Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

The Official Carr-Saunders Hall Thread 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by solo443

Original post by solo443
Wudnt u get to hear from them at the same time if its a lottery system?

ah well there you go, you have proved by counterexample that it is not a lottery system
people heard at different times
no idea how accommodation is based, but the majority of people i asked got their first choices
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 101
Original post by Milan.

Original post by Milan.
ah well there you go, you have proved by counterexample that it is not a lottery system
people heard at different times
no idea how accommodation is based, but the majority of people i asked got their first choices

oh ok.. im sure u know more about it than any1 of us... I am quite confused.. im guessing they draw every1s names out for all the halls at the same time then they process their application in terms of peoples choices and then sort stuff out... the processing and sorting is done at different times im guessing... This is my hypothesis.. U have already gone through the process once.. what do u think?
Reply 102
Original post by solo443

Original post by solo443
oh ok.. im sure u know more about it than any1 of us... I am quite confused.. im guessing they draw every1s names out for all the halls at the same time then they process their application in terms of peoples choices and then sort stuff out... the processing and sorting is done at different times im guessing... This is my hypothesis.. U have already gone through the process once.. what do u think?

this may be true, may not be...

the halls process is full of mystery

just put down your preferences and your top 3 choices and hope that you get your preferred choice!
Original post by solo443

Its my understanding of the situation is that it isn't quite on first come, first served basis, and its not a complete lottery either. They look at you preferences and try to allocate you from there, if there is a low demand they give you the offer of the place. If there is particularly high demand for that place they take into account your other preferences and their levels of demand etc. Then they may revert to a lottery if there are still too many applications for one halls to separate these. Obviously its an ongoing process so the earlier you apply the better chances you have, as if you're too late you may simply miss the lottery.

From my experience the accommodation office do a fairly good job of allocating people if they've applied on time and been fairly relaxed in stating what preferences they have.
Reply 104
Original post by DaveParlour

Original post by DaveParlour
Its my understanding of the situation is that it isn't quite on first come, first served basis, and its not a complete lottery either. They look at you preferences and try to allocate you from there, if there is a low demand they give you the offer of the place. If there is particularly high demand for that place they take into account your other preferences and their levels of demand etc. Then they may revert to a lottery if there are still too many applications for one halls to separate these. Obviously its an ongoing process so the earlier you apply the better chances you have, as if you're too late you may simply miss the lottery.

From my experience the accommodation office do a fairly good job of allocating people if they've applied on time and been fairly relaxed in stating what preferences they have.

Yeah i agree... I reckon they carry out the lottery after the 1st of may cz thats the deadline...
Reply 105
I applied for Carr Saunders - looked round on open day. Looks really nice. Its a shame the bar downstairs doesn't get used more often; its beautiful. Perhaps, some of the new residents next year could try and change this.
I had a look round on Tuesday and managed to take some sneaky pics of some of the rooms and stuff, so if anyone wants to see them, just let me know and I'll upload them on here :smile: The room seemed quite small, but then again it's in London so that's just to be expected :tongue: The showers and stuff were alright and the guy showed us a bathtub which was quite random haha.
I went to see Carr-saunders too, the receptionist was so nice! she made it seem so nice and friendly but when I asked some law students about Carr Saunders they said whatever I do stay away from it.

I still put it down as my 3rd choice.
Reply 108
Original post by JackB123
I applied for Carr Saunders - looked round on open day. Looks really nice. Its a shame the bar downstairs doesn't get used more often; its beautiful. Perhaps, some of the new residents next year could try and change this.

Making better use of the basement is definitely something we're going to try and improve upon next term and the next academic year. At the moment its main use is for Hall parties, which the committee usually subsidizes. It's where we'll have our first freshers event too on the day you arrive, definitely one to look forward to.
Reply 109
Original post by Anita B. Studin
I went to see Carr-saunders too, the receptionist was so nice! she made it seem so nice and friendly but when I asked some law students about Carr Saunders they said whatever I do stay away from it.

Haha I guess Carr-Saunders isn't to everyone's taste. Glad to hear you still chose it, even as your 3rd choice!
Reply 110

:redface:
did they say why?!
Original post by Milan.
yep, £10 a term at carr-saunders

Thanks so much for the reply :smile: Just another question, will there be specific measures about the fridge that we are allowed to bring? I was thinking of one about 80cm tall, i dont know if it is too extreme?

Another concern, i have a really close friend going to Warwick so she may wants to stay with me during 1-2 nights in London, i dont know if CS is a bit tough about overnight visitors?
Reply 112
Original post by Loran Aniseed
Thanks so much for the reply :smile: Just another question, will there be specific measures about the fridge that we are allowed to bring? I was thinking of one about 80cm tall, i dont know if it is too extreme?

Another concern, i have a really close friend going to Warwick so she may wants to stay with me during 1-2 nights in London, i dont know if CS is a bit tough about overnight visitors?

Fridges, quote from http://www2.lse.ac.uk/lifeAtLSE/accommodation/forStudents/residentialHalls/carrSaunders/currentResidents/rules/hallRegulations.aspx

Fridges: Fridges are allowed in residents' room, however we do have some strict guidelines that must be adhered to:

The fridge must be under guarantee (a copy must be provided), 'frost-free' or 'auto defrost', measuring no more that (HWD) 850mm x 550 x 600mm.

There will be a charge of £10 per term payable at the start of each term together with your termly rent invoice.

Residents' can leave the fridge in their room during the Christmas and Easter vacation period, however if you do decide to do so it is at your own risk.

If a resident chooses to leave the fridge in their room during the vacation, then it must be left in a clean state. Failure to do so will result in a cleaning charge of £10.00 being imposed on the resident concerned.

All wiring and connections must fully comply with the British Safety Standard (BSS) requirements. If it is found that an electrical fault occurs as a result of a breach of these standards then a charge of £50 will be made if the fault can be rectified in-house or if not then the resident concerned will bear the full cost of an electricians call-out charge.

Any damage caused to the carpet, walls etc., will be charged to the resident.

If a resident fails to take their fridge with them on their departure from the Hall in the Summer Term, then a charge of £60 will be made to the person concerned for the safe disposal.

There will be no trunk room storage facilities for fridges.

Bear in mind that UK electricity is 220 - 240 volts and 50 hertz. Thus, some foreign-source items may be unsuitable. Further information on use of electrical items will be found on a separate handout.

guests:
guests are allowed, you sign them in and that's it!
saunders are lenient about guests you're allowed people
Original post by Milan.
:redface:
did they say why?!

the cleanliness and the shower she said. But luckily I went to see it for myself before she told me all this so I wasn't put off too much. The receptionist who showed us around was really nice! and your common room was quite nice too.
Reply 114
Original post by Loran Aniseed

Just to add to what Milan said above about having people over, if it's any longer than 3 nights they you'll need to ask permission of the warden, but they seem to be pretty relaxed about the whole thing.
Reply 115
the cleanliness and the shower she said. But luckily I went to see it for myself before she told me all this so I wasn't put off too much. The receptionist who showed us around was really nice! and your common room was quite nice too.

aah thats too bad that it's put you off!

just to clear up about the cleanliness for anyone else

theres many different ways to avoid contact with anything unclean
firstly theres two sets of showers and toilets on each floor, if theres something putting you off one, then you can use the other, you can use showers and toilets on any floor

i find that the majority of days i go in, i wake up too late to shower (lol) so i end up coming home and showering, which means its clean
the cleaners come every day and if you shower after its been cleaned then its perfect!

i usually look into one shower cubicle, if its been used/looks wet (lol) i go to the next one! and theres always plenty that are clean and unused, same goes with toilets, there are so many, and there are ones which are always clean

the main advantage is that, as students, we are either busy or lazy and so having to clean a shower isnt at the top of most peoples to do lists!
until you've actually had to live like this, you dont realise that it's not too bad! (worst comes to worst, make friends at bankside and use their showers :tongue: they have nice showers in the ensuites!!)

theres always going to be bad stories and bad experiences to be fair! but it goes for most halls, unless you get a single ensuite
Since it says on the website that 5 meals a week will be provided with no opt out, does anyone know or think that the cost of CS will be much higher than previous years? :s-smilie:
Reply 117
Original post by JackB123

haha I like this. I chose CS as my preference choice...fingers crossed we get in :smile:
Reply 118
Original post by Ooo'Yeah

Original post by Ooo'Yeah
Since it says on the website that 5 meals a week will be provided with no opt out, does anyone know or think that the cost of CS will be much higher than previous years? :s-smilie:

well, it should certainly be below £125, the average meal is < £3.50, so at the current rent, £107 + (3.5 x 5) = £124.50
anything more, i think it will be suitable grounds for complaint, protest etc.

edit: fees adjust for inflation each year, so could be above this as well, fingers crossed it doesnt rise too much :s
Original post by Milan.
well, it should certainly be below £125, the average meal is < £3.50, so at the current rent, £107 + (3.5 x 5) = £124.50
anything more, i think it will be suitable grounds for complaint, protest etc.

edit: fees adjust for inflation each year, so could be above this as well, fingers crossed it doesnt rise too much :s

Oo I hope it doesn't rise too much either as I've just put CS as my first choice mainly for the location, the social side and the low price :tongue: I hope I get it :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending