The Student Room Group

Has crash-revision ever worked for you?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Cramming got me an A* on my geography:biggrin:(gcse) - but lead me to answering a question on the wrong article in englishD:, fortunately my coursework and other paper got my mark up but it taught me a lesson about triple expresso's in the morning after 3/4/5 o'clock bed times :P
Reply 21
The stuff I revise for most seems to be the stuff I do worse at for some reason
e.g. spent the majority of study leave studying for philosophy exam, second most revised was history. I did VERY poorly in these, low Cs...
least revision spent on media and environmental studies but I came out with 98-100% on those (I did actually come out of the media exam thinking I'd done badly and had forgotten to write XYZ, and came out of my history and philos exams quietly confident, so idk what this means. Maybe being more relaxed in exams because you've prepared well actually makes things worse?)
I've always been the 'start from the get go' person and I would revise at least 8 weeks before. I have slipped out of this mode and I feel as if I will not do well in my upcoming a2 exam - how do you people do it only a few days before?????
Reply 23
Original post by arabcnesbit
How do you memorise info so quickly? Could do with some tips.:coffee:

TBH, I never memorize........

What I do is before lectures, I read up and understand the concepts, at lectures I just pay attention and make sure I understand what the instructor is saying and look for ways and means to apply the knowledge.

The night and hours before, I just go through the textbook, slides and notes just to refresh my mind and understanding........ and I only memorize the key references.
Original post by Iorek
TBH, I never memorize........

What I do is before lectures, I read up and understand the concepts, at lectures I just pay attention and make sure I understand what the instructor is saying and look for ways and means to apply the knowledge.

The night and hours before, I just go through the textbook, slides and notes just to refresh my mind and understanding........ and I only memorize the key references.

Good advice :smile:
Reply 25
its never failed me
revising on the day of the exam
Would never forgive myself if I were to not do as well as I wanted to after cramming
Reply 27
Yes I have. For my GCSE physics unit 3 exam - the hardest one, I knew nothing until the morning of the day of the exam. All through the year in class I'd had difficulty understanding it, and wasn't doing very well, partly because I hated physics. Anyway, I'd had no time to revise before then due to illness. So I got to school at 9 in the morning. Revised solidly until 12, so for 3 hours - from the revision guide I had mainly. Then took a break for lunch, and went to the exam at 1.

I got 100% in that paper.

It does work.
not recommended but it can work if it's a lot of revision. Day before my PY2 (wjec board) psychology exam i did 7 hours of revision, writing out 40 revision cards. my wrist caned at the end but it worked.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 30
i've been cramming since my GCSE days (i'm now in university). so far it hasn't failed me, although i have seen a decline in my grades.

but yup, i never learn to actually revise on time, i'm still cramming.

it does work, but i don't recommend it. once you do cram, and realised it works (most of the time) it's hard to kick off the habit.
Reply 31
yeah
Reply 32
I find some people (such as myself) grasp a topic when learning in class, then cramming works because it is just to revise the extra details, and not the fundamental concept of the topic. I wish I could motivate myself to revise all through the year though, maybe for the final modules. For other people I know, they struggle to understand the concept and no matter how much they revise, without this fundamental knowledge they perform poorly in the exam. I think alot of it will come down to natural ability.
It did through GCSE and in one exam in A-Level. Business Studies, I got a C before and decided to resit and I got an A even though I'd only revised the hour before :colone:

Didn't work in Law though, first time round decided I wouldn't revise apart from the night before. I deserved my U, when I actually revised properly I got a B.
Reply 34
I'm CRAP at rote learning and spouting facts, but I have the sort of mind where if I understand a concept, I can apply it really well to different situations, so I tend to just take in everything through the course, and then few days before go over definitions and things that MUST be memorised...
Reply 35
It's what I mostly rely on. Not a good thing tbh.
Original post by Caustica
:lol: "apparently"

That made me laugh too!

I'm a weird one, I usually start early (well... in good time!) but then I burn out and I don't do anymore revision until I suddenly realise I have 3 days left until my exam and then I cram, cram, cram. Tends to work for me. Apart from when it doesn't... :tongue:
If I already know the subject, I'm ok, if I'm actually LEARNING the stuff? :no:
This is happening all over again with Psychology! Revised non-stop the past 2 weeks, then got bored and demotivated and now I have until Friday morning to know everything! Oh and I NEED an A. I hate myself! sigh:
Reply 37
A few times, but I got lucky. i.e - I have also been unlucky.
Reply 38
I always cram and I always hate myself for it!
Reply 39
I'll let you know on my AS results day in march.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending