London School of Economics
London

The Official Carr-Saunders Hall Thread 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Milan.
Hey all

im also at Carr-Saunders halls im the Vice-President for the student committee
i'm happy to answer any questions aswell

i've also been fortunate enough to have visited nearly all other halls and been around them so i can help you compare and contrast them with carr-saunders

Original post by oakbluffs
Hi Guys,

I'm Gareth and I'm the Hall President of Carr-Saunders for this year, which means if any of you end up at Saunders in September I've got the job, along with the rest of the committee, of organizing your Fresher's Week. I remember when I was applying for accommodation I had so many questions, and often it was hard to find someone to talk to. So if you're after a small hall (150 undergrads, almost no postgrads) that's in a really great area and only a short walk from LSE then you should really consider Carr-Saunders. Feel free to ask anything you like on here. I can't promise you an unbiased answer, because my time here's been wicked so far, but I can tell you anything you want to know, even the negative stuff. You can get a decent description of the halls on the LSE accommodation site, but it doesn't really say anything about the student experience at Saunders, so that's where I can help you the most.

So fire away.:borat:

Hey thnx tons for your time,

I know this has already been asked a lot before, but if you don't mind then greater detail would be highly appreciated. Is it possible to know the exact number of toilets/showers on each floor and the exact number of rooms on each floor ?

Also, do the toilets have the sinks inside the same room or are (like many places) are the sink and shower in one room and the toilet in the next room ?

That is for CS but if you know the answer to that question for Roseberry, High Hol and Bankside then that would be great.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 221
Original post by member910132
Hey thnx tons for your time,

I know this has already been asked a lot before, but if you don't mind then greater detail would be highly appreciated. Is it possible to know the exact number of toilets/showers on each floor and the exact number of rooms on each floor ?

Also, do the toilets have the sinks inside the same room or are (like many places) are the sink and shower in one room and the toilet in the next room ?

That is for CS but if you know the answer to that question for Roseberry, High Hol and Bankside then that would be great.

each floor has approx 30 rooms
there are 2 sets of bathrooms on each floor
the larger bathrooms have between 6 and 8 showers and 3 toilets and a sink
the other bathroom has 3 showers and a bathtub (if you like taking baths)
and theres another toilet room with 3 toilets and a sink

this is similar for rosebery

bankside is all ensuite or you share your shower and toilet with one other person

member910132

2. Are there kitchens ? What do the kitchens contain ? Roughly how many people are there to a kitchen ?

3. What catered meals do you get and were they included in the price ?

4. Is there a minimum contract length that you must pay for the room for, eg 31 weeks, 40 weeks etc ?

Thnx millions for your time

theres a kitchen per floor

carr saunders is catered and you get dinner on weekdays in the evening, nothing on the weekend

minimum 31 weeks, you can extend that if you want
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Milan.
each floor has approx 30 rooms
there are 2 sets of bathrooms on each floor
the larger bathrooms have between 6 and 8 showers and 3 toilets and a sink
the other bathroom has 3 showers and a bathtub (if you like taking baths)
and theres another toilet room with 3 toilets and a sink

this is similar for rosebery

bankside is all ensuite or you share your shower and toilet with one other person

theres a kitchen per floor

carr saunders is catered and you get dinner on weekdays in the evening, nothing on the weekend

minimum 31 weeks, you can extend that if you want

Just to clarify,
In Carr Saunders each floor (in general) has 2 (unisex ?) bathrooms, a large one and a smaller one.
When you walk in there are cubicles with showers only in it, cubicles with toilets only in it and the sink it not located inside any of these cubicles ?
So do male/female use the same bathrooms or have you told me all the male bathrooms and left the female ones ?

And Roseberry is similar in that you won't find a sink and a toilet within one cubicle ?
Reply 223
Just to clarify,
In Carr Saunders each floor (in general) has 2 (unisex ?) bathrooms, a large one and a smaller one.
When you walk in there are cubicles with showers only in it, cubicles with toilets only in it and the sink it not located inside any of these cubicles ?
So do male/female use the same bathrooms or have you told me all the male bathrooms and left the female ones ?

And Roseberry is similar in that you won't find a sink and a toilet within one cubicle ?

In Carr Saunders each floor has 2 unisex bathrooms, a large one and a smaller one.
When you walk in the large one there are cubicles with showers only in it & cubicles with toilets only in it & the sink is not located inside any of these cubicles
the smaller bathrooms contain 3 shower cubicles
theres a separate toilet room next to this smaller bathroom with 3 toilets in cubicles and a sink outside
male & female use the same bathrooms
Reply 224
Original post by Milan.
In Carr Saunders each floor has 2 unisex bathrooms, a large one and a smaller one.
When you walk in the large one there are cubicles with showers only in it & cubicles with toilets only in it & the sink is not located inside any of these cubicles
the smaller bathrooms contain 3 shower cubicles
theres a separate toilet room next to this smaller bathroom with 3 toilets in cubicles and a sink outside
male & female use the same bathrooms

do the cubicle toilets have hand showers? and can we take our food back to our rooms?
Reply 225
It is good to have a sociable hall, but rosebery claims that it can be very noisy there. Is it noisy at CS?
Reply 226
Original post by rachel143
do the cubicle toilets have hand showers? and can we take our food back to our rooms?

if you meant cubicle showers then:
there is a bathtub room on each floor which has a shower than can be detached and used by hand

Original post by Asian7
It is good to have a sociable hall, but rosebery claims that it can be very noisy there. Is it noisy at CS?

depends on who your neighbours are
you can complain if you dont like the noise, or work somewhere else, theres plenty of places to escape to in london
Reply 227
Original post by Milan.
if you meant cubicle showers then:
there is a bathtub room on each floor which has a shower than can be detached and used by hand

no i meant whether there are any hand showers inside the cubicle TOILETS as in beside comodes...:colondollar:

and are we allowed to take our food to our rooms?
Reply 228
Original post by rachel143
no i meant whether there are any hand showers inside the cubicle TOILETS as in beside comodes...:colondollar:

and are we allowed to take our food to our rooms?

haha no there are isnt a hand shower, bidet or anything fancy, just a toilet and enough toilet paper

yeah you can eat/take food to your room
Hey just one quick question:

What should I pick between CS and RB if my only criterion are toilet/shower : student ratios. Do you know whether the shower at CS have locks ? I ask because I read somewhere that RB showers don't have locks ?
Reply 230
Hey just one quick question:

What should I pick between CS and RB if my only criterion are toilet/shower : student ratios. Do you know whether the shower at CS have locks ? I ask because I read somewhere that RB showers don't have locks ?

cs showers have locks yes!
not sure about ratios for rosebery, their showers do have locks though (from what i remember) ask this in the rosebery thread
Reply 231
Wait...
I've just read on here that catered doesnt mean free..
I naturally (or stupidly?) assumed that a catered hall meant that the meal prices were included in our rent.
Do we have to pay £2.80 for a meal each night?

Someone please confirm this urgently! I have a shared room at CS and am now seriously considering withdrawing and looking for private.
Reply 232
hi, i actually have a room in international hall. and would be really interested in moving to CS, i dont mind single or shared room! anyone interested do PM me alright? :smile:
Reply 233
Hi is there a workout gym near Carr-Saunders?
Hi is there a workout gym near Carr-Saunders?

The University of London Union's got one about 10 minutes away, I think, and there's some on the way to campus.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending