i think a levels at night and is loving her course. GO FOR IT!!!!! dont let idiots here put you down.

I also know someone who went back at 40 and did a less vocational degree, their income potnetial is now 3x higher and they love the carreer it has led into!!
Its not too old, but it might cause you a few problems getting a job when you graduate, what with the fact you won't be employable very long.

But i would say go for it :smile:
Never too old. Theres a 65 year old on my course. good luck.
Reply 13
there's a women in the oxford prospectus in her 60s doing undergrad english - so no!
Na, my Mum did her degree at the exact same age (Nursing) and graduated with honours.

Go for it!
Reply 15
Of course not, my mum studied a part time degree in psychology after already having a degree in french just because she had an interest in it :smile:
Reply 16
You've even got a sensible reason for doing it, so absolutely no problem whatsoever.
Reply 17
My dad got his first degree when he was 48, although he had quite high level qualifications already.
Reply 18
For teaching wouldn't you need to do the 4 year then a postgrad in teaching? So 5-6 years...you'll hardly get any work done before you retire. Partly meaning it's of little practical use and you've used government loans which you'll never have the means / be asked to pay back.
When university cuts are as they are the last thing students need is people applying for degrees who will do nothing but drain the system.

Sometimes having life experience coming out your ass can be better than any degree, stick with that?
Reply 19
Original post by Shuvel
For teaching wouldn't you need to do the 4 year then a postgrad in teaching? So 5-6 years...you'll hardly get any work done before you retire. Partly meaning it's of little practical use and you've used government loans which you'll never have the means / be asked to pay back.
When university cuts are as they are the last thing students need is people applying for degrees who will do nothing but drain the system.

Sometimes having life experience coming out your ass can be better than any degree, stick with that?

He's been paying taxes for 44 years, I'm sure he has paid the government more than enough to cover the cost of a student loan.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending